"Genuine Advantage" crack?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
45 answers Last reply
More about genuine advantage crack
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:

    | Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Yes go into the IE EXPLOADER go to internet options programs then click on
    manage add ons find the add-ons that have been used by IE find the Windows
    Genuine Advantage highlight it and then at the bottom click on disable and
    you can recive updates.

    "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Who said his was not legitimate??

    Don Burnette


    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!
    >
    >
    >> Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?


    --
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    My version is legitimate - but I want to approve everything that goes on my
    machine - and Microsoft hasn't shown me that they're reliable enough that I
    should just "trust" them. Besides, I don't like the idea of being forced to
    accept everything they want to send my way.


    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    news:%23qqTcuAsFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
    >
    > | Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    About Genuine Microsoft Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx

    Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

    Protecting Your Privacy
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/PrivacyInfo.aspx?displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:

    | My version is legitimate - but I want to approve everything that goes on my
    | machine - and Microsoft hasn't shown me that they're reliable enough that I
    | should just "trust" them. Besides, I don't like the idea of being forced to
    | accept everything they want to send my way.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:12:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
    <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

    >Who said his was not legitimate??

    Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this conglomerate
    and all its hoard of robots consider the great unwashed public to be
    thieves. Or at least until they can prove they aren't and even then,
    with a legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands, there still
    isn't any guarantee that this conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed
    to appear before a Senate investigation committee into its own
    business practices and ethics will honor that legally obtained and
    paid for copy in your hands.

    Regards,
    Ed
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    About Genuine Microsoft Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate.aspx

    Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

    Protecting Your Privacy
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/PrivacyInfo.aspx?displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Ed" wrote:

    | Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this conglomerate
    | and all its hoard of robots consider the great unwashed public to be
    | thieves. Or at least until they can prove they aren't and even then,
    | with a legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands, there still
    | isn't any guarantee that this conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed
    | to appear before a Senate investigation committee into its own
    | business practices and ethics will honor that legally obtained and
    | paid for copy in your hands.
    |
    | Regards,
    | Ed
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote:

    >My version is legitimate - but I want to approve everything that goes on my
    >machine - and Microsoft hasn't shown me that they're reliable enough that I
    >should just "trust" them. Besides, I don't like the idea of being forced to
    >accept everything they want to send my way.
    >
    >

    If you consider them to be that untrustworthy then why are you even
    using their software?

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

    >Who said his was not legitimate??
    >
    >Don Burnette
    >
    >

    Can you provide any evidence of a single substantiated instance where
    a legitimate copy of Windows was not accepted by WGA?


    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:18:52 -0400, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++"
    <rmo555@cox.net> wrote:

    >and Microsoft hasn't shown me that they're reliable enough that I
    >should just "trust" them.

    Smart move on your behalf knowing the reputation of the conglomerate
    in question. The United State Senate thought they were shady enough
    to pull their ass in before an investigation committee. AND... as you
    see, they assumed your copy was illegitimate and you were a crook
    right off the bat. These people have no honor or ethics and they have
    the gaul to question our honor or ethics and assume us to be crooks
    until we can prove we are not because their bug laden activation
    scheme is known for not working.

    Regards,
    Ed
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Ed" wrote:

    | Smart move on your behalf knowing the reputation of the conglomerate
    | in question. The United State Senate thought they were shady enough
    | to pull their ass in before an investigation committee. AND... as you
    | see, they assumed your copy was illegitimate and you were a crook
    | right off the bat. These people have no honor or ethics and they have
    | the gaul to question our honor or ethics and assume us to be crooks
    | until we can prove we are not because their bug laden activation
    | scheme is known for not working.
    |
    | Regards,
    | Ed
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 21:00:37 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?

    Nope.... And... they haven't been subpoenaed to appear before a
    Senate Investigation Committee to defend their questionable business
    practices and ethics either..... I guess one goes hand in hand with
    the other... In other words, Crooks and those that flock around them
    and proudly fly their banner always seem to be the most suspicious of
    others..... Hummmm...... sort of like those that assume when others
    have issues with activation or verification that the victim is running
    an illegitimate copy.... Sound Familiar? Spin it as you will but you
    can't hide what you are.....

