Windows Firewall SP2

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Maybe off topic but hopefully someone can help me here. I installed SP2
(WinXP) and prefer to use Norton Firewall (do not know if it is better or
worse, just prefer to use it).

Every time I boot into Windows I get an annoying security alert on the task
bar with a nag message from MS. There is an option to turn this off in
Control Panel and stop nagging me, but it always defaults to back on every
restart.

Is there a way to disable this permanently?

Are you sure it's the warning about the firewall/av, or is Windows simply
detecting that the program is active?
Symantec had a fix for this problem on its website.

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 06:23:36 GMT, "Mick" <Mick@antispam.com> wrote:

>Maybe off topic but hopefully someone can help me here. I installed SP2
>(WinXP) and prefer to use Norton Firewall (do not know if it is better or
>worse, just prefer to use it).
>
>Every time I boot into Windows I get an annoying security alert on the task
>bar with a nag message from MS. There is an option to turn this off in
>Control Panel and stop nagging me, but it always defaults to back on every
>restart.
>
>Is there a way to disable this permanently?

Yes, go to control panel, security centre, scroll to bottom and
select windows firewall, and select "Off"

Job done.

Setting it in this way should survive a reboot etc.

Cheers

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

"Justin Thompson" <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Yes, go to control panel, security centre, scroll to bottom and
> select windows firewall, and select "Off"
>
> Job done.
>
> Setting it in this way should survive a reboot etc.

Thanks Edward and Justin for your replies. Figured it out: when I went into
Windows Firewall under the advanced tab it lists four connections: two 1394
connections and two local area connections. One of these must have been
re-triggering the warning. I've unchecked them all now. Hopefully I've done
the right thing.

TRENDING THREADS