I can't execute in CMd any prog'

I can't execute any prog' like PING or IPCONFIg or even HELP etc.
How can iI fix that ??? (it does perform cls and exit) or re-register those
external commands??? ex:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Itay>ipconfig
'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."
--
:|||***Klingon INC***|||:

"Today is a good day to die"
6 answers Last reply
More about execute prog

    ???? wrote:
    > I can't execute any prog' like PING or IPCONFIg or even HELP etc.
    > How can iI fix that ??? (it does perform cls and exit) or re-register
    > those external commands??? ex:
    >
    > "C:\Documents and Settings\Itay>ipconfig
    > 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    > operable program or batch file."

    Sound like your path is messed up.. Let's verify..

    Open a CMD prompt.

    First try simple commands:

    SET
    <ENTER>

    DIR
    <ENTER>

    Then Type this in:
    %SystemRoot%\system32\ping.exe
    <ENTER>

    Whether or not that works, then try this:

    CD %SystemRoot%
    <ENTER>

    CD System32
    <ENTER>

    PING
    <ENTER>

    If those work - come back and let us know - then maybe we can fix your
    pathing.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    From: "????" <@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I can't execute any prog' like PING or IPCONFIg or even HELP etc.
    | How can iI fix that ??? (it does perform cls and exit) or re-register those
    | external commands??? ex:
    |
    | "C:\Documents and Settings\Itay>ipconfig
    | 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    | operable program or batch file."
    | --
    | :|||***Klingon INC***|||:
    |
    | "Today is a good day to die"

    If it can't find IPCONFIG.EXE and it exists on the system then there is a problem with the
    OS 'path'.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    OK, I tried to do what you've been asking me to do and it all passes...
    by te way, when I wrote PATH in cmd it shows me :
    PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;..., so the system and system32 are
    registeredin the "Path file".
    --
    :|||***Klingon INC***|||:

    "Today is a good day to die"

    =?Utf-8?B?15DXmdeq15k=?= <?@?.?.invalid> wrote on Sat, 3 Sep 2005:

    >OK, I tried to do what you've been asking me to do and it all passes...
    >by te way, when I wrote PATH in cmd it shows me :
    >PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;..., so the system and system32 are
    >registeredin the "Path file".

    Hi

    If your Path in the Command window is showing unexpanded variables like
    %SystemRoot% instead of C:\Windows, it sounds like some program has
    tried to update the Path setting in the Registry and made a mess of it.

    Open Regedit (Start > Run, type Regedit <OK>) and go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
    Look for the Path value in the right-hand pane; what does it say in the
    "Type" column? It should be REG_EXPAND_SZ. If it says REG_SZ instead,
    that's the problem and you need to change it.

    If you're not happy editing the Registry, there's a small utility called
    Fixpath.exe that should do it for you. Download Fixpath2.zip from:
    http://internet.cybermesa.com/ ~bstewart/misctools.html
    (thanks to MVP Torgeir Bakken for the link.)

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Nightowl

    Nightowl <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote on Sat, 3 Sep 2005:

    >If you're not happy editing the Registry, there's a small utility called
    >Fixpath.exe that should do it for you.

    Apologies, I somehow got an extra space into that URL. It should read:

    http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html

    --
    Nightowl

    thanks both of you... ;)
    --
    :|||***Klingon INC***|||:

    "Today is a good day to die"

    "Nightowl" wrote:

    > Nightowl <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote on Sat, 3 Sep 2005:
    >
    > >If you're not happy editing the Registry, there's a small utility called
    > >Fixpath.exe that should do it for you.
    >
    > Apologies, I somehow got an extra space into that URL. It should read:
    >
    > http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html
    >
    > --
    > Nightowl

ipconfig Command Prompt Microsoft Windows XP