Does Dell include restore discs?

Hi all ...

Yes, I have finally been doing some serious thinking about putting the
old PII-450 out to pasture.

I have been working on some Dell configs and it looks like it may be
the best buy of the major brands.

Question -- as prone as I am to knocking my machines into oblivion
trying to set up custom Linux / BSD configs and various other things,
I end up having to re-install Windows at least 2 - 3 times/year -- do
the Dell machines still come with restore CD's or are they doing that
restore partition business?

Thanks!

Ax

On 5 Oct 2004 12:03:56 -0700, Axinar wrote in

> Hi all ...
>
> Yes, I have finally been doing some serious thinking about putting the
> old PII-450 out to pasture.

Wow, you got a lot of use out of that one. ;-)

> I have been working on some Dell configs and it looks like it may be
> the best buy of the major brands.
>
> Question -- as prone as I am to knocking my machines into oblivion
> trying to set up custom Linux / BSD configs and various other things,
> I end up having to re-install Windows at least 2 - 3 times/year -- do
> the Dell machines still come with restore CD's or are they doing that
> restore partition business?

My Dimension 8400 came with a Windows XP Professional CD and a few other
CD's with various drivers and such on them. No partition type factory
install here. I especially like how I was able to just install Windows XP
Pro on the machine and then pick which Dell stuff I put on there if any at
all.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

They come with CDs that have Windows XP, the appplications, and the drivers.
Sort of like your R450. ;-)

"Axinar" <axinar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all ...
>
> Yes, I have finally been doing some serious thinking about putting the
> old PII-450 out to pasture.
>
> I have been working on some Dell configs and it looks like it may be
> the best buy of the major brands.
>
> Question -- as prone as I am to knocking my machines into oblivion
> trying to set up custom Linux / BSD configs and various other things,
> I end up having to re-install Windows at least 2 - 3 times/year -- do
> the Dell machines still come with restore CD's or are they doing that
> restore partition business?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ax

They come with both. If you wipe out the restore partition, you'll have to
manually reinstall and patch Windows.

"Axinar" <axinar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all ...
>
> Yes, I have finally been doing some serious thinking about putting the
> old PII-450 out to pasture.
>
> I have been working on some Dell configs and it looks like it may be
> the best buy of the major brands.
>
> Question -- as prone as I am to knocking my machines into oblivion
> trying to set up custom Linux / BSD configs and various other things,
> I end up having to re-install Windows at least 2 - 3 times/year -- do
> the Dell machines still come with restore CD's or are they doing that
> restore partition business?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ax

You get Windows XP disk that does not require you to enter the long CDKey.
You get a driver/utility disk
You get extra software disk
The only reason for the partition with the Setup is that it works in
conjunction with the XP disk to restore the computer to its factory load and
settings. If you choose to load Windows XP in the conventional method (not
using the setup partition) it will be just like what you are used to with
one exception...NO CDKEY needed.
I know because I just did it after partitioning my C drive into 2 partitions
C: and E:
Gary

Before someone thinks they can take a Dell Windows XP disk and use it on any
computer because it does not need the CDKey..they are likely very wrong..It
appears to be tied to that machine it came with and sets up with necessary
utilities and drivers to work with THAT machine.

It does not install the drivers and utilities specific to your machine. It
customizes some of the running services (shuts off some services that are
not needed) and installs a DELL Solutions icon on the Start menu, which is
only a link to a web page with links to DELL support and such. That is all.
You need to install any drivers for your hardware, unless they are already
included with Windows XP.

The OS IS meant to be installed on the machine with which it was purchased,
per the OEM License Agreement. I don't know if it would install on any DELL
machine, but it definitely will not install on a non-DELL motherboard. It
also does not require a CD key or activation. You are only supposed to
install it on the machine it came with.

"Gary Avrett" <designer852@sbcglobal.net_nospam> wrote in message
> Before someone thinks they can take a Dell Windows XP disk and use it on
> any computer because it does not need the CDKey..they are likely very
> wrong..It appears to be tied to that machine it came with and sets up with
> necessary utilities and drivers to work with THAT machine.

It's not tied to the machine. It's tied to a machine with Dell BIOS.

Tom
"Gary Avrett" <designer852@sbcglobal.net_nospam> wrote in message
> Before someone thinks they can take a Dell Windows XP disk and use it on
> any computer because it does not need the CDKey..they are likely very
> wrong..It appears to be tied to that machine it came with and sets up with
> necessary utilities and drivers to work with THAT machine.

RonJ

On 5 Oct 2004 12:03:56 -0700, axinar@yahoo.com (Axinar) wrote:

- do
>the Dell machines still come with restore CD's or are they doing that
>restore partition business?

Just got my 8400 last week. The CD's that came in the box are:

Resource CD = device drivers, diags and documentation
Cyberlink DVD Software CD
WordPerfect Productivity CD
SoundBlaster Live CD
Sonic Record Now and DVD
DELL Tools CD = anti-virus, support, multimedia and Internet software
Modem CD
AND
Reinstallation CD/MS Windows XP Pro including Service Pack 2

Haven't had to use any of them yet.

CD's came with their FREE printer and monitor as well.

Watson

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004

The OS is tied to a particular BIOS. You can change all the hardware
including the motherboard. It will install as long as the BIOS of the
motherboard is the same.

watson,
I take it that flashing the BIOS to a newer one won't affect using the
provided XP recovery CD, correct.
Paul

"watson" <watsonhsx@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The OS is tied to a particular BIOS. You can change all the hardware
> including the motherboard. It will install as long as the BIOS of the
> motherboard is the same.

Still not true. Just has to be a Dell BIOS.

How would you change the motherboard and keep the same BIOS?

Tom
"watson" <watsonhsx@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The OS is tied to a particular BIOS. You can change all the hardware
> including the motherboard. It will install as long as the BIOS of the
> motherboard is the same.

Watson

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004

> watson,
> I take it that flashing the BIOS to a newer one won't affect using the
> provided XP recovery CD, correct.
> Paul

Yes. Upgrading a BIOS means you are just upgrading to a new version of the
same BIOS.

My understanding is the OS is set to install over a group of BIOS.

Watson

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004

> Still not true. Just has to be a Dell BIOS.
>
> How would you change the motherboard and keep the same BIOS?

You are correct.

I got the statement from the Microsoft XP site. The site said it is upto the
OEM to set what BIOS the OS could install.

Dell will obviously set the OS to install over a group of Dell BIOS.