Sign in with
Your question

Monitor doesn't get signal when starting up.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 2, 2010 10:18:57 PM

Hi everyone,
my problem is that 3-years old computer worked just fine for 3 years, but suddenly when I changed my mouse for another, older one (USB->PS2) one of those low budget ones, you know the type, just needed to work (the mouse worked when I connected it earlier), poof! My computer now starts up normally, fans are working and Windows is starting up, but my monitor doesn't get the signal, it gave a beep sound earlier, and now it doesn't. Could you possibly tell what is the problem or what should I do?

I do not know whether the problem is connected with the mouse change, but I thought I should mention it.

My computer specification is:
Powercolor ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256 MB VRAM
2x1 GB Kingston 667MHz DDR2
Intel Core2Duo E2160 (no OC)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Amacrox Warrior 450W
November 3, 2010 6:08:15 PM

Have you installed the driver first? and check the bios for your legacy support, are you still using a USB mouse without the PS2 adapter now? Have you tried connecting the old mouse back?

If you are using new USB mouse, try not to use the PS2 adapter and set the USB with legacy support on the bios. But before you do that, make sure you install the driver for the new mouse.
November 3, 2010 9:39:17 PM

It seems a little complicated as I explained it, so there are or were two mice. I was using a new, Logitech, USB one, but I lost it and now I was forced to connect an earlier device from my old computer (the one using the PS2 port itself, not the PS2 adapter :)  ), anyway thanks for trying to help. :p 
I am currently trying to borrow USB one from a friend, but I have to meet him first, so I can only tell, that I will post when I will try it. :??: 

No, I didn't, I thought that Windows 7 has some of the drivers for popular/old devices integrated. I doubt if the producer supports the mouse anymore, mouse is older than the computer itself, probably something like 5 or 7 years old, but it worked when I used it earlier with the same (Windows 7 based) configuration.

I am currently writing from my parents' notebook, so it would be hard to get into the mentioned computer's BIOS without seeing what option do I choose. :??: 
Related resources
November 3, 2010 10:54:17 PM

Setting the bios for legacy support means it will support your PS2 and your USB controller and during boot up. Also, if you install the logitech driver with the CD, remove the mouce driver if you're not using it.

Since you are using the PS2 as your main I/O device, you need to set it up in the bios too, that is may be why the computer is not booting up properly?
November 4, 2010 9:33:03 PM

That seems to be a quite interesting situation. :) 

As I understand it, I have to get to BIOS, but in order to see what am I doing in BIOS, I have to get my monitor to work, so I suppose using the USB mouse should help, and while the computer and the monitor are working properly I should change those settings.

Therefore, I thank you for your help and I will post when I will be able to get an USB mouse, of course about the results of those actions.
November 5, 2010 2:38:30 AM

Have you tried booting the computer without the mouse?
!