Sign in with
Your question

Having trouble intalling SSD in my new notebook

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
April 6, 2010 4:54:04 PM

Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted.

I recently purchased one of the ASUS g73jh-x1 notebooks and a corsair p128 SSD to install in it.

For those unfamiliar, the system specs are:
Processor: Intel Core i7 720QM
Chipset: Mobile Intel HM55 Express
Memory: 8 GB DDR3 667MHz SODIMM
Video chip: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870, 1G GDDR5 VRAM
HDD: 500 GB (7200rpm)

My issue is that when i remove the original 500 gig HDD from the notebook, I can't boot from the SSD or the windows 7 disk anymore.

The bios recognizes the SSD.

Windows recognizes the SSD as long as I boot into windows from the original 500 gig hard drive.

So I booted from the original HDD, formatted my new SSD to ntfs, and created a single partition.

Then I rebooted, and used my disk to install windows 7 on the SSD. (which was recognized during the install, as long as I still have the original HDD in the machine)

When I rebooted after that, the bootloader recognized both windows 7 installs and asked me which one I wanted to boot into. (dual boot)

Then I shut down, removed the 500 gig HDD, and tried to boot from the windows disk again so I could "repair" my new windows install (ie write the MBR to the SSD) but I got nothing.

No "press any key to boot from disk", just a flashing cursor after the bios screen.

I have tried a few variations, but nothing seems to get any response unless the original 500 gig HDD is in the laptop. Any time I take it out, I can't boot at all using anything, even my knoppix disk.

I don't want to format the HDD until I sort this out, I am afraid I'll have a paperweight after that.

Any thoughts or suggestions, anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2010 6:15:11 PM

...why not just remove the 500GB and install windows on the SSD without the other disk present? Then put the 500GB back in and transfer your files over.
April 6, 2010 6:56:47 PM

Because when I remove the 500gb drive, I can't boot from the windows 7 install disk.

When I remove the 500gb drive, I can't boot period.
From anything.

What you suggested is actually the first thing I tried when i got the notebook, yanked the original hdd out, threw in the SDD, and tried to install a fresh copy of windows. Needless to say I was surprised when it wouldn't boot.

The 500gb drive doesn't have anything on it but windows and bloatware, so I don't even have anything to transfer. Once I get the SSD up and running i am just going to format the 500gb HDD and use it for storage.

Thanks for the reply though. :) 
April 6, 2010 11:01:58 PM

Ok, I poked around in the BIOS, and when I enabled an option called "uefi boot" it allowed me to boot from the windows 7 disk and install on to my SSD, even when my other hard drive wasn't in the machine.

I dunno why I needed to do that, but if anyone has the same problem, that fixes it.
!