Win98 on a T500

I inherited a Dell Dimension T500. It currently has WinXP on it, but I
am going to use it for some of my kids games (they require Win98 or
ME).

I'm using an old minimal "boot disk" that will fire up DOS and
recognize the CD and the hard drive. It is a Win95 version of DOS.

I try to run the Win98 or WinME installs (on the CD's) from this boot
enviroment, and it just hangs. Any ideas?

Thanks

Wiley
3 answers Last reply
More about win98 t500

    Have you tried the Program Compatibility Wizard?

    Rocky

    Wiley wrote:
    > I inherited a Dell Dimension T500. It currently has WinXP on it, but I
    > am going to use it for some of my kids games (they require Win98 or
    > ME).

    If it's got a free 5.25" front accessible bay, try using a drive caddy, and
    have two seperate hard disks - one for XP, one from Windows 98

    Pete.

    win xp is really much better on this system than 98 or me. loading 98 or me
    means having to download and install all the drivers (video, sound, modem,
    etc) which are available at support.dell.com but a hassle to do... xp has
    them all built in, and is already loaded... so before you blow away a good
    working operating system i suggest that you try loading the games that you
    have. should they not work, it would likely be do to color depth of just
    256 being required by the game and xp being set to something much higher...
    this can be worked around by simply pointing to the game icon that was
    placed on your desktop when the game was installed, clicking the right mouse
    button, and selecting properties... then select the 'compatibility' tab, and
    check off 'run in 256 colors.' there are other setting in this same
    compatibility window that may be necessary to tweak to get the game to
    play... also, don't underestimate the value in visiting the game makers web
    site for xp compatibility tips for each of the specific games. good luck.

    "Wiley" <we_coyote@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I inherited a Dell Dimension T500. It currently has WinXP on it, but I
    > am going to use it for some of my kids games (they require Win98 or
    > ME).
    >
    > I'm using an old minimal "boot disk" that will fire up DOS and
    > recognize the CD and the hard drive. It is a Win95 version of DOS.
    >
    > I try to run the Win98 or WinME installs (on the CD's) from this boot
    > enviroment, and it just hangs. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Wiley

Dell CD-Rom Computers