USB-mouse in PS/2 port

September 2, 2005 10:22:51 PM

I have a new USB mouse. But due to limited free USB ports I want to
use it in the PS/2 port. So I found an adapter (USB->PS/2) and plugged
it in. Mouse lights up (so I has power), but XP doesn't find anything.
If I plug in my old PS/2 mouse it's detected OK. What is wrong?

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

More about : usb mouse port

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 10:22:52 PM

I know its a stupid question but you have rebooted with the mouse in the PS2
port rather than plugging it in when it was running??

Could be a faulty adapter. Is it been recognised in Device manager?

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
>I have a new USB mouse. But due to limited free USB ports I want to
> use it in the PS/2 port. So I found an adapter (USB->PS/2) and plugged
> it in. Mouse lights up (so I has power), but XP doesn't find anything.
> If I plug in my old PS/2 mouse it's detected OK. What is wrong?
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 10:22:52 PM

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
>I have a new USB mouse. But due to limited free USB ports I want to
> use it in the PS/2 port. So I found an adapter (USB->PS/2) and plugged
> it in. Mouse lights up (so I has power), but XP doesn't find anything.
> If I plug in my old PS/2 mouse it's detected OK. What is wrong?
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

In addition to the rebooting as suggested, consider the following:

Microsoft recommends that their USB mouse be connected to the Mouse
PS/2 port and provides a mouse USB to PS/2 with the package.

There are two types of USB to PS/2 adapters one for a USB keyboard and
one for a USB mouse. Are you sure that the adapter you are using is a mouse
adapter?

Verify that you are connecting the mouse to the mouse PS/2 port and not
the keyboard PS/2 port.

Don
September 2, 2005 10:39:17 PM

Niall Merrigan skrev:

> I know its a stupid question but you have rebooted with the mouse in the PS2
> port rather than plugging it in when it was running??

Yep :-)

> Could be a faulty adapter. Is it been recognised in Device manager?

Nope. Only when I plug in the original PS/2 mouse.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:09:25 PM

Don MI <> skrev:

> Microsoft recommends that their USB mouse be connected to the Mouse
> PS/2 port and provides a mouse USB to PS/2 with the package.
>
> There are two types of USB to PS/2 adapters one for a USB keyboard and
> one for a USB mouse. Are you sure that the adapter you are using is a mouse
> adapter?
>
> Verify that you are connecting the mouse to the mouse PS/2 port and not
> the keyboard PS/2 port.

1) The adapter was in a Logitech Click mouse package, but I'm trying
to use it with a Dell USB mouse now.

2) The USB Mouse works when I plug it in the USB port

3) My old PS/2 mouse (Microsoft) works in the PS/2 mouse port

4) And yes, it's the mouse port, the keyboard port has a keyboard

PS! Also the LED on the mouse is working when plugged in with the
adaptor, but XP won't detect it (and when I try to install a driver
manually there is no Mouse drivers to select from in XP....)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:06:17 AM

Logitech USB mice may need their driver install before you connect the mouse
itslef.

You should now be looking at adding a self-powered USB hub. This will
provide you additional USP ports. The USB protocols (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) allows
up to 127 device all connected on the USB channel.

> Don MI <> skrev:
>
>> Microsoft recommends that their USB mouse be connected to the Mouse
>> PS/2 port and provides a mouse USB to PS/2 with the package.
>>
>> There are two types of USB to PS/2 adapters one for a USB keyboard
>> and
>> one for a USB mouse. Are you sure that the adapter you are using is a
>> mouse
>> adapter?
>>
>> Verify that you are connecting the mouse to the mouse PS/2 port and
>> not
>> the keyboard PS/2 port.
>
> 1) The adapter was in a Logitech Click mouse package, but I'm trying
> to use it with a Dell USB mouse now.
>
> 2) The USB Mouse works when I plug it in the USB port
>
> 3) My old PS/2 mouse (Microsoft) works in the PS/2 mouse port
>
> 4) And yes, it's the mouse port, the keyboard port has a keyboard
>
> PS! Also the LED on the mouse is working when plugged in with the
> adaptor, but XP won't detect it (and when I try to install a driver
> manually there is no Mouse drivers to select from in XP....)
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 8:29:16 PM

Yves Leclerc skrev:

> You should now be looking at adding a self-powered USB hub. This will
> provide you additional USP ports. The USB protocols (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) allows
> up to 127 device all connected on the USB channel.

I have a hub that fits in the 3,5" slot at front, just haven't mounted
it (my system is full and hot enough allready, so I though 6 would be
enough ports.... but but...)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
September 5, 2005 2:30:01 AM

One big thing is that ps2 ports are not hot swapable so when you plug in a
ps2 mouse you have to reboot the system or plug it in when the system is off
and then start the system

"Lars-Erik Xsterud" wrote:

> Yves Leclerc skrev:
>
> > You should now be looking at adding a self-powered USB hub. This will
> > provide you additional USP ports. The USB protocols (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) allows
> > up to 127 device all connected on the USB channel.
>
> I have a hub that fits in the 3,5" slot at front, just haven't mounted
> it (my system is full and hot enough allready, so I though 6 would be
> enough ports.... but but...)
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:03:34 AM

Dilligaf skrev:

> One big thing is that ps2 ports are not hot swapable so when you plug in a
> ps2 mouse you have to reboot the system or plug it in when the system is off
> and then start the system

Yep, but it does not help booting.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605