CPU compatibility

Rommis

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2003
I have a "Dell Dimension 8200" with Intel 850 chipset and P4 1,8GHz/400MHz CPU. Dell says that 2,4GHz/400MHz is the fastest CPU I can use in my system. My question: Is it possible to put an P4 2,4GHz/533MHz CPU in a motherboard that only support 400MHz bus clock? Can this kind of CPU clock down to 400MHz bus? Will the bus speed also clock down the CPU speed (2,4GHz)?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A 2.4GHz 533 bus P4 will run at only 1.8GHz on such systems that only support a 400 bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, you need a 2.4GHz P4 with 400MHz bus!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Or, you could be happy with what you have or replace everything. FSB400 is outdated, don't whine if nobody cares about it anymore or bothers producing the latest and greatest processor for it.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.