Processor Bad? Please Help

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
I'm still having problems, I hope you all can help. I built a system a few weeks ago, and it was constantly locking up - during games, surfing the net, even if there was nothing going on. I have tried 4 different modules of memory in it, and each time, I had the same lock-up problems, so I'm positive that it isn't the memory that is causing it. I am also positive that it is not a heat problem, my CPU has never risen above 45 degrees Celsius. Is my processor bad, or could it be something else?
Athlon XP 2500+ non-OC
DFI Lanparty NFII ultra
Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM 2MB cache
GeForce 3 64MB
Lite-On DVD-ROM
Thermaltake Volcano 11 xaser edition w/ all-copper heatsink
The four types of RAM I have used are:
Corsair XMS 512MB PC3200 DDR
Geil 512MB PC3200 DDR
generic 256MB PC2100 DDR
generic 128MB PC1600 DDR

Thank you all for your help.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
go through changeing each componant with a working one. no one really can have an answer for these problems.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6973142" target="_new">3dmark2001</A>

2.4C @ 3.0G
Asus P4C800
Corsair 2x512 3200
Sapphire 9600pro @ 500/700
80G Seagate S-ATA150

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Sounds exactly like a powersupply problem to me. What make and Wattage is your PSU?

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Chipdeath may be right. Check the PSU. Get back to us. Good luck.

They are our, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, neighbors. They are OUR TROOPS! Please support them.

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
The PSU is a Forton Source 400W. I had heard nothing but good stuff about fortron, and it weighs a ton.
And I'm on broadband right now, cable modem.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.

G

Someone really ought to make a FAQ for this :(
Anyway, first thing to IMHO regardless how many modules you tried, run memtest86 (www.memtest86.com).
Check your voltages, no matter high quality your PSU is, it can still be off enough to cause instability. let us know what the bios reports.
If neither of these bring anything, I hate to ask the obvious, but did you run a recent antivirus and adaware ? If not, do it NOW, both of them.

If none of this helps, gimme some more details on the crashes; when do they occur, do you get a BSOD or a freeze ? Or illegal exception things with apps closing ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
I don't even own a floppy, i'll have to get one at the store tomorrow. Not to mention install a floppy drive :mad:
As for the voltages, they are all within acceptable limits.
When the computer locks up, it just freezes. Nothing works, or does anything. And I'd say after about 1 of every 5 freezes, the PC speaker goes off, continually.

G

you can download a .ISO file and burn a cd if you don't have a floppy. But memory errors usually result in a BSOD, not a total freeze. I'd still check it, but I doubt its the memory sticks.

I assume you ran an antivirus and adaware ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Yes,I did. I just switched the PSU for an old one, so I'll give this a few hours and see how it handles.

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Ok, the different power supply did not improve anything; it doesn't even have the extra 12v connector, so I don't trust it anyways. So, should I suspect my power supply, or processor? My friend is saying that he's sure it's not the mobo, because if it was, then the comp wouldn't even boot into windows. Is this true? Thanks for your help

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Could very well be a bad CPU. See if you can borrow a good one to test. We are assuming you have the latest BIOS and the clock speed is correct. I have had hardware conflicts act similarly too. Windows 98 hating promise controller etc. How long will it run before lock-up?

G

The memory must the same to each other. It's size, and it's type....

Now you know!!