$2,500 on a gaming computer

AngleX

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003
Hey guys. I am looking at purchasing a brand new gaming computer. I am looking to spend about 2,500 (without a monitor). I was looking at AMD 64 FX, Radon 9800 XT, and 1 gig of ram. Some sites I was looking at are:

his is what I am looking at right now:

http://www.ibuypower.com/confirm/configurator-gamer-fx.htm
-------------------------------------------------
BOARD: [Athlon-64-FX] ASUS SK8N nForce-3 Chipset w/USB 2.0, LAN, 5.1 AUDIO, FireWire-1394 8X AGP
CABLE: ----- OPTIONAL -----
CAMERA: ----- OPTIONAL -----
CARD_MEDIA: [FREE!!!] INTERNAL 6-IN-1 FLASH MEDIA CARD READER/WRITER
CARD_MEDIA_COLOR: SILVER COLOR
CAS: RAIDMAX 8-BAY ALUMINUM TOWER CASE + 420 WATT POWER + WINDOW (+ 99)
CASCOLOR: BLACK COLOR
CAS_1: <font color=blue> SOUND ACTIVED NEON LIGHT
CAS_2: [SPECIAL !!!] UPGRADE TO 420 WATT POWER SUPPLY (+ 19)
CAS_3: ----- OPTIONAL -----
CAS_3_COLOR: SILVER COLOR
CAS_4: ----- OPTIONAL -----
CAS_4_COLOR: SILVER COLOR
CD: 16X DVD-ROM
CDCOLOR: SILVER COLOR
CDRW: 52x24x52 CD-RW DRIVE
CDRWCOLOR: SILVER COLOR
CPU: [Athlon-64-FX] AMD ATHLON-64 FX-51 CPU w/ HYPER TRANSPORT TECHNOLOGY (+ 1699)
EAR: ----- OPTIONAL -----
FAN: Thermaltake CoolMod Color LED Light CPU Fan and Heatsink (+ 29)
FDD: MITSUMI 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE
FDDCOLOR: SILVER COLOR
HDD: 120 GB 7200 RPM ULTRA ATA-100 HARD DRIVE
HDD2: ----- OPTIONAL -----
IDE: ----- OPTIONAL -----
IEEE1394: ----- OPTIONAL -----
KB: [SILVER] COMBO: MULTI-MEDIA / INTERNET KEYBOARD + INTERNET MOUSE
MEMORY: [Athlon-64-FX] 1024MB [512MB x2] DUAL CHANNEL DDR-400 REGISTERED PC3200 MEMORY (+ 186)
MODEM: ----- OPTIONAL -----
MONITOR: ----- OPTIONAL -----
MONITOR_LCD: ----- OPTIONAL -----
MOUSE: ----- OPTIONAL -----
NETWORK: 10/100 NETWORK LAN ONBOARD
NETWORK_1: ----- OPTIONAL -----
NETWORK_2: NETGEAR 802.11B 11MBPS USB ADAPTER MA101 (+ 59)
PNT: ----- OPTIONAL -----
PNT_CABLE: ----- OPTIONAL -----
RAID: ----- OPTIONAL -----
RAID2: ----- OPTIONAL -----
RUSH: NO, SHIP OUT IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SCANNER: ----- OPTIONAL -----
SOFT1: ----- OPTIONAL -----
SOFT2: ----- OPTIONAL -----
SOFT3: ----- OPTIONAL -----
SOUND: 3D WAVE STEREO SOUND ONBOARD
SPEAKER: <font color=black> LOGITECH Z-640 5.1 SURROUND SPEAKERS + SUBWOOFER
Submit: Add to Cart
Subtotal: 2350.00
Subtotal1: 2350.00
TV_TUNER: ----- OPTIONAL -----
USB: STANDARD 2x USB 2.0 PORTS
VIDEO: [New !!!] ** 8X AGP ** ATI RADEON 9800-XT 256MB W/ DVI + TV OUT (+ 259)
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS FREE 1 YEAR iCARE DELUXE ONSITE SERVICE
ZIP: ----- OPTIONAL -----
ZIPCOLOR: SILVER COLOR
----------------------------------------------------

That is a total of only: 2350.00 (for top of the line AMD 64 FX, Radon 9800 XT, Surround Sound, 1 meg of DDR 400 Ram.....
------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you think :)

Should I got with AMD FX? P4EE? P4 3.2?

