(/dev/rdsk/c0t0.. etc), but Solaris's format or fdisk can't see the
hard disk at all. It seems the internal controller is not going to
work with Solaris x86.

He has another SCSI controller, which is badged Compaq, but made by
Adaptec - I believe it is a 39160, which is not in the HCL, but is in
a list of 'reported to work'. Whilst installation does ont complete on
this controller, it goes a lot further than using the internal one.

Using the Adaptec SCSI controller, he can boot the Solaris install (or
#1) CD from the IDE CD drive, set up file systems on the SCSI disk,
and let the installer read the data from the CD. However, when the
installation is finished with CD #1, and reboots, the system fails to
boot from the SCSI disk, so you can't load CD #2.

I'm pretty convinced that Solaris is being installed okay, but he does
not know how to persuade the system to boot from the SCSI disk on the
Adaptec controller which is plugged into a PCI slot, and ignore the
on-board SCSI controller. I think it is trying to boot from the
on-board controller, which fails, as there are no disks on that.

I know in most generic PCs you could go into the BIOS and disable the
on-board SCSI controller. You could then enter the BIOS of the SCSI
controller to boot from a specific SCSI id. But from what I understand
these Compaq machines are a little different.

Any ideas ? I'm pretty convinced if the machine can be persuaded to
ignore its on-board SCSI controller and boot from the Adaptec one in a
PCI slot, the Solaris installation will complete, leaving a working
Solaris system.

David Kirkby

david (DOT) kirkby (AT) onetel (DOT) net

Archived from groups: alt.solaris.x86,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Here is a starting url for you

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locOsCat/37.html

SCU
IS HERE:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

It is for Solaris 2.6 and I have made it work on an 1850R and Solaris
8 which is really close to your setup. Don't try being fancy with the
raid controllers though , you might have no hair left by the time
you're finished :)

On 3 Oct 2004 16:58:37 -0700,
see_my_signature_for_my_real_address@hotmail.com (Dr. David Kirkby)

Sharmon <user@request.com> wrote in message news:<j9a1m01kcnpk2in5ar1cria3hpfhi1j1ff@4ax.com>...
> Here is a starting url for you
>
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locOsCat/37.html

Cheers. I don't know what firmware versions he has, so it is possible
he has the latest.

> SCU
> IS HERE:
>

> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html
>
> It is for Solaris 2.6 and I have made it work on an 1850R and Solaris
> 8 which is really close to your setup.

Were you using the on-board SCSI controller, or like my friend, using
a SCSI controller in a PCI slot ?

> Don't try being fancy with the
> raid controllers though , you might have no hair left by the time
> you're finished :)

That was my feeling too. I have never come across one of these Compaqs
myself - hence my suggestion to use a SCSI controller in s PCI slot,
after repeated attempts at using the on-board controller were failing.

The Adaptec (badged Compaq) SCSI controller is certainly working. He
managed to copy a few files to tape using a tape drive on the Adaptec
controller, then read read them back. That, coupled with the fact the
first Solaris CD seems to install files to disk without any problems,
leaves me convinced the first disk of Solaris is being installed on a
hard disk. We just need to either:

a) Find out how to install Solaris on the integrated controller OR
b) Find out how to disable the integrated controller, and instead boot
from the one in the PCI card.

I'd like to know if you took path (a) or (b).

The Compaq's management utilities (whatever they are called), do have
an option to install Solaris. But using the on-boards SCSI controller,
we have been unable to get Solaris to read or write to the disks,
although it does create the device files.

If all else fails, I will give him one of my old SPARCs and he can
install Solaris for SPARC!

David Kirkby

> On 3 Oct 2004 16:58:37 -0700,
> see_my_signature_for_my_real_address@hotmail.com (Dr. David Kirkby)
> wrote:
>
> >A friend of mine is trying to install Solaris 9 x86 on a Compaq DL380
> >G1 server. The machine has a dual channel SCSI controller, and an IDE
> >interface.
> >
> >If a SCSI disk is on the internal SCSI (raid) controller, the system
> >will boot from a CD, and creates device files for the disk
> >(/dev/rdsk/c0t0.. etc), but Solaris's format or fdisk can't see the
> >hard disk at all. It seems the internal controller is not going to
> >work with Solaris x86.
> >
> >He has another SCSI controller, which is badged Compaq, but made by
> >Adaptec - I believe it is a 39160, which is not in the HCL, but is in
> >a list of 'reported to work'. Whilst installation does ont complete on
> >this controller, it goes a lot further than using the internal one.
> >
> >Using the Adaptec SCSI controller, he can boot the Solaris install (or
> >#1) CD from the IDE CD drive, set up file systems on the SCSI disk,
> >and let the installer read the data from the CD. However, when the
> >installation is finished with CD #1, and reboots, the system fails to
> >boot from the SCSI disk, so you can't load CD #2.
> >
> >I'm pretty convinced that Solaris is being installed okay, but he does
> >not know how to persuade the system to boot from the SCSI disk on the
> >Adaptec controller which is plugged into a PCI slot, and ignore the
> >on-board SCSI controller. I think it is trying to boot from the
> >on-board controller, which fails, as there are no disks on that.
> >
> >I know in most generic PCs you could go into the BIOS and disable the
> >on-board SCSI controller. You could then enter the BIOS of the SCSI
> >controller to boot from a specific SCSI id. But from what I understand
> >these Compaq machines are a little different.
> >
> >Any ideas ? I'm pretty convinced if the machine can be persuaded to
> >ignore its on-board SCSI controller and boot from the Adaptec one in a
> >PCI slot, the Solaris installation will complete, leaving a working
> >Solaris system.
> >
> >David Kirkby
> >
> >david (DOT) kirkby (AT) onetel (DOT) net

Archived from groups: alt.solaris.x86,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Hi ,

You MUST do a complete system erase with the SCU then reconfigure it
using the SCU in the link . The only problem I had with the 1850R was
I used an Intel Pro 100+ NIC instead of the embedded and it worked
great. the key is the complete system erase , you can use a smart
start 5.5 or less but use the maintanence switch to clear the CMOS
settings , it tends to be more thorough. The SCSI settings might be in
the advanced settings of the SCU (F2 on the start up screen I think)

On 4 Oct 2004 05:28:15 -0700,