MN700 Access Point mode and DHCP

MN-700 in Access Point mode.

I've had an issue where Management is greyed out in the MSBBNU, and I could
not access the the router using a browser (http://routername nor
http://ipaddress). Further confusing me was that I could not find the router
using a ping sweep--I knew the IP address and it still was not found. The
only way I got back to manage the router--and apply the new firmware--is to
reset it.

When I originally set up the router in Access Point mode, I let it DHCP its
IP address. I later configured it statically because it was grabbing a bad
IP after a power failure--it was booting faster than the DHCP server and not
using it recent leased address.

Now the issue:
The documentation states that Access Point mode means it is a DHCP client,
but that clearly is not the case (at least in the older firmware). If I set
the IP address manually, will I again lose the ability to manage it--or is
this just a coincidence?

-sc
7 answers Last reply
More about mn700 access point mode dhcp

    What was the IP address it was assigned?

    What was it's subnet mask?

    What was your computers IP address?

    What was your computers subnet mask?

    I thing the answers to those 4 questions will explain why you couldn't
    access the MN-700 while it was in Access point mode.

    SAC wrote:

    > MN-700 in Access Point mode.
    >
    > I've had an issue where Management is greyed out in the MSBBNU, and I could
    > not access the the router using a browser (http://routername nor
    > http://ipaddress). Further confusing me was that I could not find the router
    > using a ping sweep--I knew the IP address and it still was not found. The
    > only way I got back to manage the router--and apply the new firmware--is to
    > reset it.
    >
    > When I originally set up the router in Access Point mode, I let it DHCP its
    > IP address. I later configured it statically because it was grabbing a bad
    > IP after a power failure--it was booting faster than the DHCP server and not
    > using it recent leased address.
    >
    > Now the issue:
    > The documentation states that Access Point mode means it is a DHCP client,
    > but that clearly is not the case (at least in the older firmware). If I set
    > the IP address manually, will I again lose the ability to manage it--or is
    > this just a coincidence?
    >
    > -sc

    None of those things would explain the problem, unless the router has a
    problem with a particular group of addresses, or that I was hapless in
    setting up an IP network. I couldn't say about the former, but will tell you
    the latter is not the problem.

    I used a 10.X.Y.0/24 network address. I'm not saying it didn't function
    otherwise--wireless clients were connecting and traffic was flowing--I just
    couldn't manage it because it wouldn't respond to anything on any port.

    I've got four different wireless cards using the router (with WEP) without
    problems--even a linux workstation with an MN-520. I'm just trying to figure
    out if I'll have to continue resetting the configuration if I need manage
    the router.

    -sc

    "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > What was the IP address it was assigned?
    >
    > What was it's subnet mask?
    >
    > What was your computers IP address?
    >
    > What was your computers subnet mask?
    >

    > I thing the answers to those 4 questions will explain why you couldn't
    > access the MN-700 while it was in Access point mode.
    >
    > SAC wrote:
    >
    > > MN-700 in Access Point mode.
    > >
    > > I've had an issue where Management is greyed out in the MSBBNU, and I
    could
    > > not access the the router using a browser (http://routername nor
    > > http://ipaddress). Further confusing me was that I could not find the
    router
    > > using a ping sweep--I knew the IP address and it still was not found.
    The
    > > only way I got back to manage the router--and apply the new firmware--is
    > > reset it.
    > >
    > > When I originally set up the router in Access Point mode, I let it DHCP
    its
    > > IP address. I later configured it statically because it was grabbing a
    bad
    > > IP after a power failure--it was booting faster than the DHCP server and
    not
    > > using it recent leased address.
    > >
    > > Now the issue:
    > > The documentation states that Access Point mode means it is a DHCP
    client,
    > > but that clearly is not the case (at least in the older firmware). If I
    set
    > > the IP address manually, will I again lose the ability to manage it--or
    is
    > > this just a coincidence?
    > >
    > > -sc

    Well let me explain TCP/IP to you a little bit then. You have the IP
    address which for v4 it is read in binary as well as the subnet mask.

    thus 192.168. 2 .1 = 11000000.10101000.00000010.00000001
    thus 255.255.255.0 = 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000

    The subnet mask will break the IP address into two parts the left part
    which is identified by the parts that are the number "1" in the subnet
    mask While the part after that is only supposed to be zeros identifies
    the device on that network.

    The network is: 11000000.10101000.00000010
    The Device is: 00000001

    This creates a problem because a computer on one network can not connect
    to a computer on a different network unless they have a router between
    them that will connect the two networks together.

