Can't access certain websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigya13

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Hello,

Recently, I could not access certain websites like Facebook. They will not load properly or won't load at all. I tried accessing them through my Phone and another laptop on the same Home Wifi connection and it works just fine on them.
I tried clearing my cache, flushing the DNS, installing Malwarebytes, running scans.

I use Windows 7, Home Premium edition. Microsoft Security Essentials.

rigya13

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

Still can't access. Facebook loads now but can't surf to other pages. :cry:
Some other websites like sparknotes still won't load.

haseeb_asgamer23

Honorable
May 10, 2012

may be the pc you are using is protected by some parental control software.. many times it happens that someone like our elders restrict our internet usage so that we can not waste our time etc. I think the "chat" websites are blocked.

rigya13

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

Pretty sure that is not the case. No body other than me have used this laptop, nor I let anyone use it. Mum has her own.

rigya13

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

I did. Firefox, Chrome and even IE. Same results. I just got my Wifi router changed. Can that be the problem? But the sites load perfectly on the other laptop and phone too.

djlewis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
It's fixed. Details...

Time passed. Verizon installed a new modem for my sister (not specifically because of this, as far as we know). More time passed. My sister wanted her system one way or another, so I sent it back to her. She tried it on a neighbor's Time-Warner account and it worked. She took it back to her apartment and tried it on her Verizon hookup -- it worked!

Surmise -- Verizon had some screwy settings that conflicted with some of HP's screwy settings. Verizon got numerous complaints and fixed it.

My next move was going to be to call repair shops and services in my sister's town and describe and describe the problem, in the hope that others had seen it too with the local Verizon. Luckily that turned out to be unnecessary. Last resort was to be -- switch internet providers.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wasn't this the gol-dangest problem? I think it's the only PC issue I have ever failed to solve. Or maybe it was a hallucination -- really gotta lay off the flavored seltzer.

garysy

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
I could not get some websites to load on ANY browser using my HP Pavilion DV7. These pages would not load on my desktop either. I went into the Network Sharing Center. Clicked on Wireless Network Connection. Then I clicked on Properties. I unchecked AppEx Network Accelerator and clicked OK. After that ALL pages loaded on ALL browsers.

garysy

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
I could not get some websites to load on ANY browser using my HP Pavilion DV7. These pages would not load on my desktop either. I went into the Network Sharing Center. Clicked on Wireless Network Connection. Then I clicked on Properties. I unchecked AppEx Network Accelerator and clicked OK. After that ALL pages loaded on ALL browsers.

edlathuile

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
I found it was my web protection on my anti virus software that was causing the problem. If you de-activate it and then try the websites that won't load that should fix the problem. Web protection features have only recently been added to antivirus software like AVIRA and Norton and usually cause this problem with opening certain websites. If you have your firewall activated you don't really need web protection as well. On some antivirus software like AVIRA you may have deactivate it though every time you restart your computer as it activates by default each time.

sumitpaul

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
I am a web developer by profession. I also face similar issue quiet a few times ago. Everytime i noticed that this is my ISP blocking some ports Or it is a Firewall issue at their end. Calling or submitting a ticket solved my issues everytime i faced before. I am also using a Win7 64 Bit OS PC with Kaspersky Internet Security and a TP Link modem with wired Broadband.

vinceapp

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

Did you install AMD with Quick Stream on both your laptop and desktop? If yes, you can try the latest release. Download it from (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDQuickStreamTechnology.aspx) and install it on your PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.