Why I could never do pinball as a business (long)

I'm moving my gameroom to a slightly smaller space with a much better
layout. The only 'problem' is that the projects that were sitting in
the corner of the larger room have now outgrown the allotted space.
Can't leave them in the old room, as the ping pong table comes in a
couple of days.

The game without a space is a MAJOR project 1974 Williams Dealer's
Choice. Actually, 'project' is kind. I can't imagine that many people
who regularly post here would look at it and say anything more than
'Parts. Burn the rest.' The game was rescued in January from a guy
who left it on a screened porch in north FL. Faded glass, faded and
crumbling cab, filthy playfield, a little rust, white latex paint
dribbled on the side rails, it had become a sawhorse. When I tipped up
the playfield for the first time, all of the inserts fell out. The
plastics are the best thing the game has to offer. With only a slight
yellowing in the clear areas, they are intact and bright after
cleaning. If the guy had just thrown a tarp over it.... And yes, it
was free.

When I first acquired it, I cleaned the score reels and plugged it in,
figuring what the hell, I can't do any more damage. To my great
surprise, the score reels reset. There are still issues as the motor
keeps running, but the game is definitely mechanically repairable.
Knowing this was a long term project, the game moved to the corner
where it sat until last night.

So here I am with a game that will take a year (working in 1 and 2 hour
snippets) to bring back to an acceptable level of playability and
aesthetics. I have no room for it. I have other projects that are
higher priority, both inside and outside the world of pinball, so it
may be a year before I can begin, and even if I DO get it back to that
point, it will not have a place in the gameroom unless I suddenly
choose to get rid of a game that I already consider a keeper. At
midnight, I was sure I would be posting the game as available for parts
this morning. That is the logical thing to do.

By two am, I'd decided that space or no, I just couldn't part out a
game that had any chance of living again. So, the faded glass will go
up on the wall, I'll stack some lawn equipment, hang a bunch of shelves
for the paint cans to sit on, and create enough space in the storage
room in the garage for the cab and head, and one day, Dealer's Choice
WILL live.

Geez, what an addicted, sentimental idiot.

I've had a Dealers Choice for many years and enjoy it a lot.
Glen