Programs don't open for about 10 mins

guru

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2002

Can someone please help me, I am having big computer problems. The problem is
that when I try to open programs, they dont open. I get an hourglass next to
my cursor and then nothing happens. I press alt+ctrl+del and same thing
happens. Then I leave the computer and about 10 mins later all the programs
open up together. I have spyware and antivirus programs. I've done full scans
with norton, trendmicro and panda antivirus, and with microsoft antispyware,
spybot and ad-aware. Everything comes up clean. I even done chkdsk(the hard
drive scanner in xp). I am very careful with security and have all windows
updates. At the same time this started happening there were problems with MSN
messenger. We have 3 computers on my network, but only mine is having the
aforementioned problems, however, on all 3 when MSN messenger signs in now it
freezes and is "Not Responding". Of the other computers one is win xp and the
other is win 98. Using windows messenger works but on all 3 msn messenger
freezes as soon as anyone signs in. All started happening at the same time.
For the unresponsive programs I done a system restore to 2 weeks earlier,
long before the problem was happening. This temporarily fixed the problem but
the it started happening again after a few days. Then I undone the system
restore and that fix it for a few days, and now once again it is doing it
again. Can anyone please help me cause I have no idea what to do?

Any help so greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Guru

guru

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2002

An update to this problem. Everything opens and works as soon as I unplug the
network cable connected to my computer. We have adsl internet connected with
a router. The router networks and provides internet access to 3 computers on
our network.

"Guru" wrote:

> Can someone please help me, I am having big computer problems. The problem is
> that when I try to open programs, they dont open. I get an hourglass next to
> my cursor and then nothing happens. I press alt+ctrl+del and same thing
> happens. Then I leave the computer and about 10 mins later all the programs
> open up together. I have spyware and antivirus programs. I've done full scans
> with norton, trendmicro and panda antivirus, and with microsoft antispyware,
> spybot and ad-aware. Everything comes up clean. I even done chkdsk(the hard
> drive scanner in xp). I am very careful with security and have all windows
> updates. At the same time this started happening there were problems with MSN
> messenger. We have 3 computers on my network, but only mine is having the
> aforementioned problems, however, on all 3 when MSN messenger signs in now it
> freezes and is "Not Responding". Of the other computers one is win xp and the
> other is win 98. Using windows messenger works but on all 3 msn messenger
> freezes as soon as anyone signs in. All started happening at the same time.
> For the unresponsive programs I done a system restore to 2 weeks earlier,
> long before the problem was happening. This temporarily fixed the problem but
> the it started happening again after a few days. Then I undone the system
> restore and that fix it for a few days, and now once again it is doing it
> again. Can anyone please help me cause I have no idea what to do?
>
> Any help so greatly appreciated.
> Regards,
> Guru

Maybe you would have better luck asking in:
microsoft.public.msn.messenger
There is also a newsgroup for XP messenger:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger

Guru wrote:
> Can someone please help me, I am having big computer problems. The
> problem is that when I try to open programs, they dont open. I get an
> hourglass next to my cursor and then nothing happens. I press
> alt+ctrl+del and same thing happens. Then I leave the computer and
> about 10 mins later all the programs open up together. I have spyware
> and antivirus programs. I've done full scans with norton, trendmicro
> and panda antivirus, and with microsoft antispyware, spybot and
> ad-aware. Everything comes up clean. I even done chkdsk(the hard
> drive scanner in xp). I am very careful with security and have all
> windows updates. At the same time this started happening there were
> problems with MSN messenger. We have 3 computers on my network, but
> only mine is having the aforementioned problems, however, on all 3
> when MSN messenger signs in now it freezes and is "Not Responding".
> Of the other computers one is win xp and the other is win 98. Using
> windows messenger works but on all 3 msn messenger freezes as soon as
> anyone signs in. All started happening at the same time. For the
> unresponsive programs I done a system restore to 2 weeks earlier,
> long before the problem was happening. This temporarily fixed the
> problem but the it started happening again after a few days. Then I
> undone the system restore and that fix it for a few days, and now
> once again it is doing it again. Can anyone please help me cause I
> have no idea what to do?
>
> Any help so greatly appreciated.
> Regards,
> Guru

I had a similar problem on my stand-alone XP SP2 home computer. I'm no guru
but, as do you, I go to great lengths to keep my system "clean". Come to
find out the culprit was a new video card and driver (nVidia) installed
"over" the old, built-in OEM card and driver (ATI). If this could possibly
apply to your situation, try Driver Cleaner at http://www.drivercleaner.net
Caution: Follow the instructions VERY CAREFULLY!!
HTH,
OldKenGoat