Another SuperComputer....

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
Another Supercomputer is going up. Made up of alot of .<A HREF="http://news.com.com/2100-1001_3-5107682.html?tag=nefd_top" target="_new"> Itanuims </A>. I'm sure this will spank that G5 cluster that G5 keeps yapping about....

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue

kevbo

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2003
Whoa, it says it's supposed to be completed in December! I'm assuming that's THIS December. That big mac thing was just officially ranked #3 super computer, so this'll knock it down to #4 pretty soon seeing as the itanium one is supposed to be #2.

eden

Champion
Interestingly, Itaniums don't really cost THAT much more than Mac systems if you choose low end ones. If they used the low voltage ones, which cost below 1000$ IIRC, they do stand to build a system near the G5's cost, and make a supercomputer that in FP could literally destroy competition. I'm still surprised that for 5.2 million, they could've made Dual Opteron systems that ran leaps better, and it probably would've costed less.

Oh well, I guess a win for Apple ain't that bad nowadays. Lord knows you feed the zealots more easily.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

Ignorance is bliss...

Or is it?

:tongue:

AMD CPUs are just as reliable as the overpriced junk you get from Apple.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

eden

Champion
Um what about China's order of AMDs for school?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
In anything reliable?!?!?! WHAT THE [-peep-] ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? HAVE YOU EVER USED AN AMD OR APPLE SYSTEM??? I had the chance this past weekend compare a dualie Opteron vs a dualie G5 in first person, in very intensive uses. Well, actually, I used a few dualie G5s and a few dualie G4s. Oh by the way this was a very serious academic setting, we had to make our first of four yearbook deadlines (1/4th of the book) in order to save 10000 grand or so on printing. It's interesting how when the G5 systems were pushed even a little, they crumpled under the pressure. All three crashed over 10 times each in that 48 hour span. The 5 G4s each crashed about 10-15 times. Our lowly (budget-wise, at least) dualie Opteron didn't crash AT ALL and was a hell of a lot faster in every definition of the word for the photoshop work we had to do. Oh yeah, and it could open 100 some-odd pages in InDesign at once and still go on it's merry way working; the dualie G5s simply could not maintain stability or speed above 15 pages being opened; the G4s were actually quite good in this case, running an amazing 40ish pages at once and still being able to do anything else.

All machines were equipped with 2GB RAM and ATi 9600Pros, pretty clean installs of OSs (2000 and 10.2.8 [the Opteron system actually had Norton Systemworks and Internet Security running because it was out of the protection of the school's firewall]), and 2048x1536 resolution. I actually remember the head editor saying: "Eric, can you please let me use the PC, I'm getting sick of these G5s." I burned a CD to bring to the network, 600MB, 2Min 13Sec. When I burned a 594MB CD on a G5, nearly double the time: 3:47. At that point I got really fed up and went to my room to do my share of the work.

My machine (2.66 P4B, 1GB PC1066 RDRAM) ran nicely with about 60-70 pages opened, depending on the content of the pages. It also burned a 650MB CD in 2:21 and did not crash at all. Oh yeah, I run a ton of background proggies (mainly skinning and hardware monitoring) on my workstation partition. Of course, when I opened all those pages (I don't actually work like that, I just wanted to test it), I couldn't do too much else, except listen to some music, unlike on the dualies where I could continue to do other things (except on the g5s, they seemed to have an inherent problem with multitasking) even when they were maxed out.

Anyway, back to my original point: AMDs are reliable and can be supremely trusted in a serious academic environment. In my testing, I also discovered that G5s are not to be trusted when multitasking and G4s lack alacrity all around.

BTW, a dual 1GHz G4 system died on us (potentially motherboard or PSU, IT is too stupid to figure it out) and they are thinking of trashing it. I offered to take it for free but they weren't too keen on that so I said I'd potentially pay a small bit of money for it, so now they are trying to fix it (IT doesn't like me at all and will do anything to avoid being nice to me, probably because I call them stupid all the time), but chances are slim that they will fix it (they are THAT stupid). Anyway, there is currently an outside chance that I may get my hands on a decent G4 system for pennies essentially. If I do, that would be so cool, I could finally have the e-pussy I've always wanted (mine is all dry, unshaven and stinky; stupid case fans don't work too well so I have to keep my case opened, which is mad ugly especially since I have an ugly case already)! Oh yeah, it would help in my skinning a lot (i've been trying to get my PC too look as much like Panther as I can for a few months now). Or I could show it off and become a Mac fanatic for no aparent reason like the rest of them. Or I could just sell it and make ludacrous profit off of it (just like Apple does when the systems are all new and shiny). Or I could ignore it and bring up the point that I have a modestly priced P4 system being used instead of a high-priced G4 system. The ways to use a G4 are endless, too bad they are all pointless beyond the point of the purpose of improving my e-pussy.

