ES40 hanging

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Hi

Our ES40 (4 CPU's, 6 GB memory, tru64 5.1b, all disks in MA8000/HGG80) hangs
once a month (for six months now):
nothing in logfiles,
not pingable,
halt button doesn't work ...

Maintenance company and HP (Belgium) don't have a clue.

Any idea's ?

Actions already taken:
memory : switched
cpu : switched
riser card memory : replaced
case : recplaced
memory : replaced

TIA

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:19:00 +0200
"DeeWee" <1@2.3> wrote:

> Any idea's ?

Is there any pattern to the hangs, or is it simply a random occurence?

--
Stefaan
--

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

no pattern found

"Stefaan A Eeckels" <tengo@DELETEMEecc.lu> schreef in bericht
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:19:00 +0200
> "DeeWee" <1@2.3> wrote:
>
>> Any idea's ?
>
> Is there any pattern to the hangs, or is it simply a random occurence?
>
> --
> Stefaan
> --
> "What is stated clearly conceives easily." -- Inspired sales droid

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:37:07 +0200
"DeeWee" <1@2.3> wrote:

> no pattern found

What about power problems? I suppose you're on a UPS,
but I've seen spikes and glitches produced by very
expensive UPS installations. Staying with power, are
you sure there are no mechanical problems with your
power supply cables? One problem that bugged me no
end was a power cable that got squashed whenever
someone walked on a particular floor tile, and this
made the machine reboot. You might have done this
already, but if not, install a recording power monitor.

Another thing you might want to look at is the chassis.
It would seem you've replaced all the boards, but if
the interconnects are playing up (something simple as
a bad floor tile that sags and the resulting strain
on the cabinet opens a bad solder patch somewhere),
it could explain the random crashes.

Finally, are you sure you don't have someone with
a strong Murphy field on staff (don't laugh, some
people manage to crash any computer they come too
close to :).

Take care,

--
Stefaan
--

On the seventh day, Stefaan A Eeckels wrote...

> Finally, are you sure you don't have someone with
> a strong Murphy field on staff (don't laugh, some
> people manage to crash any computer they come too
> close to :).

Also, are you connected to a network? You may have an intruder firing a DoS
or crashing your potentially unsecure system by purpose...

Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson. You find the present tense,
and the past perfect.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Yes, it is on an UPS. But on this UPS there are 3 DS20E, 7 Compaq Proliant
server, 2 disk cabinets, .... all with no problems. So I think spikes aren't
the problem ... however I'll ask netwerk services about monitoring the UPS.
Just asked about the UPS ... it converts AC to DC and DC to AC (permanent)
so spikes are impossible.

The floor is concrete! The last few times the problem occured was during the
middle of the night or in the weekend ... no one around jumping on the floor
,-).

Murphy ?? We think he is living here, but we are lucky, sometimes he is on
hollyday ;o)

All CPU's are going the be replaced and the batteries of the MA8000.

The machine doesn't crash, doesn't reboot it just freezes

Thanks