A: drive stroke at logoff and shutdown

Some of my users are having a problem. The floppy drive is accessed by the
system
at logoff and shutdown. I thought this to be a WordPerfect issue, old WP
stroked A: looking for WP files. I have some PC's doing that. The one this
morning was a user
copying files off a floppy from a digital camera. Now his PC is doing it to.

Any Ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about drive stroke logoff shutdown

    G wrote:
    > Some of my users are having a problem. The floppy drive is accessed by the
    > system
    > at logoff and shutdown. I thought this to be a WordPerfect issue, old WP
    > stroked A: looking for WP files. I have some PC's doing that. The one this
    > morning was a user
    > copying files off a floppy from a digital camera. Now his PC is doing it to.
    >
    > Any Ideas?

    Check the AV software on the impacted machines. Often that is
    configured to scan the floppy drive at logoff or shutdown.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    You're right. Symantec in the office is set to scan floppy drive, however it
    did not make noise on this user's PC until after he downloaded the photo's.
    Same goes for the other 9 or 10 PC's affected. They accessed a floppy through
    Word Perfect, now the PC noisily accesses the A: drive at logoff and shutdown.

    G wrote:

    > You're right. Symantec in the office is set to scan floppy drive, however it
    > did not make noise on this user's PC until after he downloaded the photo's.
    > Same goes for the other 9 or 10 PC's affected. They accessed a floppy through
    > Word Perfect, now the PC noisily accesses the A: drive at logoff and shutdown.

    Sometimes I have found that by putting a disk in drive A:, opening
    Windows Explorer, highlighting A:, then highlight C:, then removing the
    disk and closing Explorer solves this problem.

    It seems that if A: was the last thing highlighted in Windows Explorer,
    it sometimes causes this problem.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

    Setting a file on the A: drive as a recently accessed document will
    cause this. Simply look in the recent doc listing and delete the shortcut.

    G wrote:

    > You're right. Symantec in the office is set to scan floppy drive, however it
    > did not make noise on this user's PC until after he downloaded the photo's.
    > Same goes for the other 9 or 10 PC's affected. They accessed a floppy through
    > Word Perfect, now the PC noisily accesses the A: drive at logoff and shutdown.
    >
    > "Tom Porterfield" wrote:
    >

    >>G wrote:
    >>
    >>>Some of my users are having a problem. The floppy drive is accessed by the
    >>>system
    >>>at logoff and shutdown. I thought this to be a WordPerfect issue, old WP
    >>>stroked A: looking for WP files. I have some PC's doing that. The one this
    >>>morning was a user
    >>>copying files off a floppy from a digital camera. Now his PC is doing it to.
    >>>
    >>>Any Ideas?
    >>
    >>Check the AV software on the impacted machines. Often that is
    >>configured to scan the floppy drive at logoff or shutdown.
    >>--
    >>Tom Porterfield
    >>MS-MVP Windows
    >>http://support.telop.org
    >>
    >>Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Floppy Disk Shutdown Windows XP