    Ed
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In news:g91ih1h25pu2u7q4ccce45ejfaifhql6ds@4ax.com,
    Ed <fake@fake.com> typed:
    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 21:00:37 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    > <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?
    >
    > Nope.... And... they haven't been subpoenaed to appear before a
    > Senate Investigation Committee to defend their questionable business
    > practices and ethics either.....

    I guess you don't bank with one of those Savings & Loans I read about in the
    papers a few years back. That's good.

    <rant snipped>
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <#qqTcuAsFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Carey Frisch
    [MVP] favored us with...
    > "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
    > | Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

    > Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!

    It's not always appropriate to go for the "zinger", my friend.

    I have a legitimate copy of XP, and still the "Genuine Advantage:
    checker failed on my system. I have no idea why, but for a week or so
    I was unable to get updates.

    One day it mysteriously began working. If it hadn't, I'd have had to
    go out looking for a cracker to use the software that I _paid_ for.

    --
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
    been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Ed wrote:
    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:12:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
    > <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Who said his was not legitimate??
    >
    > Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this conglomerate
    > and all its hoard of robots consider the great unwashed public to be
    > thieves. Or at least until they can prove they aren't and even then,
    > with a legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands, there still
    > isn't any guarantee that this conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed
    > to appear before a Senate investigation committee into its own
    > business practices and ethics will honor that legally obtained and
    > paid for copy in your hands.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ed

    Naw, most MVPs are as idiotic as Carey.

    Carey is "Special," as in Special Olympics!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?

    Is MS paying me interest for using XP?

    And if you know your tellers, and are friendly to them, then you don't
    need an ID to cash a check. But I suspect an sh*thead like would have
    to show ID even more if your tellers got to know you.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Must be an XP thing. Has not hit me on W2K3

    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d82d835c5f7649896d0@news.individual.net...
    > In article <#qqTcuAsFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Carey Frisch
    > [MVP] favored us with...
    >> "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
    >> | Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
    >
    >> Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!
    >
    > It's not always appropriate to go for the "zinger", my friend.
    >
    > I have a legitimate copy of XP, and still the "Genuine Advantage:
    > checker failed on my system. I have no idea why, but for a week or so
    > I was unable to get updates.
    >
    > One day it mysteriously began working. If it hadn't, I'd have had to
    > go out looking for a cracker to use the software that I _paid_ for.
    >
    > --
    > Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
    > been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Ron Martell wrote:

    > Can you provide any evidence of a single substantiated instance where
    > a legitimate copy of Windows was not accepted by WGA?
    >
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada


    As both a Canadian and American citizen, the last time I
    checked was that the burden of illegitimacy is proof beyond
    a shadow of doubt by the accuser, or Microsoft. Rejection
    by WGA is not a demonstration of such proof since (a) WGA
    has not been certified to be error-proof by an independent
    organization nor (b) has Microsoft proved beyond reasonable
    doubt that each Windows XP, sold through its own distribution
    net and affiliates is guaranteed to pass WGA. Furthermore,
    (c) Microsoft is unable to protect the legitimacy of its
    own product by making it piracy-proof, thereby invalidating
    WGA among those presumed legitimate purchasers. That is,
    Microsoft must safeguard its very own registered trademarks
    and copyrights...which it has not done successfully.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Really!

    Alias
    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote

    > Who said his was not legitimate??
    >
    > Don Burnette
    >
    >
    >
    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >> Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!
    >>
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I agree with this post.

    --


    The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com


    "Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
    news:9hvhh1pfn37g1b02cjg7jr3vootoiffung@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:12:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
    > <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Who said his was not legitimate??
    >
    > Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this conglomerate
    > and all its hoard of robots consider the great unwashed public to be
    > thieves. Or at least until they can prove they aren't and even then,
    > with a legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands, there still
    > isn't any guarantee that this conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed
    > to appear before a Senate investigation committee into its own
    > business practices and ethics will honor that legally obtained and
    > paid for copy in your hands.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ed
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Google is your friend?

    or try www.microsoft.com


    "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:yV3Se.3734$rj.0@lakeread07...
    > Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
    >
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <sqaih1559d9sj1tju18fmo54iidtvilod4@4ax.com>, Ron Martell
    favored us with...
    > Can you provide any evidence of a single substantiated instance where
    > a legitimate copy of Windows was not accepted by WGA?

