Inspiron - true 802.11g centrino?

I've read in a few places that the Inspiron isn't a true centrino owing to
the fact that Dell use 802.11g cards rather than an integrated wi-fi
chipset. Any truth or significance in this?

The Centrino "marketing label" from Intel. It's old enough that 802.11g
didn't exist, so including it 'breaks' the name.

Ignore it.

Tom
"Richard Lewis" <funkyt@TAKEOUTjumpy.it> wrote in message
> I've read in a few places that the Inspiron isn't a true centrino owing to
> the fact that Dell use 802.11g cards rather than an integrated wi-fi
> chipset. Any truth or significance in this?

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Exactly - Centrino is not a processor, as many believe but a label (as Tom
indicates) that encompasses the CPU, Chipset and 802.11b card - TOGETHER.

Dan

> The Centrino "marketing label" from Intel. It's old enough that 802.11g
> didn't exist, so including it 'breaks' the name.
>
> Ignore it.
>
> Tom
> "Richard Lewis" <funkyt@TAKEOUTjumpy.it> wrote in message
> > I've read in a few places that the Inspiron isn't a true centrino owing
> > the fact that Dell use 802.11g cards rather than an integrated wi-fi
> > chipset. Any truth or significance in this?

---