How to remove icons in Cotrol panel?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program though!

This is for Windows XP Pro.
7 answers Last reply
More about remove icons cotrol panel
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
    >How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
    >though!
    >
    > This is for Windows XP Pro.

    You have XP Pro, you do not need TweakUI. You can use the GPO editor.

    To start Group Policy, start > run and type

    gpedit.msc

    Here you will find many policy restrictions that you can enforce on your
    system.

    --
    William
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Tweak-UI for Windows XP has a "Control Panel" function/category
    that allows you to disable specific icon(s).

    "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
    >How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
    >though!
    >
    > This is for Windows XP Pro.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Great! I shall install it. Is 3.1 the latest version?

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Tweak-UI for Windows XP has a "Control Panel" function/category
    > that allows you to disable specific icon(s).
    >
    > "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
    >>How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
    >>though!
    >>
    >> This is for Windows XP Pro.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    There are two distinct versions - 2.10.0.0 is the latest, but only
    compatible for SP1+ releases of XP.
    You can find the download on the Microsoft "Power Toys" site:

    > Great! I shall install it. Is 3.1 the latest version?
    >

    > "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> Tweak-UI for Windows XP has a "Control Panel" function/category
    >> that allows you to disable specific icon(s).
    >>
    >> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
    >>>How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
    >>>though!
    >>>
    >>> This is for Windows XP Pro.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I did. Thanks for the quick response.

    It all works fine now.

    Great help!
    > There are two distinct versions - 2.10.0.0 is the latest, but only
    > compatible for SP1+ releases of XP.
    > You can find the download on the Microsoft "Power Toys" site:
    >
    > "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Great! I shall install it. Is 3.1 the latest version?
    >>

    >> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>> Tweak-UI for Windows XP has a "Control Panel" function/category
    >>> that allows you to disable specific icon(s).
    >>>
    >>> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Now that is something I never knew.

    I will try it and explore.

    Thanks for the advice.

    "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
    >>How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
    >>though!
    >>
    >> This is for Windows XP Pro.
    >>

    > You have XP Pro, you do not need TweakUI. You can use the GPO editor.
    >
    > To start Group Policy, start > run and type
    >
    > gpedit.msc
    >
    > Here you will find many policy restrictions that you can enforce on your
    > system.
    >
    > --
    > William

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    > "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have a number of icons that I do not want or need in the control panel.
    >>>How do I remove them? I do not want to remove the associated program
    >>>though!
    >>>
    >>> This is for Windows XP Pro.
    >>>

    >> You have XP Pro, you do not need TweakUI. You can use the GPO editor.
    >>
    >> To start Group Policy, start > run and type
    >>
    >> gpedit.msc
    >>
    >> Here you will find many policy restrictions that you can enforce on your
    >> system.
    >>
    > Now that is something I never knew.
    >
    > I will try it and explore.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice.