it's mind boggling...

rahimiv

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
Imagine that just 20 years ago, the computers that we have now were considered Supercomputers back then (I dont even think they had a 1.7 GHz supercomps, I think it ran like 200 Mhz) and today we literally have supercomputers at our fingertip and supercomputers are like unimaginable. So today's supercomputer is tomorrow's desktop?

And just imagine that back in the 60's those ENIAC's costs like 3 million bucks to build (at the time) plus several thousands more to maintain it, and its no more powerful than the calculator we hold in our hand today!

I wonder if technology will ever reach an apex or will it continue increasing until infinity? Sometimes I felt as if we already hit an apex, since it seems as if developments slowed down compared to a year ago... what do you think? will it be tomorrow we'd be playing halo-like games in a cell phone or calculator and desktops would be like 1000 times more powerful and better looking (like photo-realistic FPS..)

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
One problem is that American is actually ending the fighting and rebuilding the country...looks like 3.2 is tops for now. If only some insignificant country could threaten America with nukes and not have any (without the USA knowing that, of course), then we'd see 10GHz Itaniums in no time (and like 16GHz Pentium VIIIs). Oh wait, by the time any country would threaten America, we should have beasts like that anyway.

Damn Rambus.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Nah... Evil aliens attacking is what we need.. (but not <i>too</i> unstoppable obviously.. Then you get the twin 'benifits' of human tech advance getting a good push, Plus captured alien stuff to give new ideas and directions...

<pre>not that I actually want an alien invasion of course... :eek: </pre><p>
---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Have you ever read the 'World War' books by Harry Turtledove? They're all set in World War II, but halfway through some alien lizards invade. Sounds ludicrous, but they're actually really good books - I'd happily recommend them.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I'll go see if my library has them. Looks like I'll have some free time over the next few days to read them too (I guess there is something good about strep). Thanks for the recommendation.

Damn Rambus.

TRENDING THREADS