Windows XP SP2 (MCE2002) scanning my usb external hard dri..

During startup, after the initial look see for external bootable os's,
windows procedes to load and then when it gets to the "Windows is starting
up" screen, the computer's internal quits loading and the OS starts reading
my two Maxtor usb 300GB hard drives; for what I do not know. I have autoplay
off, system restore off, file and indexing sevices off, and anything else I
can think of off. This is definantly an XP OS bug. There is no reason for XP
to need to read through all the data on these drives. Does anyone know what
is going on and why? Surely there is a registry entry that can be changed to
resolve this issue. Or some kind of patch. hp, and my friend Google have been
no help. hp told me to unplug them until the desktop appears. that is
rediculous. Bootvis shows this actiity at around 45 seconds, I should be able
to boot everything up in that time. It behaves this way on my SP1 partition
as well...

Any help appreciated,
Douglas Wire
3 answers Last reply
More about windows mce2002 scanning external hard

    "=?Utf-8?B?ZHdpcmU=?=" <dwire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > During startup, after the initial look see for external bootable os's,
    > windows procedes to load and then when it gets to the "Windows is
    > starting up" screen, the computer's internal quits loading and the OS
    > starts reading my two Maxtor usb 300GB hard drives; for what I do not
    > know. I have autoplay off, system restore off, file and indexing
    > sevices off, and anything else I can think of off. This is definantly
    > an XP OS bug. There is no reason for XP to need to read through all
    > the data on these drives. Does anyone know what is going on and why?
    > Surely there is a registry entry that can be changed to resolve this
    > issue. Or some kind of patch. hp, and my friend Google have been no
    > help. hp told me to unplug them until the desktop appears. that is
    > rediculous. Bootvis shows this actiity at around 45 seconds, I should
    > be able to boot everything up in that time. It behaves this way on my
    > SP1 partition as well...
    >
    > Any help appreciated,
    > Douglas Wire

    first guess.........it's running scandisk on them.

    There is no scandisk option in XP.Instead there is Chkdsk.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    DanS wrote:

    > "=?Utf-8?B?ZHdpcmU=?=" <dwire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >

    >>During startup, after the initial look see for external bootable os's,
    >>windows procedes to load and then when it gets to the "Windows is
    >>starting up" screen, the computer's internal quits loading and the OS
    >>starts reading my two Maxtor usb 300GB hard drives; for what I do not
    >>know. I have autoplay off, system restore off, file and indexing
    >>sevices off, and anything else I can think of off. This is definantly
    >>an XP OS bug. There is no reason for XP to need to read through all
    >>the data on these drives. Does anyone know what is going on and why?
    >>Surely there is a registry entry that can be changed to resolve this
    >>issue. Or some kind of patch. hp, and my friend Google have been no
    >>help. hp told me to unplug them until the desktop appears. that is
    >>rediculous. Bootvis shows this actiity at around 45 seconds, I should
    >>be able to boot everything up in that time. It behaves this way on my
    >>SP1 partition as well...
    >>
    >>Any help appreciated,
    >>Douglas Wire
    >>

    > first guess.........it's running scandisk on them.

    >> "=?Utf-8?B?ZHdpcmU=?=" <dwire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>>During startup, after the initial look see for external bootable os's,
    >>>windows procedes to load and then when it gets to the "Windows is
    >>>starting up" screen, the computer's internal quits loading and the OS
    >>>starts reading my two Maxtor usb 300GB hard drives; for what I do not
    >>>know. I have autoplay off, system restore off, file and indexing
    >>>sevices off, and anything else I can think of off. This is definantly
    >>>an XP OS bug. There is no reason for XP to need to read through all
    >>>the data on these drives. Does anyone know what is going on and why?
    >>>Surely there is a registry entry that can be changed to resolve this
    >>>issue. Or some kind of patch. hp, and my friend Google have been no
    >>>help. hp told me to unplug them until the desktop appears. that is
    >>>rediculous. Bootvis shows this actiity at around 45 seconds, I should
    >>>be able to boot everything up in that time. It behaves this way on my
    >>>SP1 partition as well...
    >>>
    >>>Any help appreciated,
    >>>Douglas Wire

    Douglas:
    The only way we've been able to find to avoid that annoyance is to use
    Microsoft's TweakUI program and disable the Autoplay function for a specific
    drive. The program (it's a freebie from MS) contains a number of very useful
    features and it's a worthwhile download from

    It installs directly into your Control Panel and is accessed from there.
    After it opens, access the My Computer > AutoPlay items and uncheck
    (disable) the Autoplay feature on your external HD's drive
    Anna

Windows XP