OPINION: Eight Ball Deluxe or Eight Ball Champ?

Nostalga completely aside, which is the better game? EBD is certainly more
popular, but I have seen some support for EBC. Given the new ruleset for
EBD, which is the better game? EBC seems to have more specific targets
spread across the playfield as opposed to the one big bank, but EBD seems to
have more "things" to shoot for (left extra ball lane, in-line drops, etc).
Not talking about price (or value) at all and assuming either game was in
perfect working and cosmetic condition, which one should I consider adding
to my early 80's collection?

Thanks for any opinions.

EBD..... classic gameplay with the drops. EBC is very similar to
Fathom without the multiball (shot are sort of the same)

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

EBC is more of a pick-and-shoot with the scattered drop targets. Nice
to see that EB, EBD and EBC are all so very different, unlike say BK
and BK2K where the lineage is obvious on the lower playfield at least.
I have the new ruleset for EBD but it is not that important of a new
feature and it is DAMN hard to complete without negating the whole
thing by hitting the wrong Deluxe target or two at once, with the way
the ball likes to just bounce around and hit that area on it's own.
And hitting the right one on purpose ain't easy either. But it is cool
to have something new on such an old game.
For future value I have to go with EBD over EBC also. But if there was
ever an EBC around my area in nice shape I'd snap it up, there just
never is one!...Frenchy

I definitely like the classic play of EBD. I own Eight Ball and EBC
already. EBC is a great and highly underrated game. It has the
strategy and difficulty of EBD, but the targets are scattered about the
playfield instead of in one big bank. I do see some similarities to
the Fathom layout. I think having only 2 pops on EBC makes for less
frenzied upper PF action than EBD. EBC also doesn't have in-line drops
which are a great part of EBD or any Bally PF for that matter. EBC has
the same great speech as EBD, just pitched a bit higher.

EBC was a failure when it was new as it couldn't compete with the likes
of Comet, High Speed and Pinbot. It was a single level, single ball
game that looked dated for the time. Thus the short production run of
1500 units. If you play the game now, not comparing it to the other
games of 1985/86, it is a fantastic player.

I still haven't gotten a nice EBD to complete my "Eight Ball"
collection. I was sniped on a nice one 2 weeks ago locally that went
over $3K at the last moment. I also bid on one in Oregon, but didn't
meet the reserve at $2200.

I'll keep looking I guess...

Eklektik wrote:
> Nostalga completely aside, which is the better game? EBD is certainly more
> popular, but I have seen some support for EBC. Given the new ruleset for
> EBD, which is the better game? EBC seems to have more specific targets
> spread across the playfield as opposed to the one big bank, but EBD seems to
> have more "things" to shoot for (left extra ball lane, in-line drops, etc).
> Not talking about price (or value) at all and assuming either game was in
> perfect working and cosmetic condition, which one should I consider adding
> to my early 80's collection?
>
> Thanks for any opinions.

Just buy Sharkeys Shootout.

It's just as exciting as EBD!

(And it has a RAMP and a magic 8 ball. too!!!!)

:)

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8