Sign in with
Your question

Bought a 16:9 1080p monitor...did i make a mistake

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 26, 2010 4:21:39 AM

i need a new moniter so i just ordered an Acer 21.5in 1080P monitor(16:9)

but yesterday i hooked my pc up to my sisters 1080p tv and when i cranked the resolution all the way up it did not display my whole desktop...some was cut off...is it going to be the same story with my computer monitor? or do they "Work" in a different way

PLUS atm im borrowing my friends 1680x1050 20in(16:10) will there be a big difference in size? and will i lose perfomance on games because i have alot more res to push?

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT240(MSI)

PS: Could not find an exact forum for monitor if there is one link it and ill post there
October 26, 2010 4:34:37 AM

How did you hook up to the TV? If you used HDMI, you may have to manually resize the desktop, which you can do through the nVidia control panel. I encountered this problem myself on my HD TV, and I recently purchased a 24" 1080p monitor and using DVI, it worked perfectly without issue. so you most likely won't have anything to worry about.

About the GPU performance issue, you may experience a slight drop in performance, but it shouldn't be too big. Though, with a GT240, performance won't be the best.
m
l
October 26, 2010 4:39:43 AM

You will not have the same problem as with your sisters tv, specially if you use a DVI cable(it is digital and it detects the resolution automatically) or just set it manually to 1920x1080.

As for your friends monitor, i think yours is gonna feel bigger (i love my 16:9 monitor a lot more than my 16:10) specially for gaming where peripheral vision plays a bigger role. Movies will be bigger also since all movies nowdays are 16:9 so you will get a full screen while on a 16:10 you wouldn't.

Regarding the resolution , the higher the resolution the slower games will run but if you turn AA to 0 and some other settings to medium you should be fine. Save some money and buy a new gfx card if ur not happy heh.

Sebastian
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 26, 2010 4:55:37 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section Computer Peripherals by Mousemonkey
m
l
!