Damn Rambus.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The AMD systems have higher usage then Apple. With sun building large numbers of opteron servers and with the dalco supercomputers all based on opterons.

And besides the G5 is only an apple thing when in a tinbox or plastic pod. otherwise isn't it an IBM ppc970?

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

eden

Champion
If Silvr_Phoenix were there, he'd hug you. He's looking for someone else out there who could share his opinion on how the G5 "by Apple" is truly a misinformed statement and that they don't deserve the recognition for it, when IBM actually did it.

--

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Its true though. All the apple guys forget how little of apple is left in apple computers. The only thing that is apple nowadays is Aqua (since nextstep was a Jobbs thing aswell), and the computer design.

Everything else has been changed to things applites have claimed are inferior to their technology. Applites but not apple mind you. Apple have been cannibals right from the start.

(The only proof of the last statement I have is Pirates of the silicon valey) :p

<b><font color=red>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."</font color=red><font color=blue> - Benjamin Franklin</font color=blue></b>

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
hey thanks for that review of you weekend there...

as for that G4... this was that artical i read Just before i read yours

PowerMac arena will be pleased to know that new single and dual PowerPC 7457-based G4 upgrades from third party developers -- notably the new crop of fanless 1GHz 7457 upgrades for Cube owners in addition to the new Dual 1.2 and 1.4GHz 7457 upgrades available from <A HREF="http://www.powerlogix.com/" target="_new">PowerLogix</A> -- are starting to flow into the distribution channels and out to consumers. The reviews so far have been excellent.

In many cases, as prices begin to fall on 7457-based upgrades, their performance benefits, lower operating temperatures, and reduced power consumption will make them a very attractive alternative to new PowerMacs -- even in some cases, offering better value for many tasks than a whole new G5.

The 7457 includes several architectural improvements along with shrinking is 7455-derived core to a 0.13 micron process -- notably the addition of 512K of on-chip L2 cache (twice as much as previous G4s) running at full processor speed in addition to improved on-chip data transport which allows for better bandwidth utilization of cache and main memories. Overall, in the average PowerMac G4 capable of accepting dual processor upgrades (100 or 133MHz memory and dual-capable Northbridge) one of PowerLogix's new Dual 1.4GHz upgrades should be able to offer noticeably better performance on CPU-bound tasks than a brand new Dual 1.42GHz PowerMac G4 -- primarily thanks to the larger L2 caches.

<b>on the verge of catastohy (y1.999...k)</b>
ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Wow, a non-Apple vendor of Macs...and they changed the processor for enhanced performance. For an Apple-based system it doesn't look TOO bad. Especially since in my experience, G4s perform better.

I must say that after using the Opteron system in direct comparison to the G#s, I am even more a believer in the PC community. Heck, even my computer stood it's ground, only suffering with the lack of a second processor or HT. I'm pretty sure that the Opteron could have performed better if it had any sort of pagefile (mine had 768MB + 1GB RAM). As for the G5s, something must have been wrong, seeing as their predecessor (G4) clearly outperformed them. I'll try running some other intensive programs to see if the G4s hold their ground in more areas.

As for that G4 system that died, IT managed to fix it supposedly--it only crashes once every two hours now. Looks like I won't be getting my free Mac afterall. :frown:

Damn Rambus.

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
Yea there had to be something seriously wrong with the G5s.. that just doen't make an snece...

its too bad the IT guys there THINK they fixed the G4...Tards, 'yea it works for a whole 2 hours stiaght now, np'...they call that fixed...they need a swift boot in the head.

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Yeah, IT probably did something to the G5s ahead of time. Either way, it looks like the school wasted A LOT of money on those subpar (I doubt that most G5s are, but those are only ones I've sampled comparitively to a PC or G4) machines. They were fast, but they had major problems multitasking. Maybe an upgrade to Panther would help (although it just seems more pointless than a Windows Service Pack).

As for the G4 system...it now goes about 3 hours of no/light use w/o crashing and 30ish min of heavy use. Maybe a PSU problem??

Damn Rambus.

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
yea sounds like over heating...

as for "(although it just seems more pointless than a Windows Service Pack)"

No man Panther realy is a HUGE change... it does fix MAny bugs...like a service pack does, but its like going from 98 to 2000 or 2000 to XP