I am going to be using the computer for all types of gaming, and top end gaming (Doom3, HL2,). I like to play with max options when possible.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
I'd go with an Athlon 64 (non FX) configurator instead, such as the one found at <A HREF="http://www.abspc.com/gamezone/index.html#" target="_new">AbsPC</A>. I am able to build a very impressive system there for a price within the said budget:

Antec Performance Plusview LE (Limited Edition) With Side Panel Window and Free Case Harness

Logitech Z-680 5.1 Metallic Silver 500 Watts THX Certified w/ Dolby Digital

Thermaltake Green Cold Cathode Light | Voice Controlled | Lights inside case w/ cool green glow

Cooler Master Neon LED Fan - (Green) 4 pieces

Antec 450 Watt Power Supply w/ Two Fans

Gigabyte GA-K8NPRO for AMD 64-bit Processor

Sapphire Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, OEM/Tray Version, No Heat Sink & Fan

CoolerMaster SK8-7I53A Heat Sink & Fan for AMD Athlon 64/FX-51

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 1GB(2 x 512M)

18-Inch, SATA ( SERIAL ATA 150 ) Cable. 2-Head. ( GREEN Color ). 2 pieces

Seagate Barracuda 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA (ATA150) 2 pieces

ltra ATA-133 IDE 18" 3H Round Cable Transparent GREEN RTL

Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM (48x CD-ROM) Drive - (Black)

Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive - (Black)

Mitsumi 1.44 MB Floppy Drive - Black

Floppy 12" Round Cable Transparent GREEN RTL

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Plantronics Audio 60 Stereo PC Headset with In-Line Volume and Mute Control

Logitech Cordless MX Duo includes MX700 Optical Mouse

ABS Mouse Pad 8" x 9" x 6" (Blue Design)

Microsoft Windows XP Home with Service Pack 1a

Microsoft Works 7.0

McAfee VirusScan Version 8.0 with One Year of Updates - OEM

2Net 1 Year 24/7 Tech Support & Onsite Service

Price with Option(s): $2401.25

But, you're welcome to choose as alternate vendor and/or configuration.

I like to play with max options when possible.
Max options available for the above config, no doubt!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Why not get a DVD burner? Money seems to be no problem to you. You can get a Plextor 8x dual format DVD recorder instead of CD-RW

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
Hey! I remember you! Don't you owe me some money from a couple of years ago? It's been a while, but I think you wanted to buy a new gefore 3 or something......Anyway's, send some of that money over here and pay up.

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue

G

The Athlon 64 3400+ is about to be released (if not already). It should be about as fast as the FX, have a better upgrade path and will be cheaper (and with cheaper memory). That's what I would look at if I had money to burn and a few weeks to wait. If not, I'm sure you'll be happy with the FX.

Two minor comments; why not get a SATA HD instead of a ATA100 ? And I would also vote for a DVD+-RW. If this doesnt fit in the budget, get a slightly cheaper non-XT videocard or go from the FX to a A64. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the ability to burn DVD's much more than a few unnoticeable percent of performance.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

AngleX

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003
I do plan to OC the computer. After doing some searching I decided that it would be cheaper, more fun, and I would get better preformance if I built it myself. I am trying to have the computer finished before the end of this year. What would you guys suggest I go with for best gaming preformance under 2,500.

kennystl

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
DO NOT purchase from IBUYPOWER. Very bad business practices. At least that was my opinion of them. Personally, I speak english, and that seems to be a huge problem with them. Secondly, unless you live way out, you probably have a mom and pop PC shop near you. Search all of these options first. Would almost guarantee you get as good a deal, maybe better, then anywhere else. Plus it's always nice to be close to purchase place. They will respond much better if you have problems. Just make sure you don't purchase from a large chain store.

Now for the 64 bit question, I am sure the Athalons are perfectly fine, but no 64 bit operating system to take advantage of this. So if you want to buy for high end now, go with the P4 3.2 If you want to buy for the future, buy lower end motherboard that supports 800fsb, and lowest cost 800 fsb processor, high end everything else, and save the left over money for the future. Intel should have something out in plenty of time for 64 bit OS. Mom and Pop will gladly change your motherboard and processor for you then. And sometimes (like my situation) Mom and Pop will do this work for free.

Hope this helped

No Overclocking Required.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If you want to overclock, then A64-FX may be a better choice over A64 3200+, because it comes with unlocked multiplier. I think you should get a decent R9800 PRO 128 MB instead of R9800 XT. You're won't notice the difference.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

G

>Now for the 64 bit question, I am sure the Athalons are
>perfectly fine, but no 64 bit operating system to take
>advantage of this. So if you want to buy for high end now,
>go with the P4 3.2

This just makes <b>zero</b> sense. If you don't think he'll need/want to run 64 bit apps under a 64 bit OS, well then let him run 32 bit XP on his A64. Its not like those chips don't work in 32 bit mode.. why would he need a P4 for that ? doh..

>f you want to buy for the future, buy lower end motherboard
>that supports 800fsb, and lowest cost 800 fsb processor,
>high end everything else, and save the left over money for
>the future. Intel should have something out in plenty of
>time for 64 bit OS

Again, 0/10 for logic. If he wants to spend $2500 on a computer to be ready for "the 64 bit future", why the hell NOT get a Athlon 64/FX ? Since even prescott will move to socket 775 and 1066 FSB, its more than unlikely any possible future 64 bit x86 core from intel will work on his MB.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

AngleX

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003
Well right now I plan on building the computer myself. The AMD FX blows away the P4 3.2ghz (gaming wise) even in the 32 bit processing. Intel has an Extreme Edition chip that was a little more expensive then the AMD but preformed just a tad bit better (but AMD beat it in some gaming).