How to remove icons in Cotrol panel?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program though!

This is for Windows XP Pro.

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
>How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
>though!
>
> This is for Windows XP Pro.

You have XP Pro, you do not need TweakUI. You can use the GPO editor.

To start Group Policy, start > run and type

gpedit.msc

Here you will find many policy restrictions that you can enforce on your
system.

--
William

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Tweak-UI for Windows XP has a "Control Panel" function/category
that allows you to disable specific icon(s).

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
>How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
>though!
>
> This is for Windows XP Pro.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Great! I shall install it. Is 3.1 the latest version?

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Tweak-UI for Windows XP has a "Control Panel" function/category
> that allows you to disable specific icon(s).
>
> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
>>How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
>>though!
>>
>> This is for Windows XP Pro.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

There are two distinct versions - 2.10.0.0 is the latest, but only
compatible for SP1+ releases of XP.
You can find the download on the Microsoft "Power Toys" site:

> Great! I shall install it. Is 3.1 the latest version?
>

> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Tweak-UI for Windows XP has a "Control Panel" function/category
>> that allows you to disable specific icon(s).
>>
>> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
>>>How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
>>>though!
>>>
>>> This is for Windows XP Pro.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I did. Thanks for the quick response.

It all works fine now.

Great help!
> There are two distinct versions - 2.10.0.0 is the latest, but only
> compatible for SP1+ releases of XP.
> You can find the download on the Microsoft "Power Toys" site:
>
> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Great! I shall install it. Is 3.1 the latest version?
>>

>> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> Tweak-UI for Windows XP has a "Control Panel" function/category
>>> that allows you to disable specific icon(s).
>>>
>>> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Now that is something I never knew.

I will try it and explore.

Thanks for the advice.

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
>>>How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
>>>though!
>>>
>>> This is for Windows XP Pro.
>>>

>> You have XP Pro, you do not need TweakUI. You can use the GPO editor.
>>
>> To start Group Policy, start > run and type
>>
>> gpedit.msc
>>
>> Here you will find many policy restrictions that you can enforce on your
>> system.
>>
> Now that is something I never knew.
>
> I will try it and explore.
>
> Thanks for the advice.