ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I noted that the restore point might be overwritten by automatic creation of
restore point. Can someone advise me how long a restore point remains
intact for future system restore and is it possible to keep a restore point
permanent.

Thanks,

Ray

System Restore retains restore points for the last
90 days only. It is not possible to retain a single
Restore Point.

Microsoft Windows XP System Restore
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/windowsxpsystemrestore.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Ray wrote:

> I noted that the restore point might be overwritten by automatic
> creation of restore point. Can someone advise me how long a restore
> point remains intact for future system restore

You allocate a certain amount of disk space (by default, 12% of the total,
but you can, and usually should, make it much less). Restore points vary in
size, but once your 12% or whatever is filled up, the oldest ones get
removed each day to make room for the newer ones. So how long a particular
restore point remains intact depends on how much space you give it, and all
restore points are subject to a maximum retention of 90 days.

Restore points aren't generally much use if they are older than a couple of
weeks, since too much will have changed in that time. That's why I recommend
reducing that 12% substantially.

> and is it possible to
> keep a restore point permanent.

It is neither possible nor desirable. Do not think of a restore point as a
substitute for backup. It does nothing for your data files, and only backs
up critical system files.

Please reply to the newsgroup
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

In addition, here are some tip for adjusting disk space used to store restore points and
keeping System Restore healthy.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

In news:OMqTln9rFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> typed:

> It is not possible to retain a single
> Restore Point.

That's not correct, Carey. It's possible to delete all Restore
Points but the last, thereby retaining a single Restore Point.

Ken Blake wrote:
> In news:OMqTln9rFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> typed:
>
>> It is not possible to retain a single
>> Restore Point.
>

> That's not correct, Carey. It's possible to delete all Restore
> Points but the last, thereby retaining a single Restore Point.

Absolutely, I do this regularly in disk cleanup.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the person that's doing it."

Ok, Well I am kind of new to this resstoe point think. Could you share this
bit of info. plz. Thanks

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> In news:OMqTln9rFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> typed:
>>
>>> It is not possible to retain a single
>>> Restore Point.
>>

>> That's not correct, Carey. It's possible to delete all Restore
>> Points but the last, thereby retaining a single Restore Point.
>

> Absolutely, I do this regularly in disk cleanup.
>

> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
> way of the person that's doing it."

Go into disk cleanup - start-all programs- accessories-system tools - disk
cleanup.

Choose the volume to cleanup, typically c, then click ok.
Then, click on the " more options" tab, and at the bottom you will see " you
can free more disk space by removing all but the most recent restore point".
Click the cleanup tab by this , and ok. This will remove all previous
restore points except for your very last one.

Helps keep the hard drive from getting cluttered up with restore points,
however obviously, you should only do this if your system is running well
and your confident you won't need to restore any further back than your most
recent restore point.

Don Burnette