Dimension 8200 and SP2 install

BT

Has anyone had good/bad experience with the SP2 install on a Dimension 8200
desktop? I just received the CD from Microsoft and I'm a bit afraid to run the
darn thing since my system is very stable right now - but some of the security
issues seem too important to ignore. I've never done a BIOS upgrade - do I have
to before installing Win XP SP2?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob T.

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 21:50:00 -0400, BT wrote in

> Has anyone had good/bad experience with the SP2 install on a Dimension 8200
> desktop? I just received the CD from Microsoft and I'm a bit afraid to run the
> darn thing since my system is very stable right now - but some of the security
> issues seem too important to ignore. I've never done a BIOS upgrade - do I have
> to before installing Win XP SP2?
>
> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It's my belief that Dell is way too quick to suggest upgrading the BIOS.
It's not quite the same as installing a new driver or something. While the
chance is remote, you can render your motherboard inoperable if something
went wrong during the BIOS flash.

I say that unless you are having a problem now or the new BIOS fixes
something that you are going to use later, don't bother.

As for SP2 I have it on 2 desktop computers, my 8400 and a home built AMD
based system, and 2 laptops (both Compaq's) without a single problem so
far. But, you said your system is working fine just how it is now why
bother messing it up? So long as you're using a third-party firewall and
anti-virus program there probably isn't much else you'll notice with SP2.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

"BT" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
| Has anyone had good/bad experience with the SP2 install on a Dimension
8200
| desktop? I just received the CD from Microsoft and I'm a bit afraid to
run the
| darn thing since my system is very stable right now - but some of the
security
| issues seem too important to ignore. I've never done a BIOS upgrade - do
I have
| to before installing Win XP SP2?
|
| Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
|
| Bob T.

Yes I XPSP2'd on My Dimension 8200. I had no problems at all. It even fixed
a couple of things that had never worked properly before. ( shadow copy of
files in use during a backup and the UPS interface )

I flashed the BIOS about a year ago to version A09 (which I believe is still
the current version) so I can't comment on that.

I did install XPSP2 on my Inspiron 8500 without doing the BIOS and that
installation went just as smoothly.

There is a good Web page devoted to the subject here;
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

Pay particular attention to the checklist. I did most of the things
mentioned there. A full backup is a really good idea.

I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

BT

Thanks guys!

BT

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> "BT" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> | Has anyone had good/bad experience with the SP2 install on a Dimension
> 8200
> | desktop? I just received the CD from Microsoft and I'm a bit afraid to
> run the
> | darn thing since my system is very stable right now - but some of the
> security
> | issues seem too important to ignore. I've never done a BIOS upgrade - do
> I have
> | to before installing Win XP SP2?
> |
> | Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> |
> | Bob T.
>
> Yes I XPSP2'd on My Dimension 8200. I had no problems at all. It even fixed
> a couple of things that had never worked properly before. ( shadow copy of
> files in use during a backup and the UPS interface )
>
> I flashed the BIOS about a year ago to version A09 (which I believe is still
> the current version) so I can't comment on that.
>
> I did install XPSP2 on my Inspiron 8500 without doing the BIOS and that
> installation went just as smoothly.
>
> There is a good Web page devoted to the subject here;
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
>
> Pay particular attention to the checklist. I did most of the things
> mentioned there. A full backup is a really good idea.

> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

This is among the FAQs at the Dell community "Diminsion Bios" forum
and the moderator's response...

Q: Should I update my system's BIOS to the latest version?

A: You should only update your BIOS if one of the following applies to
your situation:

You are having problems with your system that may be fixed by updating
your BIOS.

You have been requested or recommended by Dell technical support to
update your BIOS.

You are upgrading the computer's operating system or adding hardware,
and a BIOS update may be necessary to support the new operating system
or hardware.

Updating the BIOS can be a potentially risky prospect, and should not
be done simply to be up-to-date.

"BT" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<M4B7d.6051$ih2.3173@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Thanks guys!
>
> BT
>

> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> > "BT" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > | Has anyone had good/bad experience with the SP2 install on a Dimension
> 8200
> > | desktop? I just received the CD from Microsoft and I'm a bit afraid to
> run the
> > | darn thing since my system is very stable right now - but some of the
> security
> > | issues seem too important to ignore. I've never done a BIOS upgrade - do
> I have
> > | to before installing Win XP SP2?
> > |
> > | Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> > |
> > | Bob T.
> >
> > Yes I XPSP2'd on My Dimension 8200. I had no problems at all. It even fixed
> > a couple of things that had never worked properly before. ( shadow copy of
> > files in use during a backup and the UPS interface )
> >
> > I flashed the BIOS about a year ago to version A09 (which I believe is still
> > the current version) so I can't comment on that.
> >
> > I did install XPSP2 on my Inspiron 8500 without doing the BIOS and that
> > installation went just as smoothly.
> >
> > There is a good Web page devoted to the subject here;
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
> >
> > Pay particular attention to the checklist. I did most of the things
> > mentioned there. A full backup is a really good idea.
> >
> > --
> >
> > I was just trying to help.
> > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> > advice herein.
> > No warranty is expressed or implied.
> > Your mileage may vary.
> > See store for details. :)
> >
> > Remove shoes to E-mail.

Better read step 4.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090437&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19#step4

"Don" <donwachtel@msn.com> wrote in message
> This is among the FAQs at the Dell community "Diminsion Bios" forum
> and the moderator's response...
>
> Q: Should I update my system's BIOS to the latest version?
>
> A: You should only update your BIOS if one of the following applies to
> your situation:
>

> You are having problems with your system that may be fixed by updating
> your BIOS.
>
> You have been requested or recommended by Dell technical support to
> update your BIOS.
>
> You are upgrading the computer's operating system or adding hardware,
> and a BIOS update may be necessary to support the new operating system
> or hardware.
>
> Updating the BIOS can be a potentially risky prospect, and should not
> be done simply to be up-to-date.
>

> "BT" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks guys!
>>
>> BT
>>

>> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > "BT" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> > Dimension
>> 8200
>> run the
>> security
>> > upgrade - do
>> I have

>> > Yes I XPSP2'd on My Dimension 8200. I had no problems at all. It even
>> > fixed
>> > a couple of things that had never worked properly before. ( shadow copy
>> > of
>> > files in use during a backup and the UPS interface )
>> >
>> > I flashed the BIOS about a year ago to version A09 (which I believe is
>> > still
>> > the current version) so I can't comment on that.
>> >
>> > I did install XPSP2 on my Inspiron 8500 without doing the BIOS and that
>> > installation went just as smoothly.
>> >
>> > There is a good Web page devoted to the subject here;
>> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
>> >
>> > Pay particular attention to the checklist. I did most of the things
>> > mentioned there. A full backup is a really good idea.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > I was just trying to help.
>> > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions
>> > or
>> > advice herein.
>> > No warranty is expressed or implied.
>> > Your mileage may vary.
>> > See store for details. :)
>> >
>> > Remove shoes to E-mail.

I have an 8200 with the original BIOS, just installed SP2, no problems
whatsoever. Am in the process of installing it on four laptops - am on the
fourth one now and still no problems. Followed the recommendations on
several of the web sites about disabling anti-virus, all start-up programs
with msconfig, and so on.

Jim

"Jim Craig" <jgcraig@nospam.bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>I have an 8200 with the original BIOS, just installed SP2, no problems
>whatsoever. Am in the process of installing it on four laptops - am on the
>fourth one now and still no problems. Followed the recommendations on
>several of the web sites about disabling anti-virus, all start-up programs
>with msconfig, and so on.

Same here. I installed SP2 on my 8200 w/ original BIOS - went smoothly. No
problemo.