Big_Ben_C

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2003
I am curious as to the best method for checking your CPU temp. I have a temp probe installed against the side of the CPU die, which usually gives me a much higher readout than what the temp. sensor on the M/B gives me. I use Sandra to check the CPU temp and when Sandra reports 35C, the temp. probe will usually read 45-50C.

Any ideas on why the probe is so much higher, or which temp. I should actually trust as being more accurate?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you have an Asus motherboard? Because Asus has been known to screw with BIOS and mess up the temperature monitor.

Some older boards placed a temp probe under the socket, which isn't a good locatio for reporting true temps.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Big_Ben_C

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2003
I have a gigabyte 7n400pro2 with an XP2500@1830mhz. It's just wierd how different the two temps can be. I mean, the temp. probe must be fairly accurate, as there has to be SOMETHING that is making it read hotter than the mobo temp. sensor.

Now I've been told that I shouldn't worry about my CPU temp unless I am experiencing wierd crashes, etc... but a temp of 50C for just web surfing seems kinda high. I figure it should be running cooler. I have 5 case fans, stock heatsink and arctic silver 5. Is this anything to worry about?