"Genuine Advantage" crack?

September 2, 2005 9:56:38 PM

Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 9:56:39 PM

Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:

| Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
September 2, 2005 9:56:39 PM

Yes go into the IE EXPLOADER go to internet options programs then click on
manage add ons find the add-ons that have been used by IE find the Windows
Genuine Advantage highlight it and then at the bottom click on disable and
you can recive updates.

"+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

September 2, 2005 10:12:37 PM

Who said his was not legitimate??

Don Burnette

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!
>

>> Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

September 3, 2005 12:18:52 AM

My version is legitimate - but I want to approve everything that goes on my
machine - and Microsoft hasn't shown me that they're reliable enough that I
should just "trust" them. Besides, I don't like the idea of being forced to
accept everything they want to send my way.

> Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
>
> | Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:51:55 AM

About Genuine Microsoft Software
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyvalidate....

Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?dis...

Protecting Your Privacy
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/PrivacyInfo....

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:

| My version is legitimate - but I want to approve everything that goes on my
| machine - and Microsoft hasn't shown me that they're reliable enough that I
| should just "trust" them. Besides, I don't like the idea of being forced to
| accept everything they want to send my way.
September 3, 2005 1:47:45 AM

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:12:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>Who said his was not legitimate??

Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this conglomerate
and all its hoard of robots consider the great unwashed public to be
thieves. Or at least until they can prove they aren't and even then,
with a legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands, there still
isn't any guarantee that this conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed
to appear before a Senate investigation committee into its own
business practices and ethics will honor that legally obtained and
paid for copy in your hands.

Regards,
Ed
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:47:46 AM

"Ed" wrote:

| Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this conglomerate
| and all its hoard of robots consider the great unwashed public to be
| thieves. Or at least until they can prove they aren't and even then,
| with a legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands, there still
| isn't any guarantee that this conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed
| to appear before a Senate investigation committee into its own
| business practices and ethics will honor that legally obtained and
| paid for copy in your hands.
|
| Regards,
| Ed
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:49:14 AM

"+++Bobby \"O\"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote:

>My version is legitimate - but I want to approve everything that goes on my
>machine - and Microsoft hasn't shown me that they're reliable enough that I
>should just "trust" them. Besides, I don't like the idea of being forced to
>accept everything they want to send my way.

If you consider them to be that untrustworthy then why are you even
using their software?

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:50:27 AM

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>Who said his was not legitimate??
>
>Don Burnette

Can you provide any evidence of a single substantiated instance where
a legitimate copy of Windows was not accepted by WGA?

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
September 3, 2005 1:55:33 AM

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:18:52 -0400, "+++Bobby \"O\"+++"
<rmo555@cox.net> wrote:

>and Microsoft hasn't shown me that they're reliable enough that I
>should just "trust" them.

Smart move on your behalf knowing the reputation of the conglomerate
in question. The United State Senate thought they were shady enough
to pull their ass in before an investigation committee. AND... as you
see, they assumed your copy was illegitimate and you were a crook
right off the bat. These people have no honor or ethics and they have
the gaul to question our honor or ethics and assume us to be crooks
until we can prove we are not because their bug laden activation
scheme is known for not working.

Regards,
Ed
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:55:34 AM

Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ed" wrote:

| Smart move on your behalf knowing the reputation of the conglomerate
| in question. The United State Senate thought they were shady enough
| to pull their ass in before an investigation committee. AND... as you
| see, they assumed your copy was illegitimate and you were a crook
| right off the bat. These people have no honor or ethics and they have
| the gaul to question our honor or ethics and assume us to be crooks
| until we can prove we are not because their bug laden activation
| scheme is known for not working.
|
| Regards,
| Ed
September 3, 2005 2:15:20 AM

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 21:00:37 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?

Nope.... And... they haven't been subpoenaed to appear before a
Senate Investigation Committee to defend their questionable business
practices and ethics either..... I guess one goes hand in hand with
the other... In other words, Crooks and those that flock around them
and proudly fly their banner always seem to be the most suspicious of
others..... Hummmm...... sort of like those that assume when others
have issues with activation or verification that the victim is running
an illegitimate copy.... Sound Familiar? Spin it as you will but you
can't hide what you are.....

Ed
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:36:27 AM

In news:g91ih1h25pu2u7q4ccce45ejfaifhql6ds@4ax.com,
Ed <fake@fake.com> typed:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 21:00:37 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?
>
> Nope.... And... they haven't been subpoenaed to appear before a
> Senate Investigation Committee to defend their questionable business
> practices and ethics either.....

I guess you don't bank with one of those Savings & Loans I read about in the
papers a few years back. That's good.

<rant snipped>
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:44:57 AM

In article <#qqTcuAsFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Carey Frisch
[MVP] favored us with...
> "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
> | Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

> Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!

It's not always appropriate to go for the "zinger", my friend.

I have a legitimate copy of XP, and still the "Genuine Advantage:
checker failed on my system. I have no idea why, but for a week or so
I was unable to get updates.

One day it mysteriously began working. If it hadn't, I'd have had to
go out looking for a cracker to use the software that I _paid_ for.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
September 3, 2005 2:53:56 AM

Ed wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:12:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Who said his was not legitimate??
>
> Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this conglomerate
> and all its hoard of robots consider the great unwashed public to be
> thieves. Or at least until they can prove they aren't and even then,
> with a legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands, there still
> isn't any guarantee that this conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed
> to appear before a Senate investigation committee into its own
> business practices and ethics will honor that legally obtained and
> paid for copy in your hands.
>
> Regards,
> Ed

Naw, most MVPs are as idiotic as Carey.

Carey is "Special," as in Special Olympics!

--
Peace!
Kurt

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?

Is MS paying me interest for using XP?

And if you know your tellers, and are friendly to them, then you don't
need an ID to cash a check. But I suspect an sh*thead like would have
to show ID even more if your tellers got to know you.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:42:23 AM

Must be an XP thing. Has not hit me on W2K3

--
Peter

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d82d835c5f7649896d0@news.individual.net...
> In article <#qqTcuAsFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Carey Frisch
> [MVP] favored us with...
>> "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
>> | Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
>
>> Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!
>
> It's not always appropriate to go for the "zinger", my friend.
>
> I have a legitimate copy of XP, and still the "Genuine Advantage:
> checker failed on my system. I have no idea why, but for a week or so
> I was unable to get updates.
>
> One day it mysteriously began working. If it hadn't, I'd have had to
> go out looking for a cracker to use the software that I _paid_ for.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
> been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:59:48 AM

Ron Martell wrote:

> Can you provide any evidence of a single substantiated instance where
> a legitimate copy of Windows was not accepted by WGA?
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

As both a Canadian and American citizen, the last time I
checked was that the burden of illegitimacy is proof beyond
a shadow of doubt by the accuser, or Microsoft. Rejection
by WGA is not a demonstration of such proof since (a) WGA
has not been certified to be error-proof by an independent
organization nor (b) has Microsoft proved beyond reasonable
doubt that each Windows XP, sold through its own distribution
net and affiliates is guaranteed to pass WGA. Furthermore,
(c) Microsoft is unable to protect the legitimacy of its
own product by making it piracy-proof, thereby invalidating
WGA among those presumed legitimate purchasers. That is,
Microsoft must safeguard its very own registered trademarks
and copyrights...which it has not done successfully.
September 3, 2005 6:02:27 AM

Really!

Alias
"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote

> Who said his was not legitimate??
>
> Don Burnette
>

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!
>>

>>> Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

September 3, 2005 6:49:41 AM

I agree with this post.

"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:12:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Who said his was not legitimate??
>
> Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this conglomerate
> and all its hoard of robots consider the great unwashed public to be
> thieves. Or at least until they can prove they aren't and even then,
> with a legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands, there still
> isn't any guarantee that this conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed
> to appear before a Senate investigation committee into its own
> business practices and ethics will honor that legally obtained and
> paid for copy in your hands.
>
> Regards,
> Ed
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:06:56 PM

Google is your friend?

or try www.microsoft.com

"+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:29:47 PM

In article <sqaih1559d9sj1tju18fmo54iidtvilod4@4ax.com>, Ron Martell
favored us with...
> Can you provide any evidence of a single substantiated instance where
> a legitimate copy of Windows was not accepted by WGA?

[raises hand]

Happened to me, and someone else posted his experience upthread

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
September 3, 2005 2:30:37 PM

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?

You're attempt to compare accessing money to installing a mere download
is laughable.

Microsoft sells us a product, not a service. If they could admit it,
then a service is what they would rather sell us - with a monthly
subscription to Windows. Then, they might have a reason for wanting to
check that people who download updates were subscribers.

--
Marc
Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information..

IE Exploader? Where's that?

"Dilligaf" <Dilligaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Yes go into the IE EXPLOADER go to internet options programs then click on
| manage add ons find the add-ons that have been used by IE find the Windows
| Genuine Advantage highlight it and then at the bottom click on disable and
| you can recive updates.
|
| "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
|
| > Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 4:27:17 PM

Cheque Carey.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:ezFyJtCsFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Ed" wrote:
>
> | Smart move on your behalf knowing the reputation of the conglomerate
> | in question. The United State Senate thought they were shady enough
> | to pull their ass in before an investigation committee. AND... as you
> | see, they assumed your copy was illegitimate and you were a crook
> | right off the bat. These people have no honor or ethics and they have
> | the gaul to question our honor or ethics and assume us to be crooks
> | until we can prove we are not because their bug laden activation
> | scheme is known for not working.
> |
> | Regards,
> | Ed
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 4:31:45 PM

Ron Martell wrote:

> "+++Bobby \"O\"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>My version is legitimate - but I want to approve everything that goes on my
>>machine - and Microsoft hasn't shown me that they're reliable enough that I
>>should just "trust" them. Besides, I don't like the idea of being forced to
>>accept everything they want to send my way.
>>

> If you consider them to be that untrustworthy then why are you even
> using their software?
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Surely you must know...maybe not everyone who mistrusts MS
uses all of its software. Perhaps just the essential ones, such
as the operating system. And one has little choice when, in a
monopolistic situation, Windows is the predominant OS that is
available...by 95% over all others. And how did it get that
way? As an OEM and system builder in the 1980's, I certainly
remember selling MS-DOS because it was the cheapest (compared
to any Unix variety), worked with the Intel 8086 family of CPU's,
was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.
If one must shake hands with the devil because that is the only
game in town, then so be it.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 4:36:05 PM

+++Bobby "O"+++ wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

Easy...one must do a little bit of work and it means doing
manual download and updates. IMO, it never hurts to spend
about an hour each week visiting the important Microsoft
site such as security, downloads, etc., and getting the
patches. And it helps to use a non-Windows XP machine to do
the visiting and getting the XP stuff.

IOW, if one wants to remain "dumbed down", then one must pay
the piper, er, Bill Gates.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 4:57:16 PM

I had no problems till it became mandatory. Now I can't validate. It wants me to type stupid codes. No way.

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d82d835c5f7649896d0@news.individual.net...
> In article <#qqTcuAsFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Carey Frisch
> [MVP] favored us with...
>> "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
>> | Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?
>
>> Yes, purchase and install a legitimate version of Windows XP!
>
> It's not always appropriate to go for the "zinger", my friend.
>
> I have a legitimate copy of XP, and still the "Genuine Advantage:
> checker failed on my system. I have no idea why, but for a week or so
> I was unable to get updates.
>
> One day it mysteriously began working. If it hadn't, I'd have had to
> go out looking for a cracker to use the software that I _paid_ for.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
> been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 6:08:35 PM

In news:1125739845.16092.0@doris.uk.clara.net,
Marc <see@signature.url> typed:
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?
>
> You're attempt to compare accessing money to installing a mere
> download is laughable.
>
> Microsoft sells us a product, not a service.

Not really. Microsoft sells you a license to run their software.

> If they could admit it,
> then a service is what they would rather sell us - with a monthly
> subscription to Windows. Then, they might have a reason for wanting to
> check that people who download updates were subscribers.

Well, again, you don't own Windows, and you don't own Office, and you don't
own Photoshop. You purchased the right to install and use X copies of
product Y on your computers. There is a difference - and there's also plenty
of open source stuff out there if you wish to use it, to which the above
would not apply.

Copyright stuff was sure a lot easier before the turn of the (20th) century.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 6:13:18 PM

"Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Who said his was not legitimate??
>>
>>Don Burnette
>>

> Can you provide any evidence of a single substantiated instance where
> a legitimate copy of Windows was not accepted by WGA?

Let me just say, regarding your inquiry here Ron, that I have just
reformatted my PC, installed XP Pro (retail/legal) and SP2 again. I didn't
get so far to activating before the first 27 or so updates went down into my
PC via automatic updates but when trying to get "non critical" updates I had
to install the Genuine Advantages thingy first and after installing that it
said I can't get any updates because I had not activated the OS yet.

So I would say that it is, at least, holding back some updates because of
the lack of activation.

Regards,

Gunilla.

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 7:48:25 PM

kurttrail wrote:
> Ed wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:12:37 -0500, "Don Burnette"
>><d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Who said his was not legitimate??
>>
>>Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this conglomerate
>>and all its hoard of robots consider the great unwashed public to be
>>thieves. Or at least until they can prove they aren't and even then,
>>with a legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands, there still
>>isn't any guarantee that this conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed
>>to appear before a Senate investigation committee into its own
>>business practices and ethics will honor that legally obtained and
>>paid for copy in your hands.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Ed
>

> Naw, most MVPs are as idiotic as Carey.

I hope you really meant "are not".

> Carey is "Special," as in Special Olympics!

If that wasn't an insult to those special people it'd almost be funny.

Steve
September 3, 2005 9:00:00 PM

I know people who have pirated XPs and they passed. Again, WPA and WGA only
affect and inconvenience paying customers and do nothing whatsoever to stop
piracy.

Alias

"Stan Brown" wrote

> In article Ron Martell
> favored us with...
>> Can you provide any evidence of a single substantiated instance where
>> a legitimate copy of Windows was not accepted by WGA?
>
> [raises hand]
>
> Happened to me, and someone else posted his experience upthread

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
> been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 9:19:25 PM

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> In news:1125739845.16092.0@doris.uk.clara.net,
> Marc <see@signature.url> typed:
>> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>>> Does you bank require ID to confirm identity when cashing a check?
>>
>> You're attempt to compare accessing money to installing a mere
>> download is laughable.
>>
>> Microsoft sells us a product, not a service.
>
> Not really. Microsoft sells you a license to run their software.

LOL! It sells a copy of software that has a shrink-wrap license. My TV
comes with a shrink-wrap license too, and no one believes they are
licensing a TV.

>> If they could admit it,
>> then a service is what they would rather sell us - with a monthly
>> subscription to Windows. Then, they might have a reason for wanting
>> to check that people who download updates were subscribers.
>
> Well, again, you don't own Windows, and you don't own Office, and you
> don't own Photoshop.

You don't own the copyright to the software, but you do own the copy of
software that was sold to you by the previous owner of the software, the
retailer.

> You purchased the right to install and use X
> copies of product Y on your computers. There is a difference - and
> there's also plenty of open source stuff out there if you wish to use
> it, to which the above would not apply.

The right of first sale give you the right to use your copy of
copyrighted software, not the shrinkwrap license.

> Copyright stuff was sure a lot easier before the turn of the (20th)
> century.

Actually the legal concept of "fair use" is much older than that. The
colluding members of the BSA are trying to FUD people into believing
that their "fair use" rights can be shrink-wrap licensed away, but have
yet to prove that in a court of law. Until they prove otherwise, a
person has every right to believe that their rights under existing
copyright law trumps the FUD written in post-sale shrinkwrap licenses.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
September 3, 2005 11:33:39 PM

Yes, easy-peasy. Don't have it installed at all, and still have full access
to Windows Update & downloads, requiring validation.

Jon

"+++Bobby "O"+++" <rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:07:01 AM

GHalleck wrote:

> was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
> without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.

Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
Totally FALSE.

> If one must shake hands with the devil because that is the only
> game in town, then so be it.

Eh?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
September 4, 2005 12:07:02 AM

Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I found
this definition of a computer... "A device that computes, especially
a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
computer because all of those functions require an operating
system, eh?

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
| GHalleck wrote:
| >
| > was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
| > without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.
|
| Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
| Totally FALSE.
|
| > If one must shake hands with the devil because that is the only
| > game in town, then so be it.
|
| Eh?
|

| --
| http://www.bootdisk.com/

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 7:21:42 PM

Bob wrote:

> Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I found
> this definition of a computer... "A device that computes, especially
> a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
> mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
> correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
> seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
> computer because all of those functions require an operating
> system, eh?

Nope. CPU, BIOS, Chipset, all have program code.

Steve

> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> | GHalleck wrote:
> | >
> | > was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
> | > without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.
> |
> | Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
> | Totally FALSE.
> |
> | > If one must shake hands with the devil because that is the only
> | > game in town, then so be it.
> |
> | Eh?
> |

> | --
> | http://www.bootdisk.com/

September 4, 2005 7:21:43 PM

Oh, I see, the dictionary is wrong then, and must be corrected to
read: "a computer is a device that contains a CPU, a BIOS and
a Chipset". Somehow me thinks you may be in the minority with
that train of thought...or lack thereof : - (

"Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
| Bob wrote:
|
| > Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I found
| > this definition of a computer... "A device that computes, especially
| > a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
| > mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
| > correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
| > seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
| > computer because all of those functions require an operating
| > system, eh?
|
| Nope. CPU, BIOS, Chipset, all have program code.
|
| Steve
|

| > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

| > |
| > | Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
| > | Totally FALSE.
| > |
| > |
| > | Eh?
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | http://www.bootdisk.com/
| > |

September 5, 2005 2:21:04 AM

Internet Explorer

"Bob" wrote:

> IE Exploader? Where's that?
>
> "Dilligaf" <Dilligaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Yes go into the IE EXPLOADER go to internet options programs then click on
> | manage add ons find the add-ons that have been used by IE find the Windows
> | Genuine Advantage highlight it and then at the bottom click on disable and
> | you can recive updates.
> |
> | "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
> |
> | > Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

September 5, 2005 2:22:01 AM

Internet Explorer

"Bob" wrote:

> IE Exploader? Where's that?
>
> "Dilligaf" <Dilligaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Yes go into the IE EXPLOADER go to internet options programs then click on
> | manage add ons find the add-ons that have been used by IE find the Windows
> | Genuine Advantage highlight it and then at the bottom click on disable and
> | you can recive updates.
> |
> | "+++Bobby "O"+++" wrote:
> |
> | > Does anyone know how to get around the "Genuine Advantage" update?

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:42:02 AM

Bob wrote:

> Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I found
> this definition of a computer... "A device that computes, especially
> a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
> mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
> correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
> seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
> computer because all of those functions require an operating
> system, eh?

That's a pretty wide defn. It would seem to indicate that your basic
calculator is a computer, which it probably is. On the other hand, is a
slide rule a computer? How about an abacus? How about a string with
knots to keep track of a villages population?

Lets say I built a brand new pc with all the bells and whisles but the
customer didn't want me to put an OS on it. What did I build then?

Or, lets say I build a system and the customer only wants to run a live
linux cd to get on the internet. Does it cease being a computer if he
takes the cd disk out of the drive?

> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> | GHalleck wrote:
> | >
> | > was not CP/M, and the fact that a computer could not be sold
> | > without an operating system. IOW, there are few alternatives.
> |
> | Eh?, "a computer could not be sold without an operating system"?.
> | Totally FALSE.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:42:03 AM

Bob wrote:

> Oh, I see, the dictionary is wrong then, and must be corrected to
> read: "a computer is a device that contains a CPU, a BIOS and
> a Chipset". Somehow me thinks you may be in the minority with
> that train of thought...or lack thereof : - (

1. The dictionary is an evolving animal. Defn's change all the time.

2. Just because you find "one" reference that backs up an argument does
not mean the argument is settled. That's why when you do a paper, for
example, you use _many_ references from different and varied sources to
back up your argument.

3. Being in the minority of a "train of thought" does not make that
train of thought the most factual.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 5:47:35 PM

In news:431bda48$0$219$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com,
Plato <|@|.|> typed:

> Bob wrote:
>>
>> Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I
>> found
>> this definition of a computer... "A device that computes,
>> especially
>> a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
>> mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
>> correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
>> seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
>> computer because all of those functions require an operating
>> system, eh?
>
> That's a pretty wide defn. It would seem to indicate that your
> basic
> calculator is a computer, which it probably is. On the other
> hand, is
> a slide rule a computer? How about an abacus? How about a
> string with
> knots to keep track of a villages population?
>
> Lets say I built a brand new pc with all the bells and whisles
> but the
> customer didn't want me to put an OS on it. What did I build
> then?
>
> Or, lets say I build a system and the customer only wants to
> run a
> live linux cd to get on the internet. Does it cease being a
> computer
> if he takes the cd disk out of the drive?

Over and above all your good points, there have been many
computers built that ran without any operating system at all. The
first computer I used, starting in 1962, was an IBM 1401. It had
no operating system.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 6:35:45 PM

Bob wrote:

> Oh, I see, the dictionary is wrong then, and must be corrected to
> read: "a computer is a device that contains a CPU, a BIOS and
> a Chipset". Somehow me thinks you may be in the minority with
> that train of thought...or lack thereof : - (

I never said the dictionary is wrong, only that your interpetation of
the definition is wrong. The definition accurately describes a computer,
any computer, including the one in your car. What OS is it running,
smartass?

Steve

> "Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
> | Bob wrote:
> |
> | > Is it a comuter if it doesn't have an operating system? I found
> | > this definition of a computer... "A device that computes, especially
> | > a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
> | > mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
> | > correlates, or otherwise processes information." That would
> | > seem to indicate that, without an operating system, it's not a
> | > computer because all of those functions require an operating
> | > system, eh?
> |
> | Nope. CPU, BIOS, Chipset, all have program code.
> |
> | Steve
> |

> | > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:32:10 AM

Steve N. wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>> Ed wrote:

>>> Don't you just love the arrogance. More proof that this
>>> conglomerate and all its hoard of robots consider the great
>>> unwashed public to be thieves. Or at least until they can prove
>>> they aren't and even then, with a legally obtained and paid for
>>> copy in your hands, there still isn't any guarantee that this
>>> conglomerate that was itself subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
>>> investigation committee into its own business practices and ethics
>>> will honor that legally obtained and paid for copy in your hands.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ed
>>

>> Naw, most MVPs are as idiotic as Carey.
>
> I hope you really meant "are not".

Yes.

>> Carey is "Special," as in Special Olympics!
>>

> If that wasn't an insult to those special people it'd almost be funny.

I don't think he win anything, except maybe lowest IQ ever recorded.

--
!