No DVD decoder with new note book

My friend bought me a Presario B2000 in HK. The first thing I tried out when
I set it up was the DVD player. I was surprised to find that it doesn't work
untill I purchase DVD decoder software.
I looked in "trouble shooting" etc. Windows Media Player needs an add on etc
John

Give this a try, download WinDVD from HP support site.
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/locate/20_1006.html#36
It does come with software decoder. I don't know the installatin software
recognize any particular model of the computer. Mine is an old Armada e500.

"John H" <john@rhubarb.org> wrote in message
> My friend bought me a Presario B2000 in HK. The first thing I tried out
> when
> I set it up was the DVD player. I was surprised to find that it doesn't
> work
> untill I purchase DVD decoder software.
> I looked in "trouble shooting" etc. Windows Media Player needs an add on
> etc
> John

Here's the equivalent link for mine
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=412854&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228
I don't see a DVD Decoder.
John

"eh!" <eh@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Give this a try, download WinDVD from HP support site.
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/locate/20_1006.html#36
> It does come with software decoder. I don't know the installatin software
> recognize any particular model of the computer. Mine is an old Armada
e500.

> "John H" <john@rhubarb.org> wrote in message
> > My friend bought me a Presario B2000 in HK. The first thing I tried out
> > when
> > I set it up was the DVD player. I was surprised to find that it doesn't
> > work
> > untill I purchase DVD decoder software.
> > I looked in "trouble shooting" etc. Windows Media Player needs an add on
> > etc
> > John

Is it possible there is decoder in the laptop, but it is for a different
region?????

"John H" <JohnH@nospam.no.nz> wrote in message
> Here's the equivalent link for mine
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=412854&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228
> I don't see a DVD Decoder.
> John
>
> "eh!" <eh@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Give this a try, download WinDVD from HP support site.
>> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/locate/20_1006.html#36
>> It does come with software decoder. I don't know the installatin software
>> recognize any particular model of the computer. Mine is an old Armada
> e500.
>>

>> "John H" <john@rhubarb.org> wrote in message
>> > My friend bought me a Presario B2000 in HK. The first thing I tried out
>> > when
>> > I set it up was the DVD player. I was surprised to find that it doesn't
>> > work
>> > untill I purchase DVD decoder software.
>> > I looked in "trouble shooting" etc. Windows Media Player needs an add
>> > on
>> > etc
>> > John

Actually I found the WinDVD software in the Driver Recovery disk. I missed
it the first time. I reinstaled all the drivers and it works well now.
Thanks
John