    That is why I asked those questions. I was thinking that the network
    was different on the MN-700 verses the computer trying to access it.

    Since you are so arrogant as to refuse answering my questions I see no
    point in helping you any further.

    SAC wrote:

    > None of those things would explain the problem, unless the router has a
    > problem with a particular group of addresses, or that I was hapless in
    > setting up an IP network. I couldn't say about the former, but will tell you
    > the latter is not the problem.
    >
    > I used a 10.X.Y.0/24 network address. I'm not saying it didn't function
    > otherwise--wireless clients were connecting and traffic was flowing--I just
    > couldn't manage it because it wouldn't respond to anything on any port.
    >
    > I've got four different wireless cards using the router (with WEP) without
    > problems--even a linux workstation with an MN-520. I'm just trying to figure
    > out if I'll have to continue resetting the configuration if I need manage
    > the router.
    >
    > -sc
    >

    > "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>What was the IP address it was assigned?
    >>
    >>What was it's subnet mask?
    >>
    >>What was your computers IP address?
    >>
    >>What was your computers subnet mask?
    >>

    >>I thing the answers to those 4 questions will explain why you couldn't
    >>access the MN-700 while it was in Access point mode.
    >>
    >>SAC wrote:
    >>

    >>>MN-700 in Access Point mode.
    >>>
    >>>I've had an issue where Management is greyed out in the MSBBNU, and I
    >
    > could
    >
    >>>not access the the router using a browser (http://routername nor
    >>>http://ipaddress). Further confusing me was that I could not find the
    >
    > router
    >
    >>>using a ping sweep--I knew the IP address and it still was not found.
    >
    > The
    >
    >>>only way I got back to manage the router--and apply the new firmware--is

    >>>reset it.
    >>>
    >>>When I originally set up the router in Access Point mode, I let it DHCP
    >
    > its
    >
    >>>IP address. I later configured it statically because it was grabbing a
    >
    > bad
    >
    >>>IP after a power failure--it was booting faster than the DHCP server and
    >
    > not
    >
    >>>using it recent leased address.
    >>>
    >>>Now the issue:
    >>>The documentation states that Access Point mode means it is a DHCP
    >
    > client,
    >
    >>>but that clearly is not the case (at least in the older firmware). If I
    >
    > set
    >
    >>>the IP address manually, will I again lose the ability to manage it--or
    >
    > is
    >
    >>>this just a coincidence?
    >>>
    >>>-sc

    Hey thanks for the explanation, the subnet mask is a completely new concept
    to me. Did you figure this out all by yourself? Look in the mirror when
    using the word "arrogance", you'll recognize it instantly.

    I asked a specific, and I thought legitmate, question about a quirky
    behavior in the router. One, in fact, that has several references in this
    forum but no real explanation (yes, I did look). The question wasn't "why
    doesn't the internet work" or something else that would indicate a problem
    with the IP settings.

    I understand that in trying to get at an issue, you have to start
    somewhere--and it's usually best to start at the beginning. I thought I was
    rather reserved in letting you know that the direction you were taking was
    going down the wrong road, but you chose to get nasty rather than move on.

    Next you'll be telling me what a CIDR is, I'm all tingly with anticipation.

    > Well let me explain TCP/IP to you a little bit then. You have the IP
    > address which for v4 it is read in binary as well as the subnet mask.
    >
    > thus 192.168. 2 .1 = 11000000.10101000.00000010.00000001
    > thus 255.255.255.0 = 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000
    >
    > The subnet mask will break the IP address into two parts the left part
    > which is identified by the parts that are the number "1" in the subnet
    > mask While the part after that is only supposed to be zeros identifies
    > the device on that network.
    >
    > The network is: 11000000.10101000.00000010
    > The Device is: 00000001
    >
    > This creates a problem because a computer on one network can not connect
    > to a computer on a different network unless they have a router between
    > them that will connect the two networks together.
    >
    > That is why I asked those questions. I was thinking that the network
    > was different on the MN-700 verses the computer trying to access it.
    >
    > Since you are so arrogant as to refuse answering my questions I see no
    > point in helping you any further.
    >
    > SAC wrote:
    >
    > > None of those things would explain the problem, unless the router has a
    > > problem with a particular group of addresses, or that I was hapless in
    > > setting up an IP network. I couldn't say about the former, but will tell
    you
    > > the latter is not the problem.
    > >
    > > I used a 10.X.Y.0/24 network address. I'm not saying it didn't function
    > > otherwise--wireless clients were connecting and traffic was flowing--I
    just
    > > couldn't manage it because it wouldn't respond to anything on any port.
    > >
    > > I've got four different wireless cards using the router (with WEP)
    without
    > > problems--even a linux workstation with an MN-520. I'm just trying to
    figure
    > > out if I'll have to continue resetting the configuration if I need
    manage
    > > the router.
    > >
    > > -sc
    > >