    [raises hand]

    Happened to me, and someone else posted his experience upthread

    --
    Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
    been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?

    You're attempt to compare accessing money to installing a mere download
    is laughable.

    Microsoft sells us a product, not a service. If they could admit it,
    then a service is what they would rather sell us - with a monthly
    subscription to Windows. Then, they might have a reason for wanting to
    check that people who download updates were subscribers.

    --
    Marc
    Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information..
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    IE Exploader? Where's that?

    "Dilligaf" <Dilligaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:62275D01-3A03-497E-B6D8-6ABB485E403D@microsoft.com...
    | Yes go into the IE EXPLOADER go to internet options programs then click on
    | manage add ons find the add-ons that have been used by IE find the Windows
    | Genuine Advantage highlight it and then at the bottom click on disable and
    | you can recive updates.
    |
    | "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
    |
    | > Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
    | >
    | >
    | >
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Cheque Carey.

    --
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    =================================================
    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:ezFyJtCsFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "Ed" wrote:
    >
    > | Smart move on your behalf knowing the reputation of the conglomerate
    > | in question. The United State Senate thought they were shady enough
    > | to pull their ass in before an investigation committee. AND... as you
    > | see, they assumed your copy was illegitimate and you were a crook
    > | right off the bat. These people have no honor or ethics and they have
    > | the gaul to question our honor or ethics and assume us to be crooks
    > | until we can prove we are not because their bug laden activation
    > | scheme is known for not working.
    > |
    > | Regards,
    > | Ed
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Ron Martell wrote:

    > "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>My version is legitimate - but I want to approve everything that goes on my
    >>machine - and Microsoft hasn't shown me that they're reliable enough that I
    >>should just "trust" them. Besides, I don't like the idea of being forced to
    >>accept everything they want to send my way.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
    > If you consider them to be that untrustworthy then why are you even
    > using their software?
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Surely you must know...maybe not everyone who mistrusts MS
    uses all of its software. Perhaps just the essential ones, such
    as the operating system. And one has little choice when, in a
    monopolistic situation, Windows is the predominant OS that is
    available...by 95% over all others. And how did it get that
    way? As an OEM and system builder in the 1980's, I certainly
    remember selling MS-DOS because it was the cheapest (compared
    to any Unix variety), worked with the Intel 8086 family of CPU's,
    was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
    without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.
    If one must shake hands with the devil because that is the only
    game in town, then so be it.
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    +++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

    Easy...one must do a little bit of work and it means doing
    manual download and updates. IMO, it never hurts to spend
    about an hour each week visiting the important Microsoft
    site such as security, downloads, etc., and getting the
    patches. And it helps to use a non-Windows XP machine to do
    the visiting and getting the XP stuff.

    IOW, if one wants to remain "dumbed down", then one must pay
    the piper, er, Bill Gates.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I had no problems till it became mandatory. Now I can't validate. It wants me to type stupid codes. No way.

    --
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    =================================================
    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d82d835c5f7649896d0@news.individual.net...
    > In article <#qqTcuAsFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Carey Frisch
    > [MVP] favored us with...
    >> "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
    >> | Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
    >
    >> Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!
    >
    > It's not always appropriate to go for the "zinger", my friend.
    >
    > I have a legitimate copy of XP, and still the "Genuine Advantage:
    > checker failed on my system. I have no idea why, but for a week or so
    > I was unable to get updates.
    >
    > One day it mysteriously began working. If it hadn't, I'd have had to
    > go out looking for a cracker to use the software that I _paid_ for.
    >
    > --
    > Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
    > been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In news:1125739845.16092.0@doris.uk.clara.net,
    Marc <see@signature.url> typed:
    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >> Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?
    >
    > You're attempt to compare accessing money to installing a mere
    > download is laughable.
    >
    > Microsoft sells us a product, not a service.

    Not really. Microsoft sells you a license to run their software.

    > If they could admit it,
    > then a service is what they would rather sell us - with a monthly
    > subscription to Windows. Then, they might have a reason for wanting to
    > check that people who download updates were subscribers.

    Well, again, you don't own Windows, and you don't own Office, and you don't
    own Photoshop. You purchased the right to install and use X copies of
    product Y on your computers. There is a difference - and there's also plenty
    of open source stuff out there if you wish to use it, to which the above
    would not apply.

    Copyright stuff was sure a lot easier before the turn of the (20th) century.
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    news:sqaih1559d9sj1tju18fmo54iidtvilod4@4ax.com...
    > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Who said his was not legitimate??
    >>
    >>Don Burnette
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Can you provide any evidence of a single substantiated instance where
    > a legitimate copy of Windows was not accepted by WGA?
    >

    Let me just say, regarding your inquiry here Ron, that I have just
    reformatted my PC, installed XP Pro (retail/legal) and SP2 again. I didn't
    get so far to activating before the first 27 or so updates went down into my
    PC via automatic updates but when trying to get "non critical" updates I had
    to install the Genuine Advantages thingy first and after installing that it
    said I can't get any updates because I had not activated the OS yet.

    So I would say that it is, at least, holding back some updates because of
    the lack of activation.

    Regards,

    Gunilla.
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >
    > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    kurttrail wrote:
    > Ed wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:12:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
    >><d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Who said his was not legitimate??
    >>
    >>Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this conglomerate
    >>and all its hoard of robots consider the great unwashed public to be
    >>thieves. Or at least until they can prove they aren't and even then,
    >>with a legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands, there still
    >>isn't any guarantee that this conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed
    >>to appear before a Senate investigation committee into its own
    >>business practices and ethics will honor that legally obtained and
    >>paid for copy in your hands.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Ed
    >
    >
    > Naw, most MVPs are as idiotic as Carey.

    I hope you really meant "are not".

    >
    > Carey is "Special," as in Special Olympics!
    >

    If that wasn't an insult to those special people it'd almost be funny.

    Steve
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I know people who have pirated XPs and they passed. Again, WPA and WGA only
    affect and inconvenience paying customers and do nothing whatsoever to stop
    piracy.

    Alias

    "Stan Brown" wrote

    > In article Ron Martell
    > favored us with...
    >> Can you provide any evidence of a single substantiated instance where
    >> a legitimate copy of Windows was not accepted by WGA?
    >
    > [raises hand]
    >
    > Happened to me, and someone else posted his experience upthread
    >
    > --
    > Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
    > been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    > In news:1125739845.16092.0@doris.uk.clara.net,
    > Marc <see@signature.url> typed:
    >> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >>> Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?
    >>
    >> You're attempt to compare accessing money to installing a mere
    >> download is laughable.
    >>
    >> Microsoft sells us a product, not a service.
    >
    > Not really. Microsoft sells you a license to run their software.

    LOL! It sells a copy of software that has a shrink-wrap license. My TV
    comes with a shrink-wrap license too, and no one believes they are
    licensing a TV.

    >> If they could admit it,
    >> then a service is what they would rather sell us - with a monthly
    >> subscription to Windows. Then, they might have a reason for wanting
    >> to check that people who download updates were subscribers.
    >
    > Well, again, you don't own Windows, and you don't own Office, and you
    > don't own Photoshop.

    You don't own the copyright to the software, but you do own the copy of
    software that was sold to you by the previous owner of the software, the
    retailer.

    > You purchased the right to install and use X
    > copies of product Y on your computers. There is a difference - and
    > there's also plenty of open source stuff out there if you wish to use
    > it, to which the above would not apply.

    The right of first sale give you the right to use your copy of
    copyrighted software, not the shrinkwrap license.

    > Copyright stuff was sure a lot easier before the turn of the (20th)
    > century.

    Actually the legal concept of "fair use" is much older than that. The
    colluding members of the BSA are trying to FUD people into believing
    that their "fair use" rights can be shrink-wrap licensed away, but have
    yet to prove that in a court of law. Until they prove otherwise, a
    person has every right to believe that their rights under existing
    copyright law trumps the FUD written in post-sale shrinkwrap licenses.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Yes, easy-peasy. Don't have it installed at all, and still have full access
    to Windows Update & downloads, requiring validation.


    Jon


    "+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:yV3Se.3734$rj.0@lakeread07...
    > Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
    >
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    GHalleck wrote:
    >
    > was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
    > without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.

    Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
    Totally FALSE.

