Help for Building a Gaming Comp

Im not the most computer literate guy around so any advice would be great. Ive got the below comp right on my price range being built for some gaming and a little Word Processing by Omega Computers in Australia. Basically for approx the same price would anyone recommend I change anything such as getting dual RAM, bigger power supply or putting in any extra heatsinks keeping in mind I prolly wont be doing any overclocking.

Oh and I dont need anything else im set with modem, monitor etc.

Cheers for any help!!

Case: Premium Blue and Silver Mini ATX w/300W P4 & P#, 3x 5.25, 2x 3.5 Bays

Mobo: MSI SiS 648FX 800MHz FSB with Sound & LAN SKT 478 –ATX -Hyperthreading

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K 478pin . 13u CPU (Boxed) – Hyperthreading

RAM: 1 stick Hynix or Equiv 512MB – DDR RAM PC3200 400MHz

HD: Maxtor 120Gb IDE, 7200rpm – ATA133, 8MB Buffer

VC: GeCube ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Extreme, 128M, GC-R9800Pro-C3
23 answers Last reply
More about help building gaming comp
  1. Looks good, a few things though...

I havent check the specs of you MB yet, but if it has Dual Channel Memory, your going to need 2 sticks of RAM. Also, most new MBs have SATA; scrap that IDE harddrive and get a SATA one.

the graphic card is good, if you like RAW benchmark numbers, but i have my own issues with ATI currently, that and alot of games are built around NVIDIA.

...My 2 cents
  2. Is a MB designed for Dual Ram necesarily better than a MB which uses 1 stick? Someone told me 1 stick leads to a more stable system...
  3. I think thats the stats of the MB im getting.

MSI Motherboard for Intel Processors SiS 648FX Model 648F Neo-L Retail
    Specifications:
    Supported CPU:Intel® Socket 478 for Pentium® 4 processor
    Chipset:SiS® 648FX + SiS® 963L
    FSB:400/533/800 MHz
    RAM: unbuffered DIMM DDR266/333 or 2 unbuffered DIMM DDR400 Max 3GB
    IDE: Ultra DMA66/100/133 up to 4 Devices
    Slots:1x AGP 2.0 4X/8X and 6 PCI 32-bit Slots
    Ports:2xPS2,1xLPT,1xCOM,6xUSB,1xLAN and Audio
    Onboard Audio:RealTek ALC655
    Onboard LAN: RealTek 8201BL PHY 10/100Mbs
  4. Quote:
    the graphic card is good, if you like RAW benchmark numbers, but i have my own issues with ATI currently, that and alot of games are built around NVIDIA.

Obviously, you must have missed the big contraversy nVidia recently stirred up. I don't know about the new drivers they have coming up, but their current drivers absolutely SUCK for DX9 games (Doom 3 & HL 2).

ATi, on the other hand, have much improved their drivers since the release of Catalyst. Their cards don't take the same performance hit that nVidia's do on DX9 games. Ever since the original Radeon... I've been a big ATi fan. I suppose being Canadian has something to do with it too.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
  5. > Case: Premium Blue and Silver Mini ATX w/300W
    > P4 & P#, 3x 5.25, 2x 3.5 Bays

That powersupply is probally not going to be adaquete. Really should get a decent 350 or 400. Perhaps a Antec Lanboy (bout 80$, comes with a side window, lighted antec (read: good) power supply)?

> Mobo: MSI SiS 648FX 800MHz FSB with Sound &
    > LAN SKT 478 –ATX -Hyperthreading

Better off getting an Intel 865p/875p chipset. IS7 is a nice board, performs damn well too.

> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB,
    > 512K 478pin . 13u CPU (Boxed) – Hyperthreading

Nice choice.

> RAM: 1 stick Hynix or Equiv 512MB – DDR RAM PC3200 400MHz

Get 2x256mb ddr pc3200 400mhz ram, corsair, geil, mushkin, kingston are good brands...

> HD: Maxtor 120Gb IDE, 7200rpm – ATA133, 8MB Buffer

Nice hd, might want to consider sata so you can use it in next pc as back up drive though.

> VC: GeCube ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Extreme, 128M, GC-R9800Pro-C3

Don't know anything about GeCube, I tend to like to stick to authentic ATI or Sapphire branded cards personally. Some of the off brands are a bit flakey.

Shadus
  6. > Is a MB designed for Dual Ram necesarily better than
    > a MB which uses 1 stick?

Generally a mobo running duel mode is quite a bit faster than one that isn't.

> Someone told me 1 stick leads to a more stable system...

Someone lied. The quality of the power supply will make a larger difference in system stability than the effect of having a single stick of ram... not to mention by using a single stick of ram you're hurting your performance.

Shadus
  7. Thanks ill keep all of that in mind when I put in my order but it all comes down to price. Im already 130 over my origional budget :p
  8. Where do you people get this, the nvidia cards will suck for d3. Did you see the benchmarks for them... I will however, admit it will probably suck for half2
  9. The mini ATX case sounds nice and as a matter of fact I like to keep small but for a game computer he would need the large ATX case so he can have lots of room to get the HEAT out and room for those larger Mother boards. Just a thought. OH and the large 400 Watt power supplies so he has lots of room for all the cables.

