Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I have an XP OEM license on my old computer. I want to replace and junk
this old computer. Will M$ allow me to reactivate my OEM license on my new
computer?

"Brian" <bwc@dccnet.com> wrote:

>I have an XP OEM license on my old computer. I want to replace and junk
>this old computer. Will M$ allow me to reactivate my OEM license on my new
>computer?

The End User License Agreement for an OEM version of Windows XP
permanently locks that license to the first computer that it is
installed on and it may not be legitmately moved to another computer
even if the original computer is lost, stolen, destroyed, or scrapped.
See the file EULA.TXT in the \Windows\System32 folder of your computer
for the specific details of the End User License Agreement for that
computer.

Furthermore if your OEM version is an SLP or "BIOS Locked" version
then it will not activate over the Internet if it is installed on a
computer with a different make of motherboard, and telephone
activations will be declined.

To check if your OEM version is BIOS Locked look for an Activate
Windows item in the Accessories - System Tools category on the Start
Menu. If there is no Activate Windows item and if you did not
replace the motherboard prior to 1 March 2005 then your OEM version of
Windows XP is BIOS Locked and can only be activated on a computer with
a motherboard from that specific OEM.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

No. An OEM license cannot be transferred to a different computer.
Only a "Retail Version" license may be transferred.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Brian wrote:
> I have an XP OEM license on my old computer. I want to replace and
> junk this old computer. Will M$ allow me to reactivate my OEM
> license on my new computer?

It depends. If it is a generic OEM copy, then activation should go
through over the internet if it has been more than 120 days since you
last activated it.

If it is a branded OEM copy from a major OEM, then will need to come up
with a convincing story to tell the PA phone reps.

--
Peace!
Kurt

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:59:07 -0700, "Brian" <bwc@dccnet.com> wrote:

>I have an XP OEM license on my old computer. I want to replace and junk
>this old computer. Will M$ allow me to reactivate my OEM license on my new
>computer?

Yes it will activate but you are not allowed to.
(The March 2005 does not apply-he said it was an old computer)

Greg Ro

Actually, depending on how it was obtained, it may not even install on another vendor's hardware.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Greg Ro" <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote in message news:uVSBcXDsFHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:59:07 -0700, "Brian" <bwc@dccnet.com> wrote:
>
>>I have an XP OEM license on my old computer. I want to replace and junk
>>this old computer. Will M$ allow me to reactivate my OEM license on my new
>>computer?
>>

> Yes it will activate but you are not allowed to.
> (The March 2005 does not apply-he said it was an old computer)
>
> Greg Ro

Alias

"Greg Ro" <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:59:07 -0700, "Brian" <bwc@dccnet.com> wrote:
>
>>I have an XP OEM license on my old computer. I want to replace and junk
>>this old computer. Will M$ allow me to reactivate my OEM license on my
>>new
>>computer?
>>

> Yes it will activate but you are not allowed to.
> (The March 2005 does not apply-he said it was an old computer)
>
> Greg Ro

I have a brand new OEM XP that I installed on an old HP computer that I
bought back in 2000. It activated, genuined and works like a charm.

Alias

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "Greg Ro" <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:59:07 -0700, "Brian" <bwc@dccnet.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have an XP OEM license on my old computer. I want to replace and junk
>>>this old computer. Will M$ allow me to reactivate my OEM license on my
>>>new
>>>computer?
>>>

>> Yes it will activate but you are not allowed to.
>> (The March 2005 does not apply-he said it was an old computer)
>>
>> Greg Ro
>
> I have a brand new OEM XP that I installed on an old HP computer that I
> bought back in 2000. It activated, genuined and works like a charm.
>
> Alias

Same here, I have used the same OEM for upgrading from an Intel 815 to 845
to 865 to an 875. They would not _repair install_ but with zeros to disk
and a
clean install, they have all activated over the net.
This whole situation is hilarious. The _droids_ spouting nonsense vs. what
can be
done.
I paid for a license to use WindowsXP Professional on one machine and that
is
what I intend to do.