pc reboots

The thing is, I seem to have a pretty reasonable system going here and it just doesnt want to cooperate.
If I play games or run anything too cpu consuming, the damn computer just reboots.
So, if i'm asleep and my pc is on (and all the relevante programs I us) and the damn antivirus starts up its weekly scan, the pc crashes and simply reboots.

I changed my cooler once from the retail intel fan to a funky SPIRE fan. It improved a bit, but I still have the ocassional crash.

Stuff like installing a programm with a lot of small files, makes the damn thing reboot...

Physicly i can see two things to change. The case size and probably a better fan, maybe a thermaltake.

But I'm baffled by this problem.
Anyone have a clue what may be going wrong?

Note: strong processing of the cpu brings my cpu heat upto 53+ ºC...

My system:
OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 1)

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2433 MHz (6 x 406)
MB Name Chaintech 9BJD (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio)
MB Chipset Intel Brookdale i845D
System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (05/31/02)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX (32 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (64 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
Monitor Default Monitor (121916893)
Monitor Proview 772 (121916893)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738 Audio Chip
Audio Adapter Creative SB Live! 5.1 Sound Card

Storage
Disk Drive Maxtor 52049H3 (20 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Disk Drive ST340016A (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive _NEC DV-5800B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive AOPEN CD-RW CRW4048 (40x/12x/48x CD-RW)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
15 answers Last reply
More about reboots
  1. How many watts is your PSU???
  2. Does it crash as much with the side of the case open?

If that doesnt do anything then the problem possibly lies elsewhere...

The most common culprits being Bad ram or a poor quality PSU.

Test your ram out for errors using <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">http://www.memtest86.com</A>

Test your PSU out using a program like Motherboard Monitor 5. Check that the voltages are within +/- 5% for the +ve lines. (3.3v, 5v and 12v)

<b>I help because I'm so damned good!
    :smile:
    Regards,
    Mr no integrity coward.</b>
  3. My PSU seems fine cause the values I read for the voltages are very similar to those expected. So, prolly nothing wrong there. (Btw, it's 300W)

As for memory, I dunno if that could be the problem.
    I formatted the computer. Installed winxp nice and fresh, went to install an application (macromedia dreamweaver mx 2004 trial) and as it was installing the thousands of small files that the app contains, it just rebooted!

Only thing i had running was norton antivirus.

So, either PSU, Motherboard of memory. How does this memtest86 thingy really work?

I've already tried to stress the system and it handled well with loads and loads of things happenin'

Only every now and then it figures out to take a quick rest.

I'm trying to figure something out... so i can confront the store and get a replacement if something is wrong.
  4. I'm not really sure... u think the problem could be there?

Other information I can give you is that it's impossible to play games, even though i have a pretty good system. No matter what... even Warcraft III knocks the system down...

So... i'm not sure what it may be.
  5. U think I should suggest a higher PSU potency at the store?
    It'd be great if that was the problem... they'd just change it to a better one and off i'd go... :)
  6. I have exactly the same problem. Check here :

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=158899#158899

My PSU is 350W Hipper with gold contacts (newly replaced :/).

My problem, I'm pretty sure, is the MB. Read my post for details.
  7. hmmm.
    300W isnt exactly fantastic for the rig you are running.
    It could be problematic.

As for memtest its easy.
    You run it, and it loops over and over (about 30mins to do 1 full loop with 512mb of ram).
    If there are any problems, they show up as errors.
    You then either ease back on the memory timings, raise the memory voltage a little or if neither of those work, get new ram.

Regards,
  8. I went for breakfast at the café while the memtest did its job.
    You say it takes about 30 minutes? It was only on the 4th test and it had already been working for an hour and a half!
    Anyways, on the 3rd test, it found 2 errors.

So what does this mean? I have faulty ram?

easing back on memory timings and raising memory voltage seems a little out of my league and I'm not too sure i'll be doing so. Prolly take the thing to the store and have them replace it. I 512mb ddr dimm.

Once again i ask, do the errors mean the ram is faulty?
  9. hmmm yes
    Errors are bad.
    Either the ram is bad or is unfit somehow for the settings its run at.

Regards,
  10. 2 errors are that bad??? I have thousands after 1 pass and my computer is perfectly stable no matter what I throw at it.

I'd recommend that he replace the PSU first--it's an 300W PSU of unknown make and he has a decently large amount of hardware in there. If that fails to work, I'd tell him to check out the motherboard (I had the same problem on my last computer, turned out to be a motherboard problem).

Damn Rambus.
  11. i had similar problems and it was the generic ps that came with my cheap case...said 300 watts, but was a relabled 250 watt one. went to a 430 watt name brand, enermax i think? or antec....i fergot which, but my probs disappeared.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
  12. umm ya thats bad, i hope you dont run seti@home or any other software of that sort, because you are likely giving them faulse outputs. Increase the vdimm by .1v and i am sure that will help.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
    110% BX fanboy
  13. wow your brave.
    i wonder what all those errors are doing to things like your registry.

With some ram i had i got 3 errors in 8 HOURS of testing, yet that was enough to make my PC crash randomly in games. Quite annoying.
    Got new ram, no errors, no crashes.

Regards,
  14. yeah, I don't run seti and prime95 won't run...but I don't really care about aliens or highly selective prime numbers, so it's all cool.

I would turn it up except I can't, stupid bios for RDRAM. My computer runs fine with anything else, so I don't really care.

Damn Rambus.
  15. Wow, maybe I should give RDRAM more credit...seems that even 1000+ errors don't seem to do much damage. I do a registry scan once every two weeks, never any more than 1 or 2 errors. Heck, maybe memtest86 was corrupt and reported false errors. Either way, my computer runs everything except Prime95 (which makes sense)(I've never tried Seti@home--I really don't care about aliens, or highly selective prime numbers for that matter).

Damn Rambus.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs