unknown user name or bad password on UNC share

For various reasons, I need to be able to access my computer (and unc
shares) from two different domains.

For example, my computer is computername.mydomain.com (mydomain.com is our
internal domain where my username and password are controlled by the
Windows2003 Server domain controller). I also need to be able to get to it
through computerdoman.otherdomain.com (otherdomain is what our servers are
known as to the outside world: there is no real domain called
otherdomain.com, it's just aliased through the domain controller).

My problem: when I try to access \\computername.otherdomain.com\wwwroot$
from the computername computer, it does not work. I get an error that says:
"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.". The weird thing is
that I can go to \\computername.otherdomain.com\wwwroot$ from ANY OTHER
computer on the network with no problem. Just won't work from the same
machine. Oh, I can get to \\computername.mydomain.com\wwwroot$ without
trouble.

computername.mydomain.com is a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine with all the
latest security updates and patches applied.

Any ideas?
TIA,
Owen
3
answers
Last reply
More about unknown user password share

    HAve you tried to map a network share with the user name and password option
    or use the cmd prompt doing a netuse statement to that share. highlight my
    network placed right click go to map a network drive click reconnect at login
    in the folder type in the \\network\sharename then click on connect using a
    diferent user name then type in your user name and password and click
    continue and that should work.

    "Owen Mortensen" wrote:

    > For various reasons, I need to be able to access my computer (and unc
    > shares) from two different domains.
    >
    > For example, my computer is computername.mydomain.com (mydomain.com is our
    > internal domain where my username and password are controlled by the
    > Windows2003 Server domain controller). I also need to be able to get to it
    > through computerdoman.otherdomain.com (otherdomain is what our servers are
    > known as to the outside world: there is no real domain called
    > otherdomain.com, it's just aliased through the domain controller).
    >
    > My problem: when I try to access \\computername.otherdomain.com\wwwroot$
    > from the computername computer, it does not work. I get an error that says:
    > "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.". The weird thing is
    > that I can go to \\computername.otherdomain.com\wwwroot$ from ANY OTHER
    > computer on the network with no problem. Just won't work from the same
    > machine. Oh, I can get to \\computername.mydomain.com\wwwroot$ without
    > trouble.
    >
    > computername.mydomain.com is a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine with all the
    > latest security updates and patches applied.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > TIA,
    > Owen

    Thanks for the reply. The command:

    NET USE J: \\computername.otherdomain.com\wwwroot$ thepassword
    /user:mydomain\username

    returns an error: "System error 1326 has occurred" and "Logon failure:

    "Dilligaf" <Dilligaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > HAve you tried to map a network share with the user name and password
    > option
    > or use the cmd prompt doing a netuse statement to that share. highlight my
    > network placed right click go to map a network drive click reconnect at
    > login
    > in the folder type in the \\network\sharename then click on connect using
    > diferent user name then type in your user name and password and click
    > continue and that should work.
    >

    > "Owen Mortensen" wrote:
    >
    >> For various reasons, I need to be able to access my computer (and unc
    >> shares) from two different domains.
    >>
    >> For example, my computer is computername.mydomain.com (mydomain.com is
    >> our
    >> internal domain where my username and password are controlled by the
    >> Windows2003 Server domain controller). I also need to be able to get to
    >> it
    >> through computerdoman.otherdomain.com (otherdomain is what our servers
    >> are
    >> known as to the outside world: there is no real domain called
    >> otherdomain.com, it's just aliased through the domain controller).
    >>
    >> My problem: when I try to access \\computername.otherdomain.com\wwwroot$
    >> from the computername computer, it does not work. I get an error that
    >> says:
    >> "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.". The weird thing is
    >> that I can go to \\computername.otherdomain.com\wwwroot$ from ANY OTHER
    >> computer on the network with no problem. Just won't work from the same
    >> machine. Oh, I can get to \\computername.mydomain.com\wwwroot$ without
    >> trouble.
    >>
    >> computername.mydomain.com is a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine with all the
    >> latest security updates and patches applied.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >> TIA,
    >> Owen

    You might want to try to just get to the root dir. like this
    NET USE J: \\computername.otherdomain.com\
    then see if you can get to the folder you want als check the permissions on
    the folder because sometimes the dos prompt wont let you accedd a folder with
    $ on it because it is a hidden share also make sure both domains have sharing
    across domain ie if you have 2 domains and they have to be setup for 2 way
    communication between domains ( I forgot what it is called talk to the domain
    admin ) some times the admin will only allow one way sharing and not both
    ways ie soft.com/newyork and soft.com/cali have 2 seperate domaincontrolers
    my can talk to cali but cali can not talk to ny even though there in the same
    domain forest but there seperate trees and normaly only one way communication
    is setup. I has been awhile since i have done domain admin work but i'll look
    thru some of my old stuff to see if i can find anything about this

Computers Windows XP