Gaming laptop

Looking for a good gaming laptop around $1500 for grandson. In addition to gaming will be used for college work. Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about gaming laptop
  1. khstumpf said:
    Looking for a good gaming laptop around $1500 for grandson. In addition to gaming will be used for college work. Thanks.

I bought an Asus G51J-A1 after one of my co-workers bought the model back in November. I love it and it plays all the latest games on the highest setting. I also work with some heavy applications for work and it works great with them. This only cost me less than half of what I paid for an Ailienware gaming laptop several years back ago. I got it for under 1400 which is in your price range. I would highly reccomend this for a gaming laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PAQXCW/ref=oss_product
  2. That would be a good choice as well but i prefer the Sager one because of having a better cooling system and a more powerful VGA
  3. I had a bad experience with Pro-Star before which I think is the same as Sager so that probably influenced me. This is my first ASUS laptop and this thing is a gaming powerhouse for pretty cheap with a top rated respected company. I was looking up the specs on customer service before I bought this and ASUS was pretty good. Time will tell though since I hope to not have any issues:-)
  4. I am looking at the Asus G73jh. Looks like a good system and it's going for $1599 locally. Anyone had any experience with it?
  5. These are the specs on the ASUS G73;
    Processor Brand
    Intel®
    Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7
    Processor Speed
    1.6GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz )
    Battery Type
    8-cell lithium-ion
    Display Type
    High-definition widescreen LED-LCD (1600 x 900)
    Screen Size (Measured Diagonally)
    17.3"
    System Bus
    1333MHz
    Cache Memory
    8MB on die Level 2
    System Memory (RAM)
    8GB
    Type of Memory (RAM)
    DDR3
    Hard Drive Type
    SATA (7200 rpm)
    Computer Hard Drive Size
    1TB
    Optical Drive
    Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
    Optical Drive Speeds
    Drive speeds not specified
    Direct-Disc Labeling
    No
    Digital Media Reader or Slots
    Yes, digital media card reader
    Graphics
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
    Video Memory
    1GB GDDR5
    TV Tuner
    No
    MPEG
    Yes
    Built-in Webcam
    Yes
    Modem
    None
    Networking
    Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
    Wireless Networking
    Wireless-B+G+N
    Bluetooth-Enabled
    No
    S-Video Outputs
    None
    Audio
    3D Audio with EAX Advanced HD 4.0
    Speakers
    Internal
    PCMCIA Slots
    None
    USB 2.0 Ports
    IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports
    None
    Parallel Ports
    None
    Game Ports
    None
    Laptop Weight
    Standard (more than 5.5 lbs.)
    Battery Life
    Not available
    Pointing Device
    Touchpad
    HDMI Output
    Yes
    Blu-ray Player
    No
    Operating System Platform
    Windows
    Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Included Software
    Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.1 and more
    ENERGY STAR Qualified
    No
    BBY Software Installer
    No
    Backlit Keyboard
    Yes
  6. Personal experience, no. But Legit Reviews had some fun with it:

Quote:
    Overall, our time with the ASUS G73Jh was up to our standards and ASUS has once again proved itself a force to be reckoned with in the mobile gaming market. ASUS continues to raise the bar with the little things that set their products apart, like a backlit keyboard and an affordable model with a flagship GPU! Add to that the new matte-black, stealth design and you have a combination deserving of the LR Innovation Award!Legit Bottom Line: The ASUS G73Jh Gaming Notebook is perfect for the gamer that likes to travel to the local LAN party, but doesn't want to mess with the hassle of transporting and setting up a desktop gaming rig. The inclusion of the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 GPU in the G73Jh brings top of the line performance at an affordable price with a great design worthy of our Innovation Award!

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1248/1/
  7. And it seems like a good price compared to Amazon at 1999
  8. khstumpf said:
    I am looking at the Asus G73jh. Looks like a good system and it's going for $1599 locally. Anyone had any experience with it?

That's another solid laptop,you didn't mention the screen size you wanted so i didn't post this ASUS model.
    You can find it cheaper from xoticpc
    http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jha2-order-p-2761.html
  9. kindlepower said:
    I had a bad experience with Pro-Star before which I think is the same as Sager so that probably influenced me. This is my first ASUS laptop and this thing is a gaming powerhouse for pretty cheap with a top rated respected company. I was looking up the specs on customer service before I bought this and ASUS was pretty good. Time will tell though since I hope to not have any issues:-)

Every one experiences different results :)
    there are always satisfied and dissatisfied users with a specific brand
  10. True...I was looking at Western Digital Velociraptors today and every other comment is different. Some folks had great results and some had the drives crash within months. Usually your own personal experience sticks with you though.
    I went into a company and had great results from Dell and built our our whole data center with Dell servers.
    The next guy came in and had a bad experience with customer service and has started switching out completely to HP.
    I grew up totally pagan and the next thing you know I find out the Truth and committed my life to Christ. Whodathunkit:-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Gaming College