»§øЫÑighthåwk™ Don't get mad at the player get mad at the game. Hackers drool and Skill's rule.
  10. I use the Geforce cards because I know how to tweak em so I can get good performance for the games I play however I have heard horror stories about the new FX 5200 to 5900 Pro/Ultra cards.
    I would seriously consider for myself the newest Radeon card in the 5900 series and the new AMD64 CPU's for playing Half Life 2 as we can all guess that game is 2 years ahead of current hardware or possibly just the upgrade away I just mentioned from experience I find that when a game is released even after the patch that if you can run them a few years later in a new P.C design then you really get to see how it was meant to run.
    There are many game titles that play much better in the new MHz P.C platforms a few years after the fact.
    That is what is so disheartening when you walk into a store and cap off 80 bucks on a new game title you just know its going to be a computer upgrade away before you really get to enjoy the new game.

»§øЫÑighthåwk™ Don't get mad at the player get mad at the game. Hackers drool and Skill's rule.
  11. Don't listen to SoDNighthawk, he doesn't know anything about computers.
  12. There are no Radeon 5900 cards.
  13. Try 9800
  14. God damn, sh!ts getting deep round these parts, deeper everytime you open yer mouth. Either bother to know what you are talking about or shut up and quit screwing up the newbies.

Shadus
  15. Provided Doom 3 runs in OpenGL, it will run very well with nVidia-based cards. However, if it utilizes DX 9, performance will suffer the same way it would with Half Life 2. I'll admit though that I have no idea how well nVidia's new drivers are going to perform.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
  16. OK changed things around alot and had to drop the video card due to cost for another few pay packets. My G-Force 2 will have to suffice till then.

Couldnt get the Abit S7 MB but am getting...

Asus P4P800 Delux
    Same CPU
    Seagate 120GC Serial ATA
    *2 Kingston 256MB PC3200, 400MHz
    THERMALTAKE Xaser III Lanfire Mid Tower case
    450 Watt Power Suply -> Not sure of brand atm
  17. Listen very very carefully...

DO NOT GET A NO NAME POWER SUPPLY.

Powersupply is a critical component of the system for stability. Get a *GOOD* brandname power supply, a bad 450 is WORSE than a good 300.

Shadus
  18. Your computer store out of IS7?
  19. Quote:
    newest Radeon card in the 5900 series

That is possibly forgiveable as a slip, but as you've made <i>exactly</i> the same slip before, I'll assume it's because you don't actually know, but have seen these model numbers being chucked about.

Quote:
    I find that when a game is released even after the patch that if you can run them a few years later in a new P.C design then you really get to see how it was meant to run

Yeah - game designers make sure that their game won't run on <i>anything</i> properly. That's a good way to sell their games.. if a game has its minimum specs listed as a P4 3Ghz W/ a radeon 9800Pro (i.e. it does not perform really well on that setup) do you think they'd sell many? no. I can appreciate - given all your other posts - that the computers you put together are at best capable of running 2 year old games well, but the rest of the world does not suffer your stubborn cluelessness.

Plus the guy's said a P4C2.6 System with a cheaper motherboard is already over a hundred dollars over his budget, so suggesting an A64 is just stupid.

Carry on posting by all means, but <i>please</i> stop giving people 'advice'. One day someone will actually take it and be very dissapointed....

---
    <font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
  20. Those are good parts, but I'll have to say I agree with Shadus, a good quality power supply is a <i>must</i> for a stable system. See if you can replace that one with a Fortron 450-500W(cheap but excellent PSUs), or an Enermax/Antec (not so cheap, also good).

Dropping the Vid card for a couple of months is probably a good thing, otherwise you'll be tempted to scrimp on other parts, and ultimately end up with bottlenecks you could otherwise have avoided. a Geforce2 certainly ain't great, but you should be able to play most <i>reasonably</i> current games, albeit at reduced graphics settings.

---
    <font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
  21. I dont know the type of power supply is that I dont have the quote on me atm, but I asked for a branded one when ordering.

The MB I went to 2 of the cheaper (IT Warehouse & an Omega Distributer) stores and neither stock that brand of MB. I can probably get it but it means I go with a guy who makes them himself and I dont get a 2 year labour warrenty.
  22. Thanks for all the help this is what ive ended up with exactly :)

THERMALTAKE Xaser III Lanfire Mid Tower case

450 watt thermaltake power supply

INT42.6H Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K, 478pin .13u CPU (Boxed) Hyperthreading

ASUS P4P800 i865PE 800MHz FSB with SATA, RAID, GB LAN -478 - ATX Socket 478, 800MHz, SATA, 5x PCI, AGP8X, hDDR400, Gigabit LAN, RAID 0, 1, 8x USB2.0, 6 Channel Sound

2 sticks RAMD32256K Kingmax 256MB TinyBGA - DDR RAM PC 3200 400MHz

Will upgrade the video card and perhaps go to 1 gig of RAM when I get a bit more cashed up.
  23. Looks real nice, you'll really like that case too. :)

Shadus
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs