Jonesy

I have 2 disks in a server that I want to make into 1 partition - I
have made them both dynamic, but when I make them into a partition, I
format them but still cannot access them (it says that the size of the
partition 0 bytes). What am I doing wrong?

CD

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

You need to research Raids

"jonesy" wrote:

> I have 2 disks in a server that I want to make into 1 partition - I
> have made them both dynamic, but when I make them into a partition, I
> format them but still cannot access them (it says that the size of the
> partition 0 bytes). What am I doing wrong?

dilligaf

You also need to know if you are going to use raid 1, 2, 5 is it hardware
raid or software raid does your pc support raid ie does it hjave a raid
controller built in ?

"jonesy" wrote:

> is it that simple?

Jonesy

once the new disk has been put in, can I not just delete the existing
partition, set both disks up as dynamic and then set up a partition
using both disks? I did this and it says there is a 60GB G drive (the
letter I assigned to it) but if I look at the properties of it, it says
it is 0 bytes

Jonesy

if a new disk has been added to the server, can we not just format the
disk that we want to add them to, make them both dynamic and then make
them into 1 partition? It said that it was a 60GB partition but when I
looked at the properties of the partition it said it was 0 bytes.

"jonesy" <stevenjones_6@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have 2 disks in a server that I want to make into 1 partition - I
>have made them both dynamic, but when I make them into a partition, I
>format them but still cannot access them (it says that the size of the
>partition 0 bytes). What am I doing wrong?

Launch Windows XP's Help and Support and search for "Create a spanned
volume".

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> "jonesy" <stevenjones_6@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have 2 disks in a server that I want to make into 1 partition - I
>>have made them both dynamic, but when I make them into a partition, I
>>format them but still cannot access them (it says that the size of the
>>partition 0 bytes). What am I doing wrong?
>
> Launch Windows XP's Help and Support and search for "Create a spanned
> volume".
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

One correct out of six, not bad for a Saturday.....

--
Have a good day

Ron Martell wrote:

> "jonesy" <stevenjones_6@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I have 2 disks in a server that I want to make into 1 partition - I
>>have made them both dynamic, but when I make them into a partition, I
>>format them but still cannot access them (it says that the size of the
>>partition 0 bytes). What am I doing wrong?
>

> Launch Windows XP's Help and Support and search for "Create a spanned
> volume".
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Good luck is right. Spanning a volume across multiple disks is
dangerous; if one disk fails the entire volume is lost.

Steve