Disadvantages of windows 7

XP7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Hello, I want to ask a quite important information to me. I am a heavy XP user in PC, I have been using XP since its release, and already upgraded it several times. I really wanted to upgrade to Windows 7 since at my workplace, there were new Win 7s and it handles pretty nice. But my friend keeps telling me not too since, there's this windows 7 system software that checks the disks etc, that eats the memory and thus slowing down the overall performance. Please answer

4745454b

Titan
Nothing really. As a former heavy XP user win7 and I got off to a slow/bad start. I've always installed critical drivers in the root of C:. It's easy when you are in dos mode to get to them if its a simple directory. When I tried to do it with Win7 it said no. I don't like it when my OS tells me no. You can tweak win7 and you will eventually find where everything got moved to. The biggest issue I have is things not where they are/were.

Frankly the benefits far outweigh the negatives. This is the first worthwhile 64bit windows OS. If you want to use 4GBs+ of ram, this is the only option. And with more and more games needing more RAM, you better get used to win7.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I assume that Microsoft still have the Windows 7 compatibility checker on their site which will run through a quick on the system.

Windows 7 is nice to use and has a few extra goodies such as more modern Direct X support. The checker will check the hardware and some common software. Do not take it at face value though, if there is some specific software/hardware that you NEED to run, check the relevant websites (especially if moving from 32 to 64 bit).

seankor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Hey,
I would suggest to go to windows 7 as soon as possible. It is really so much better and reliable OS. I don't know what your friend is talking about?Maybe he is talking about indexing service. I heard that in Vista some people disabled indexing service in lower spec laptops, because it was always keeping the disk doing something and not being quiet. Didn't heard this with Win7 though.
From lots of test I saw windows 7 performs as quick as windows XP, or pretty close, with even quicker start -up times.
And for another maybe interesting info for you. I tested on a netbook with atom processor at 1,2 or 1,3 GhZ and just 1GB of RAM (with starter 7) and the performance was quite the same. My firend tried and installed windows 7 ultimate on it hehe. Still the performance was almost the same (Aero and stuff didn't work or was disabled). So while Win7 can take better advantage of better systems, it can perform good on slower systems as well. It is really quite optimized already.
Here is an interesting website for tweaking for performance and to know some more stuff about the system (was really good for WinXP): http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html

Dingo07 is kind of right (kind of because it actually launched three years ago) - if your computer is ancient then it may well be slow with Windows 7. Windows 7 looks massively more modern (you'll have seen that yourself at work) and is fast and easy to use. Hit the start button/key, then just start typing what you want - it will search as you type. Not just applications, but filenames and even file contents. So if you forget a filename, just start typing some of the file's content and it'll come up. Changing wallpaper, screensaver, uninstalling something, just start typing what you want to do. Performance hit in games compared to XP is less than 10% on average. However if your machine is really old, general Windows performance may be slow.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
The only issue I've noticed upgrading from XP to 7, is the different way in which they handle thumbnail databases. In XP, thumbnail databases are stored locally in the file with the images. In Windows 7 they are stored globally away from where the images are kept. There is both an upside and a downside to this. On the upside, it allows for on the fly resizing of the thumbnails which is quite useful. On the downside, since the database does not go with the images when they are burned to a disk or otherwise moved, the database must be rebuilt each time the disk is inserted in a drive. Also, if the database gets corrupted in XP, you could easily delete it and it would simply rebuild. In 7 this is a bit more difficult to address.

Of course, this is a minor issue considering all the improvements in 7 over XP and really only noticeable when you have a huge number of images to deal with. If your computer is up to the task, then Windows 7 is a great upgrade.

4745454b

Titan
I disagree win dingo. Just because a computer has win7 on it doesn't mean its old. My computer isn't much different then the one in his sig as my CPU is one gen back from his. If someone said 2000 or XP with no service pack then I could see upgrading. But there are many fine machines out there running win7 that don't upgrading.

dingo07

Distinguished

This makes absolutely no sense... The OP doesn't even have a signature!

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
well with windows 7 it has more support for multi-core processors, it's more visually appealing, direct x 10/11, etc., etc. basically better support for modern hardware.

If you don't have the hardware to run it than stick with windows XP. The effect on CPU usage is pretty negligible but it uses more memory the minimum requirement is 2 Gb. If your are using 16 bit applications you won't be able to run those anymore either.