April 8th: I need a laptop around $1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxter987

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Quick background: I used to game until my rig became obsolete (pent D, nivid 6800 gt circa 05?) and I just picked up other hobbies.. I yearn to be able to play hopefully new(er?) games at medium settings atleast.. I got a netbook 2 weeks ago for $400 and laughed at the power, I need a FULL sized LAPTOP. I explained this situation and my father agreed to throw about $600 my way for the cause, so I have about $1000 to spend. Not above $1100 (ain't ya ever heard of taxes?) but I definitely want some power that will last me a few years.

ANYWAYS:

1_What is your budget?
I want to spend atleast 900, no more than 1100..

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Previously I was thinking 17" for movies, but if that will make gameplay suffer,
I will be docking it at home hooked up to the LCD anyways. Let me know your opinions.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
I am hoping for 1366 x 768 since I am a sucker for HD, but how will that affect gaming performance versus visual appeal?

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement, but I don't have any heavy rendering tasks to complete or heavy working type, I want my laptop centered on being able to make me smile everytime I play.. without lag..

5_How much battery life do you need?
Irrelevant

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I want the best gaming performance that I can achieve for my budget.. )So, I would say High, but it will probably end up medium)

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Watching movies for sure, but I really want to be able to[strike] torrent [/strike] buy
new games and not worry if I can even run it.. which is the case with my grandpa of a Desktop.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Irrelevant, again. 300+ I hope which should be standard.. I don't need room for mass media storage, can always go external in the future.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
An HP would work because I can customize one through costco and get 90day return
policy + 2 year warrenty, but again, I just want the best gaming value for my buck. So I am still open to any other suggestions of brands or websites like newegg.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Well my last one was a Pentium D.. so atleast 3 years hopefully..

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I'd appreciate a normal dvd-rom/writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Nothing shady please...

13_What country do you live in?
US

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

So yeah, thanks for reading. I really want to be able to play newer games without having to be on the lowest settings, but I understand my budget is low for my interests. I used to like to think that I knew about buying computers, but there are so many slight differences between so many different models of each part and such, and I am lost at what would be the laptop for me? Someone talked gibberish to me about getting the right type of ram with a certain latency, but it went over my head.. Help? What processors/cards should I look to GET and to AVOID? What should be my primary focus? Etc..

I r newTech noob. ISO help.

Also, how effective is turbo boost? I don't care about power consumption since it's plugged into the wall, but how effective is it from personal experience?..

boxter987

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
So after some research I have narrowed it down a bit, but have a few questions still.

I have been looking at the: Core i5... 430M(2.26GHz) and the Core i7... 720QM(1.60GHz, which will turbo I think?) Which is preffered?

I really just have too many options and I don't want to mess up my purchase. I am concerned about the brand too:

I've heard Asus is too hot, and hp's have been freezing? I already have a hate of Vaio laptops, so what do I do? Dell studio or xps, or maybe toshiba? Hellllp.

jakeman81

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I replied to my thread with that nice laptop I found. I'm going to be buying that one.

With any company there are going to be problems, so I wouldn't worry that Asus is too hot or HP's have been freezing. That is a potential problem for ANY brand of laptop.

If I were you I'd go with the core i5. But again that laptop I found was like hidden treasure. Very low price for one of the top laptop gfx cards there is, and other good perks too!

boxter987

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

I understand that 4 cores vs 2 cores difference is dependent upon the game..

How many games currently/are coming out with/will probably even take advantage of the 4 cores? I know some do, but how many...

I will order it through costco w/ 2 year warrenty and 90 day return policy.. not too worried about the freezing issue either anymore.

So, I am thinking now that I am interested in:

16" screen (1366x768)
Core i5 Most Likely
4gig Ram
300+ gig HD
This + what gfx card, is the question.. I want a nice one [as far as laptops go] but
again, my limit is around 1k.. we will see after suggestions, thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS