svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
I just put together a new system and all that shows up on the monitor is the mobo logo, it doesn't go to bios or run diagnostic test upon boot up.
Gigabyte GA-8knxp
Asus radeon 9800xt
Intel 3.2ghz
Kingston Hyper x pc3500 512 x2 ddr
powersupplies are good with in .05vdc
all fans on cpu and chipset are working
I don't smell any burning or see any smoke
when I power up all I get is one beep and then the keyboard flashes once then the display gives the logos of gigabyte and intel
any suggestions would be great thanks

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
is your graphics card pushed in properly, is your ram fully in and in the right slots. is your XT extra power cable plugged in properly? is the processors mobo connector in the right place?

if all of these are right then you might have a faulty product.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6973142" target="_new">3dmark2001</A>

2.4C @ 3.0G
Asus P4C800
Corsair 2x512 3200
Sapphire 9600pro @ 500/700
80G Seagate S-ATA150

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Try unplugging everything apart from CPU, RAM & Gfx card. See if it gets anywhere then.

If it still doesn't work, try removing it from the case and running it (still with gfx, CPU & RAM) on a non-conductive surface. if that works then you've probably got a little mounting post in the case that's causing a short on the back of the motherboard. make sure that all the posts match with screw holes in the mobo.

One thing puzzles me...:
, it doesn't go to bios or run diagnostic test upon boot up.......powersupplies are good with in .05vdc
How do you know the PSU is good if you can't get to BIOS or windows to check? unless you're manually measuring with a voltmeter I guess, but it's difficult to simulate LOAD conditions in those circumstances.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
I just finished checking out with the cards out of the case and the same symptoms have occured. Just a display with gigabyte logos across the center and an Intel inside logo. So am I looking at a bad cpu, or a mobo

as to checking power supplies under load just have thin leads to go into the atx power connector and check the voltages you'll get pretty close to actual.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Looks like you're right there then...
The only other thing I can think of suggesting is to remove the CPU and see if maybe one or two pins are bent so they didn't get in the appropriate holes & instead got squashed when you put the HSF on. If that's the case, then you could have a go at straightening them carefully, but it seems more likely something is dead.

[EDIT]
Nimble Knuckle! I have been promoted...
[/EDIT]

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 11/13/03 04:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
checked the cpu and cleared the bios by removing battery, still same is it possible that the gfx is bad, on my other computer I only get one beep before going into the start up display.

G

Could be a memory thing as well; maybe your board is configured to default ram speed to SPD, which could be too high with your DDR3500. try with a slower stick to get into the bios.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
so i used a pci video card i had laying around and guess what I can get into the bios and set everything up, but the cpu says 1.6ghz (100 x 16) does that sound right for a 3.2 ghz chip? guess I'm going to have to get an rma for the video card this is most unpleasant.

G

1.6 GHz is "right", you just have to change your FSB to 200/800 in your bios.

If it works with a PCI card, and not a AGP card, please check your bios settings for primary display adaptor and set it to AGP.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
Apperently Giga-byte knows of the problem with the asus 9800xt card not working with their board at start up, they say there is a bios upgrade for the asus graphics card, there is no problems with the ATI manufactured board. Its amazing what information you can get by talking to different people. They also said i'm the first to get the card working that has this problem past the initial start up. I guess the pci card trick untill you get to windows then you can switch over the the AGP card. Asus at this point doesn't have an bios upgrade and of course they won't help you until you've gone on line and filled out their "help form" Well the process has started.
Where in the bios do you set the fsb to 200/800? I didn't see that option anywhere, or an option for agp or pci graphic cards.
one other iritating discovery with the asus card, its supposed to have 256mb ram but the hard ware device only shows the card having 128mb anybody else out there have any experience with this card?

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
After upgrading the bios, and looking through all the options I finially found the setting for AGP or PCI graphics card use. It had been set from the factory as PCI, boy doesn't this just make sense a upgrade motherboard sent out with the bios set for PCI??????? After setting the bios to AGP and rebooting, well amazing the Asus board works, has 256mb of ram and the software then identified my monitor, and after all this all I can say is WOW what a great card. I want to thank all of you who gave out advice and helped out.

when all is said and done, what you've done for your neighbor is most important