At work we have WinXP Boot CD that acts just like C: drive, it boots to the
XP desktop.

It would be really nice to have such a CD for my PC at home. The problem is
our engineering seems reluctent to tell me how they make this boot-to-desktop
WinXP CD.

At home I have Nero utilities, and the Nero tech supports is even less
helpful. They can only tell me what I read in Nero's "Help."

So, does anyone know how to make a XP Boot CD the will act just like a C:
drive with XP installed?

Google for Bart PE.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Tecknomage" <Tecknomage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> At work we have WinXP Boot CD that acts just like C: drive, it boots to
> the
> XP desktop.
>
> It would be really nice to have such a CD for my PC at home. The problem
> is
> our engineering seems reluctent to tell me how they make this
> boot-to-desktop
> WinXP CD.
>
> At home I have Nero utilities, and the Nero tech supports is even less
> helpful. They can only tell me what I read in Nero's "Help."
>
> So, does anyone know how to make a XP Boot CD the will act just like a C:
> drive with XP installed?

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Donny Broome
donny AT broomeman DOT com
Kill Spyware! Visit:
http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

"Tecknomage" <Tecknomage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> At work we have WinXP Boot CD that acts just like C: drive, it boots to
> the
> XP desktop.
>
> It would be really nice to have such a CD for my PC at home. The problem
> is
> our engineering seems reluctent to tell me how they make this
> boot-to-desktop
> WinXP CD.
>
> At home I have Nero utilities, and the Nero tech supports is even less
> helpful. They can only tell me what I read in Nero's "Help."
>
> So, does anyone know how to make a XP Boot CD the will act just like a C:
> drive with XP installed?

I see replies about MS PE, but not XP which was the subject at hand. Am I
missing something here?

Lil' Dave wrote:
> I see replies about MS PE, but not XP which was the subject at hand.
> Am I missing something here?

Yes.

You saw responses about "Bart PE", not Microsoft Win PE. Different beasts,
similar idea.

Bart PE can use Windows XP as a base or Windows 2003 (maybe it can use other
OSes, but those are the only two I have used in the past.)
The OP stated, ".. WinXP Boot CD that acts just like C: drive, it boots to
the XP desktop." and the only such thing that exists is the Microsoft
Windows PE and Bart PE CDs.. Variations of each not-withstanding. So you
see exactly what the OP asked for.

If the OP doesn't understand how to make a decent Bart PE CD, then they may
want to look here for guidance:
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

As for the OPs "reluctant" technical support at work - they either think
they have some magical/mystical CD that the OP will never figure out and
that makes their egos three times larger OR they are genuinely afraid what
the OP might do with such power. (The last part is said facetiously.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP