600 YGR locking

My info:

My details.
Win XP Pro SP 1
Gateway 600 YGR 1.6 GHz Pentium IV Laptop
512 MB RAM
15.7" screen

The computer locks up absolutely. It is not a matter of a particular
app freezing. It seems to happen most when I'm doing general windows
navigation... opening apps, copying files from one folder to another.

I should have added that when it locks, there is no response from
anything, keyboard or mouse....only "solution" is to turn off the
machine.

I'm thinking keyboard or touchpad (synaptics TouchPad V5.9.)

I've reloaded windows, two, three, four times, no dice.
Run all of the scandisc,chkdisk, memory checks, etc.

Apps on my HD... nothing special. Word 2002. MS Office 2000. Adobe
Reader 5.0. Outlook Express 6; MSIE 6.0......

I have a Linksys wireless card, but the lockup happened before I got
it.

I thought it might be one memory chip, but I've tried one then the
other (what are the chances of having two bad ones?) and it locks up
the same with either or both in place.

This is probably the most basic question on this forum, but nothing
I've tried, including endless hours with Gateway tech support.... has
helped.

mouse /touchpad driver? keyboard driver? video/screen driver?

Here's the kicker. Gateway GAVE me this computer as compensation for
three years of hell with my Solo 9300 Laptop with Win 98... and the
replacement seems to be junk also.

thanks for all advice

Is there any possibility that either heat or excessive wattage could be the
problem? Are any of the vents clogged with dust and dirt, such that the
computer does not get adequate ventilation? Try running the system with 256MB
of memory. Could be the power is insufficient to run with 512MB. Shouldn't be
that way, but...

Barring those suggestions actually helping to resolve the problem, I have to
agree "the replacement seems to be junk also." Any remaining warranty on it?

Get an IBM ThinkPad. Excellent sturdy computers. A little pricey? Perhaps.
Inelegant and lacking in features found in other computers? Perhaps, but only
if one really needs the features. Robust? Yep... Ben Myers

On 5 Aug 2004 11:57:48 -0700, pinkfloyd@iname.com (pinkfloyd) wrote:

>My info:
>
>My details.
>Win XP Pro SP 1
>Gateway 600 YGR 1.6 GHz Pentium IV Laptop
>512 MB RAM
>15.7" screen
>
>The computer locks up absolutely. It is not a matter of a particular
>app freezing. It seems to happen most when I'm doing general windows
>navigation... opening apps, copying files from one folder to another.
>
>I should have added that when it locks, there is no response from
>anything, keyboard or mouse....only "solution" is to turn off the
>machine.
>
>I'm thinking keyboard or touchpad (synaptics TouchPad V5.9.)
>
>I've reloaded windows, two, three, four times, no dice.
>Run all of the scandisc,chkdisk, memory checks, etc.
>
>Apps on my HD... nothing special. Word 2002. MS Office 2000. Adobe
>Reader 5.0. Outlook Express 6; MSIE 6.0......
>
>I have a Linksys wireless card, but the lockup happened before I got
>it.
>
>I thought it might be one memory chip, but I've tried one then the
>other (what are the chances of having two bad ones?) and it locks up
>the same with either or both in place.
>
>This is probably the most basic question on this forum, but nothing
>I've tried, including endless hours with Gateway tech support.... has
>helped.
>
>mouse /touchpad driver? keyboard driver? video/screen driver?
>
>Here's the kicker. Gateway GAVE me this computer as compensation for
>three years of hell with my Solo 9300 Laptop with Win 98... and the
>replacement seems to be junk also.
>
>thanks for all advice

Is Windows updated on all critical patches, with current antivirus, firewall
and antispyware software?
Anything in the event logs?

"pinkfloyd" <pinkfloyd@iname.com> wrote in message

> My info:
>
> My details.
> Win XP Pro SP 1
> Gateway 600 YGR 1.6 GHz Pentium IV Laptop
> 512 MB RAM
> 15.7" screen
>
> The computer locks up absolutely. It is not a matter of a particular
> app freezing. It seems to happen most when I'm doing general windows
> navigation... opening apps, copying files from one folder to another.
>
> I should have added that when it locks, there is no response from
> anything, keyboard or mouse....only "solution" is to turn off the
> machine.
>
> I'm thinking keyboard or touchpad (synaptics TouchPad V5.9.)
>
> I've reloaded windows, two, three, four times, no dice.
> Run all of the scandisc,chkdisk, memory checks, etc.
>
> Apps on my HD... nothing special. Word 2002. MS Office 2000. Adobe
> Reader 5.0. Outlook Express 6; MSIE 6.0......
>
> I have a Linksys wireless card, but the lockup happened before I got
> it.
>
> I thought it might be one memory chip, but I've tried one then the
> other (what are the chances of having two bad ones?) and it locks up
> the same with either or both in place.
>
> This is probably the most basic question on this forum, but nothing
> I've tried, including endless hours with Gateway tech support.... has
> helped.
>
> mouse /touchpad driver? keyboard driver? video/screen driver?
>
> Here's the kicker. Gateway GAVE me this computer as compensation for
> three years of hell with my Solo 9300 Laptop with Win 98... and the
> replacement seems to be junk also.
>
> thanks for all advice

I will agree that IBM ThinkPad support is top-notch, and a level above
Gateway, Dell, etc. - and on par with Apple.

The newer IBMs are decent machines but little different from anything you
get from Dell, Gateway, etc. - IBM has pretty much ceased building its own
notebooks, and the newer ones are made by the exact same companies that make
notebooks for everyone else.

IBM's major contract supplier is Wistron - care to guess which company is
one of Gateway's major suppliers?

Wistron.

> Get an IBM ThinkPad. Excellent sturdy computers. A little pricey?
Perhaps.
> Inelegant and lacking in features found in other computers? Perhaps, but
only
> if one really needs the features. Robust? Yep... Ben Myers

denman

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

My 600x continues to lock up as well. Pretty much has from day 1. 70%
of the time I get a BSOD with varying messages - the one from last
night was an error with win32k.sys. Other times everything just
freezes and I have to hold the power switch down for 4 seconds to
power it off.

I originally thought it was a heat issue but I've had it lock up
within minutes of power on.

Yesterday I upgraded the bios but it locked up about 2 hours later.

Here's a funny story - I was having problems upgrading the bios so I
did the live chat tech support...kind of just to humor myself. I let
the technician take control of my laptop. She formatted my floppy disk
and then tried to copy all of the unzipped bios files to the floppy.
She ran out of space. Then she zipped the entire folder up, which
created a 4mb file and proceeded to try and copy that to my floppy
disk. LOL Needless to say I pulled my network cable after that.

Anyway, I completed the upgrade but it still locks ups. Very
frustrating.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message news:<jywQc.223$FV3.143@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>...
> Is Windows updated on all critical patches, with current antivirus, firewall
> and antispyware software?
> Anything in the event logs?
>

> "pinkfloyd" <pinkfloyd@iname.com> wrote in message
> >
> > My info:
> >
> > My details.
> > Win XP Pro SP 1
> > Gateway 600 YGR 1.6 GHz Pentium IV Laptop
> > 512 MB RAM
> > 15.7" screen
> >
> > The computer locks up absolutely. It is not a matter of a particular
> > app freezing. It seems to happen most when I'm doing general windows
> > navigation... opening apps, copying files from one folder to another.
> >
> > I should have added that when it locks, there is no response from
> > anything, keyboard or mouse....only "solution" is to turn off the
> > machine.
> >
> > I'm thinking keyboard or touchpad (synaptics TouchPad V5.9.)
> >
> > I've reloaded windows, two, three, four times, no dice.
> > Run all of the scandisc,chkdisk, memory checks, etc.
> >
> > Apps on my HD... nothing special. Word 2002. MS Office 2000. Adobe
> > Reader 5.0. Outlook Express 6; MSIE 6.0......
> >
> > I have a Linksys wireless card, but the lockup happened before I got
> > it.
> >
> > I thought it might be one memory chip, but I've tried one then the
> > other (what are the chances of having two bad ones?) and it locks up
> > the same with either or both in place.
> >
> > This is probably the most basic question on this forum, but nothing
> > I've tried, including endless hours with Gateway tech support.... has
> > helped.
> >
> > mouse /touchpad driver? keyboard driver? video/screen driver?
> >
> > Here's the kicker. Gateway GAVE me this computer as compensation for
> > three years of hell with my Solo 9300 Laptop with Win 98... and the
> > replacement seems to be junk also.
> >
> > thanks for all advice

If you have 400, 450, or 600 series Gateway laptop computer and are
experiencing frequent lockups and random freezes while using your laptop
we have some good news for you. Our technicians have isolated the problem
and you will most likely not not have to replace your motherboard or CPU.
We can offer you this fix for just $199 + shipping. This is best price you
will find and is very reasonable considering you could get years out of
your otherwise solid laptop once this annoyance is resolved.
Contact us at <a
href="mailto:fixmylaptop@realeffects.net">fixmylaptop@realeffects.net</a>
with detailed symptoms your
computer is experiencing.
Gateway 400, hangs 450 Gateway 600, Gateway Solo 400, Gateway Solo 600,
Gateway Notebook 450, Gateway laptop lockups, Gateway lock-ups, Gateway
laptop freezes, Gateway freezes, stops responding, mouse freezes, mouse
locks up. Gateway laptop won't boot Gateway notebook will not boot. will
not install windows. Gateway laptop freezes during windows installation.
600 Gateway Notebook 450 hangs.

If you have 400, 450, or 600 series Gateway laptop computer and are
experiencing frequent lockups when cooling fan goes off,
or random freezes while using your laptop we have some good news for you.
[...]

gatewayfixer,

That's great news! Where do I send my money to?

Get the fk out of here u csmfb.