    > > "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>What was the IP address it was assigned?
    > >>
    > >>What was it's subnet mask?
    > >>
    > >>What was your computers IP address?
    > >>
    > >>What was your computers subnet mask?
    > >>

    > >>I thing the answers to those 4 questions will explain why you couldn't
    > >>access the MN-700 while it was in Access point mode.

    > > could

    > > router

    > > The

    > > its

    > > bad

    > > not

    > > client,

    > > set

    > > is

    When in Access Point mode, the MN-700 is always a DHCP client. I am pretty
    sure it has been that way since before the product was released. You can and
    should set the hostname so that you can access it by name.

    If there is a problem with the boot sequence, a simple power cycle of the
    MN-700 only should allow it to get a proper address from the DHCP server.

    --
    Neel Malik
    Program Manager

    "SAC" <nothanks@aol.org> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>
    >> > None of those things would explain the problem, unless the router has a
    >> > problem with a particular group of addresses, or that I was hapless in
    >> > setting up an IP network. I couldn't say about the former, but will
    >> > tell
    > you
    >> > the latter is not the problem.
    >> >
    >> > I used a 10.X.Y.0/24 network address. I'm not saying it didn't function
    >> > otherwise--wireless clients were connecting and traffic was flowing--I
    > just
    >> > couldn't manage it because it wouldn't respond to anything on any port.
    >> >
    >> > I've got four different wireless cards using the router (with WEP)
    > without
    >> > problems--even a linux workstation with an MN-520. I'm just trying to
    > figure
    >> > out if I'll have to continue resetting the configuration if I need

    That's the way the docs read, but found I could "force" a static IP if I
    configured it first (can't remember if it was the WAN or LAN setting), then
    set it to Access Point mode. Maybe it just reverted to the configured IP
    when failing to find a DHCP server, but I don't have any records of a DHCP
    request from the router in my DHCP server logs.

    I'm going to try this again and see if it works the same with the new
    firmware. (Anyone care to venture a guess why AP mode must do DHCP?)

    A power cycle may be simple, but it's difficult when I'm not home to do it
    an the rest of the house wants to do some browsing. I showed the wife, but
    not sure it "took".

    Thanks for the sane response.

    -sc

    "Neel Malik [MSFT]" <neelm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When in Access Point mode, the MN-700 is always a DHCP client. I am pretty
    > sure it has been that way since before the product was released. You can
    and
    > should set the hostname so that you can access it by name.
    >
    > If there is a problem with the boot sequence, a simple power cycle of the
    > MN-700 only should allow it to get a proper address from the DHCP server.
    >
    > --
    > Neel Malik
    > Program Manager
    > Microsoft Corporation

    rights.

    You can do this for the MN500, but I've never seen this work reliably (if at
    all) with the MN700.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    > That's the way the docs read, but found I could "force" a static IP if I
    > configured it first (can't remember if it was the WAN or LAN setting),
    > then
    > set it to Access Point mode. Maybe it just reverted to the configured IP
    > when failing to find a DHCP server, but I don't have any records of a
    > DHCP
    > request from the router in my DHCP server logs.
    >
    > I'm going to try this again and see if it works the same with the new
    > firmware. (Anyone care to venture a guess why AP mode must do DHCP?)
    >
    > A power cycle may be simple, but it's difficult when I'm not home to do it
    > an the rest of the house wants to do some browsing. I showed the wife, but
    > not sure it "took".
    >
    > Thanks for the sane response.
    >
    > -sc
    >
    > "Neel Malik [MSFT]" <neelm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> When in Access Point mode, the MN-700 is always a DHCP client. I am
    >> pretty
    >> sure it has been that way since before the product was released. You can
    > and
    >> should set the hostname so that you can access it by name.
    >>
    >> If there is a problem with the boot sequence, a simple power cycle of the
    >> MN-700 only should allow it to get a proper address from the DHCP server.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neel Malik
    >> Program Manager
    >> Microsoft Corporation