Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,

When I listen music I connect my home cinema system (harman kardon avr139) to my laptop.
The cable I use is an RCA -> 3.5mm Jack. So the signal is analog. I was wondering whether I can get a great improvement in sound quality by using a PCmcia sound card. (And digital sound out?)

My soundcard:

Audio:
HDA Intel PCH(HDA Intel ALSA hardware specific Device)

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

eric8705

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
i think this is a running discussion in all general audio industry.
analog vs digital.

you will definitely get a different quality out of analog signal compared to digital audio signal. people say analog sounds more warm, as opposed to digital sounding more crisp.

but people will also say that you cant get anymore true sound than from an analog signal... but idk

but if you have a digital audio device, you can use dsp to "fix" things up too, rather than having to run it through all these effects.

honestly, when it comes to analog and digital, its all a matter of preference at the end.

i mean, if that PCmcia overall generates a higher sounding quality than your analog device, then digital might be the way to go?

its your preference. i like digital, if that helps lol

G

Thanks for your comment, but I've got an question:
The ripped cd's on my laptop are digital. So if the laptop converts that digital sound to analog you will not get a better signal (or am I wrong?). You will even lose some of it's quality because the amplifier can't check whether or not the function of the anlog sound input has changed (because of noise for example).

G

Thanks, but what do you mean with the high end source?

The ripped cd's or my laptop's sound card?

Status
Not open for further replies.