Enable hibernation for your friends!!!!!

Good freaking grief.

I can't tell you how many folk's system's I've come across (in casual "help
me help me" scenarios :) ) that don't have hibernation turned on.

Over and over.

There is nothing like being able to hit the power button, have the machine
turn on in 7 seconds, and >poof< all you need do for dsl is login (or for
cable, you do squat). And then hit the power button again and walk away.

In XP the bootup is very short, but the initialization is far from over.
It'll take you a while before you can actually do some network things.

In Windows 2000, most of which can do hibernation without flakiness on
various PC's without issue, the bootup is a read-war-and-peace thing. It is
irreplaceable there.

--
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Eugene

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> Good freaking grief.
>
> I can't tell you how many folk's system's I've come across (in casual
> "help me help me" scenarios :) ) that don't have hibernation turned on.
>
> Over and over.
>
> There is nothing like being able to hit the power button, have the machine
> turn on in 7 seconds, and >poof< all you need do for dsl is login (or for
> cable, you do squat). And then hit the power button again and walk away.
>
> In XP the bootup is very short, but the initialization is far from over.
> It'll take you a while before you can actually do some network things.
>
> In Windows 2000, most of which can do hibernation without flakiness on
> various PC's without issue, the bootup is a read-war-and-peace thing. It
> is irreplaceable there.

My laptop is never down for more than a few hours so suspend works fine for
me, never had the battery run down yet.

The organic entity known as Thomas G. Marshall communicated the
following:

> I can't tell you how many folk's system's I've come across (in casual
> "help me help me" scenarios :) ) that don't have hibernation turned
> on.

Without question hibernation is the more efficient method of shutting down
and restarting a computer. Nevertheless it is not advice I would give
everybody as there are may be some problems too. I have owned some machine
that just wouldn't come out of hibernation and also some hardware that
responds badly to this procedure. Also one should take care of programs
that will only do things when started up the "old fashioned way", like
updating your virus scanner signatures.

So I agree with the advice to look at hibernation, but also to have a good
look at what the consequences might be.

Hans

"Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:
>There is nothing like being able to hit the power button, have the machine
>turn on in 7 seconds, and >poof< all you need do for dsl is login (or for
>cable, you do squat). And then hit the power button again and walk away.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't seem to be able to enter and exit
hibernation too many times before something gets wedged and I have to
power cycle. Dell Latitude D600, WinXPproSP1.

My homebuilt desktop does pretty well going in and out of S3-suspend
mode, which is pretty much zero power, but turns on and off in a
second or two. Still needs the occasional reboot or power cycle
though.