    > If one must shake hands with the devil because that is the only
    > game in town, then so be it.

    Eh?


    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I found
    this definition of a computer... "A device that computes, especially
    a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
    mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
    correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
    seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
    computer because all of those functions require an operating
    system, eh?

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    news:431a4805$0$216$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
    | GHalleck wrote:
    | >
    | > was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
    | > without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.
    |
    | Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
    | Totally FALSE.
    |
    | > If one must shake hands with the devil because that is the only
    | > game in town, then so be it.
    |
    | Eh?
    |
    |
    |
    | --
    | http://www.bootdisk.com/
    |
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Bob wrote:

    > Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I found
    > this definition of a computer... "A device that computes, especially
    > a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
    > mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
    > correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
    > seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
    > computer because all of those functions require an operating
    > system, eh?

    Nope. CPU, BIOS, Chipset, all have program code.

    Steve


    >
    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > news:431a4805$0$216$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
    > | GHalleck wrote:
    > | >
    > | > was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
    > | > without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.
    > |
    > | Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
    > | Totally FALSE.
    > |
    > | > If one must shake hands with the devil because that is the only
    > | > game in town, then so be it.
    > |
    > | Eh?
    > |
    > |
    > |
    > | --
    > | http://www.bootdisk.com/
    > |
    >
    >
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Oh, I see, the dictionary is wrong then, and must be corrected to
    read: "a computer is a device that contains a CPU, a BIOS and
    a Chipset". Somehow me thinks you may be in the minority with
    that train of thought...or lack thereof : - (

    "Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
    news:aiESe.249$9x2.210@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    | Bob wrote:
    |
    | > Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I found
    | > this definition of a computer... "A device that computes, especially
    | > a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
    | > mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
    | > correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
    | > seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
    | > computer because all of those functions require an operating
    | > system, eh?
    |
    | Nope. CPU, BIOS, Chipset, all have program code.
    |
    | Steve
    |
    |
    | >
    | > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    | > news:431a4805$0$216$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
    | > | GHalleck wrote:
    | > | >
    | > | > was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
    | > | > without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.
    | > |
    | > | Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
    | > | Totally FALSE.
    | > |
    | > | > If one must shake hands with the devil because that is the only
    | > | > game in town, then so be it.
    | > |
    | > | Eh?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | http://www.bootdisk.com/
    | > |
    | >
    | >
    |
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Internet Explorer

    "Bob" wrote:

    > IE Exploader? Where's that?
    >
    > "Dilligaf" <Dilligaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:62275D01-3A03-497E-B6D8-6ABB485E403D@microsoft.com...
    > | Yes go into the IE EXPLOADER go to internet options programs then click on
    > | manage add ons find the add-ons that have been used by IE find the Windows
    > | Genuine Advantage highlight it and then at the bottom click on disable and
    > | you can recive updates.
    > |
    > | "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
    > | >
    > | >
    > | >
    >
    >
    >
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Internet Explorer

    "Bob" wrote:

    > IE Exploader? Where's that?
    >
    > "Dilligaf" <Dilligaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:62275D01-3A03-497E-B6D8-6ABB485E403D@microsoft.com...
    > | Yes go into the IE EXPLOADER go to internet options programs then click on
    > | manage add ons find the add-ons that have been used by IE find the Windows
    > | Genuine Advantage highlight it and then at the bottom click on disable and
    > | you can recive updates.
    > |
    > | "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
    > | >
    > | >
    > | >
    >
    >
    >
  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Bob wrote:
    >
    > Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I found
    > this definition of a computer... "A device that computes, especially
    > a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
    > mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
    > correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
    > seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
    > computer because all of those functions require an operating
    > system, eh?

    That's a pretty wide defn. It would seem to indicate that your basic
    calculator is a computer, which it probably is. On the other hand, is a
    slide rule a computer? How about an abacus? How about a string with
    knots to keep track of a villages population?

    Lets say I built a brand new pc with all the bells and whisles but the
    customer didn't want me to put an OS on it. What did I build then?

    Or, lets say I build a system and the customer only wants to run a live
    linux cd to get on the internet. Does it cease being a computer if he
    takes the cd disk out of the drive?


