I am working on a machine where the machine boots up fine. I log into
XP Pro SP2 and it starts to load but never finishes. I have a
wallpaper but icons and no taskbar. The only I can open the task
manager and try to start the explorer.exe process, but it never starts.
It does the same thing in safe mode. I have cleaned some trojans,
spyware and a ton of adaware by slaving the HDD and ran a defrag. I
performed a CHKDSK /r using BARTS's PE and it fixed a few errors. I
then ran a sfc /scannow. I updated all windows updates. I ran a
repair on XP. I checked the startup and found nothing suspious. When
I go into the add remove programs it locks up the PC. Can anybody help
me out on this?

Okay, I will give that a shot and post tuesday to let you know how that
goes. I have gone into explorer and renamed it from administrator to
administrator.bak. It created a new one with the same results. I have
never done it the way microsoft says.

Hi brican,

The user profile is probably corrupt. The easiest way to resolve this is to
create a new one for yourself, then copy the old data into it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the
destination profile you must log into it once first to create the necessary
file structure before you do the copy procedure.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone