To use Athlon64 or not

hey guys

awsome boards just wondering if you could help me

i run my own computer repair business so i get my parts wholesale so i do not pay as much;-)

i am thuinking about getting a athlon64 based computer with dual 1gig ram.

the only thing i will be using this computer for is converting avi to svcd/dvd using TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 (this is just a basic encoding program)

my question is do i really need to get a athlon64 or would i be better off with a athlonxp. i will not buy i pentium so don't mention those please.

and also i never really understand what is needed to convert avi/divx to svcd/dvd. do i need a good video card and lots of ram or not.
10 answers Last reply
More about athlon64
  1. Use Athlon 64, if you can get one

----------------
    <b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>
  2. yeah but this is not gonna be a computer i use as my personal computer this one will just sit in a closet coverting movies. i saw a couple benchmarks but they didn't help me much i was wondering if it makes a big difference to use the athlon64 to convert
  3. What wouldn't you want a P4? They outperform any AMD in encoding.
  4. im a amd fan i always have been and always will. and my contract with the suppliers are for amd and not pentium so i have to pay full prce for pentium and only 60% of the price for amd
  5. >im a amd fan i always have been and always will. and my
    >contract with the suppliers are for amd and not pentium so
    >i have to pay full prce for pentium and only 60% of the
    >price for amd

Well that second reason makes sense, otherwise I'd also recommend a P4. Anyway, converting divx->svcd doesnt require a lot of ram, nor a good videocard. All you need is a fast cpu and lots of patience.

Also, don't expect miracles.. I've converted a few Divx movies to SVCD, and the result is dissapointing IMHO. If you rip from DVD to SVCD, its quite okay, but once you have a DivX/Xvid whatever file, reencoding it to MPG2 (svcd) really ruins it. Why not invest in a DivX capable home DVD player instead ? Costs less, doesnt require tedious long conversion, and the quality is far superior. It also lets you get 1 movie with decent quality on a single CD (2 CD's for near DVD quality) unlike SVCD where you really need 3+ CD's per movie to be somewhat acceptable

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
  6. The a64 3200 will convert about 8% more than the xp3200 and about 25% more than an xp2500. (over a given time span) Once the a64 is available in dual channel, you could expect a further 10% gain, with a program optomized for the extra registers even more. If you need 8% now, ok but better to wait for a dual channel a64 mobo. As far as ram goes, yes it is very important to video encoding.
  7. ive been encoding for a couple of years using a pentium 800
    (bought before i started my buisness)i know how to awsome encoding where the quality is better that it originally was. i use home made filters and enhancers to make unbelievable movies. i want to upgrade cause i want to use mpeg4 cause i played with it and i got 1 hour of video where i could not find a single problem with.

p.s. with my encoding experience i even make all my final product dloby 5.1 surround sound and widescreen and there are never any problems

second p.s. even with mpeg2 you can make the cd's have 5.1 surround sound and i have them where you will think it was a dvd. mine even have menues like a dvd
  8. Quote:
    im a amd fan i always have been and always will.

LMAO!! That made me crack up. :lol:
  9. ha ha ha i like my amd cause of the things i use it for im not saying i don't use pentiums. im ny house i have 4 petiums and only 1 amd based system and my amd has Never had a problem expessially when i overclock but my pentiums do get problems. i know amd are not as powerful as pentiums but in my opinion they are more realiable and alot cheaper.
  10. >i know how to awsome encoding where the quality is better
    >that it originally was.

BS.. Every time you re-encode you loose quality, its that simple. No "home made enhancers" can miraculously recreate information that was lost in the first compression run.

>With my encoding experience i even make all my final
    >product dloby 5.1 surround sound and widescreen

Wow, bravo.. impressive.. well, not really.
    Anyway, my point remains. You don't want to convert DivX/XviD/.. into SVCD if you don't have to. You'll be much better off playing the the Xvid's as they are, so get a divx capable player. If you are working from DVD's, ripping to SVCD is a more viable option, but it still limits your resolution and eats up CD's, especially when you add a 5.1 track.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer