AMD's 90nm better than anticipated ?

G

Whittington's line is that AMD's 90nm ramp is proving so successful, it should be able to ship 90nm Opterons ahead of schedule. As examples of that success, he cites demonstrations of 90nm Opterons that "did not appear to require extra cooling of any special change in the motherboard design". That, he believes, is a sign of the technologies maturity. So are the yields <b>of 2.2 and 2.4GHz 90nm Opterons running at 45W </b>- well below AMD's specified 70W operation.

Our preliminary calculations indicate that <b>a 3-4GHz clock rate is possible, without exceeding the current 85-90W spec.</b>" says Whittington.
<snip>
The maturity of AMD's 90nm process, says Whittington in a note to customers, will allow it to sample 90nm Opterons this year and <b>begin volume wafer starts sometime during the first half of 2004, rather than the H2 2004 target schedule.</b>

Well good new if true; though obviously its strange to push 90nm first from 1H to 2H and then claim its ahead of target when it could meet the orginial 1H launch window again :)

Those power consumptions numbers are impressive though. First we heard of 50W 2 GHz opterons on 130nm (and 30W !! 1.4 opterons on the same process), and now it seems 90nm isnt giving AMD the same headaches as intel either; quite on the contrary . Very good news for AMD, if true..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Yeah, but with the problems that Intel has been having, even if they don't get ahead of schedule they will still most likely be ahead. But there better be 4+GHz opterons by Q3 2005, that's all I have to say.

Is it possible to run an Opteron in the FX's board??? If so, imagine plopping one of those 2.0GHz 50Watters in and OCing the sh!t out of it :smile: . Can someone say 3GHz?

Damn Rambus.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
My guess is that there is more marketing involved than facts and reality. Just my opinion, but obviously I would like this new is true 100% :wink:

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

TRENDING THREADS