Reel to reel tape backcoated or non backcoated

Status
Not open for further replies.
back coated tape prevents the capstan from slipping, and is more accurate, stronger.
With back coated, you record on one side of the tape only.
Non-backcoated can be flipped over, and recorded on both sides (non-professional).
With a two sided tape, the audio from the opposite side can bleed into your tracks on the side you are playing. That's why we use only one side!

mth1963

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
I see that using back coated tapes have a problem when the get old.They shred easilyand have sticky tape syndrome.

You can't record on both sides of a tape (the tape heads can never contact the back of the tape which doesn't have a magnetic coating anyway). You record offset tracks going in different directions on the same side of the tape on a 1/4 " 4 track recorder. A 1/4" 2 track tape has 2 wider tracks which allow great recording levels and better separation so you you can only record once.
Yes some back coated tapes can shed. Ampex 456 can get sticky and in some cases require that the tape be very carefully baked so it can be transferred once. With all that I don't think you can find a premium tape that is not back coated.

jiaxihewa

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
With all that I don't think you can find a premium tape that is not back coated.
6OloU6

Status
Not open for further replies.