    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > news:431a4805$0$216$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
    > | GHalleck wrote:
    > | >
    > | > was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
    > | > without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.
    > |
    > | Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
    > | Totally FALSE.
  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Bob wrote:
    >
    > Oh, I see, the dictionary is wrong then, and must be corrected to
    > read: "a computer is a device that contains a CPU, a BIOS and
    > a Chipset". Somehow me thinks you may be in the minority with
    > that train of thought...or lack thereof : - (

    1. The dictionary is an evolving animal. Defn's change all the time.

    2. Just because you find "one" reference that backs up an argument does
    not mean the argument is settled. That's why when you do a paper, for
    example, you use _many_ references from different and varied sources to
    back up your argument.

    3. Being in the minority of a "train of thought" does not make that
    train of thought the most factual.
  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In news:431bda48$0$219$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com,
    Plato <|@|.|> typed:

    > Bob wrote:
    >>
    >> Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I
    >> found
    >> this definition of a computer... "A device that computes,
    >> especially
    >> a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
    >> mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
    >> correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
    >> seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
    >> computer because all of those functions require an operating
    >> system, eh?
    >
    > That's a pretty wide defn. It would seem to indicate that your
    > basic
    > calculator is a computer, which it probably is. On the other
    > hand, is
    > a slide rule a computer? How about an abacus? How about a
    > string with
    > knots to keep track of a villages population?
    >
    > Lets say I built a brand new pc with all the bells and whisles
    > but the
    > customer didn't want me to put an OS on it. What did I build
    > then?
    >
    > Or, lets say I build a system and the customer only wants to
    > run a
    > live linux cd to get on the internet. Does it cease being a
    > computer
    > if he takes the cd disk out of the drive?


    Over and above all your good points, there have been many
    computers built that ran without any operating system at all. The
    first computer I used, starting in 1962, was an IBM 1401. It had
    no operating system.

    --
    Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    Please reply to the newsgroup
  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Bob wrote:

    > Oh, I see, the dictionary is wrong then, and must be corrected to
    > read: "a computer is a device that contains a CPU, a BIOS and
    > a Chipset". Somehow me thinks you may be in the minority with
    > that train of thought...or lack thereof : - (

    I never said the dictionary is wrong, only that your interpetation of
    the definition is wrong. The definition accurately describes a computer,
    any computer, including the one in your car. What OS is it running,
    smartass?

    Steve


    >
    > "Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
    > news:aiESe.249$9x2.210@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > | Bob wrote:
    > |
    > | > Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I found
    > | > this definition of a computer... "A device that computes, especially
    > | > a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
    > | > mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
    > | > correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
    > | > seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
    > | > computer because all of those functions require an operating
    > | > system, eh?
    > |
    > | Nope. CPU, BIOS, Chipset, all have program code.
    > |
    > | Steve
    > |
    > |
    > | >
    > | > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > | > news:431a4805$0$216$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
    > | > | GHalleck wrote:
    > | > | >
    > | > | > was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
    > | > | > without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.
    > | > |
    > | > | Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
    > | > | Totally FALSE.
    > | > |
    > | > | > If one must shake hands with the devil because that is the only
    > | > | > game in town, then so be it.
    > | > |
    > | > | Eh?
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > | --
    > | > | http://www.bootdisk.com/
    > | > |
    > | >
    > | >
    > |
    >
    >
  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Steve N. wrote:
    > kurttrail wrote:
    >> Ed wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:12:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
    >>> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Who said his was not legitimate??
    >>>
    >>> Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this
    >>> conglomerate and all its hoard of robots consider the great
    >>> unwashed public to be thieves. Or at least until they can prove
    >>> they aren't and even then, with a legally obtained and paid for
    >>> copy in your hands, there still isn't any guarantee that this
    >>> conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
    >>> investigation committee into its own business practices and ethics
    >>> will honor that legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Ed
    >>
    >>
    >> Naw, most MVPs are as idiotic as Carey.
    >
    > I hope you really meant "are not".

    Yes.

    >
    >>
    >> Carey is "Special," as in Special Olympics!
    >>
    >
    > If that wasn't an insult to those special people it'd almost be funny.

    I don't think he win anything, except maybe lowest IQ ever recorded.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Ask a new question

Read More

Microsoft Windows XP