Computer noise in monitors (speakers)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sach160

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Hi,

I have an issue with my studio pc and monitors I'm hoping someone can advise on. I've researched threads but not found this specific issue anywhere.

My audio interface is the fireface 800 and I have genelec 8040a monitors. I can hear computer noise through my monitors - a kinda modemy/disk access bleeping squelching thing. The volume of the noise is the same regardless of the volume set on pc, and the volume is not audible through headphones connected to the fireface. All unnecessary devices - wifi, Ethernet, modem, in built sound and are disabled in device manager.

Now the weird bit - the monitors have xlr input and are connected to the balanced jack outs of my fireface via a monster thx i100 RCA cable and RCA to xlr adaptor on the monitor end. The noise disappears on a monitor if I touch the adapter and move it about a bit on the monitor (this applies to both monitors) but after a while appears again. So my question -

1. Is this likely to be a dodgy adapter or RCA cable issue?
2. Regardless of the issue, what is the best possible way to connect my monitor to my fireface - it can't be via my adapter method can it?

Many thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.