MN700 Access Point mode and DHCP

Last response: in Networking
August 25, 2004 5:02:39 PM

MN-700 in Access Point mode.

I've had an issue where Management is greyed out in the MSBBNU, and I could
not access the the router using a browser (http://routername nor
http://ipaddress). Further confusing me was that I could not find the router
using a ping sweep--I knew the IP address and it still was not found. The
only way I got back to manage the router--and apply the new firmware--is to
reset it.

When I originally set up the router in Access Point mode, I let it DHCP its
IP address. I later configured it statically because it was grabbing a bad
IP after a power failure--it was booting faster than the DHCP server and not
using it recent leased address.

Now the issue:
The documentation states that Access Point mode means it is a DHCP client,
but that clearly is not the case (at least in the older firmware). If I set
the IP address manually, will I again lose the ability to manage it--or is
this just a coincidence?

-sc
August 25, 2004 7:04:48 PM

What was the IP address it was assigned?

What was it's subnet mask?

What was your computers IP address?

What was your computers subnet mask?

I thing the answers to those 4 questions will explain why you couldn't
access the MN-700 while it was in Access point mode.

SAC wrote:

> MN-700 in Access Point mode.
>
> I've had an issue where Management is greyed out in the MSBBNU, and I could
> not access the the router using a browser (http://routername nor
> http://ipaddress). Further confusing me was that I could not find the router
> using a ping sweep--I knew the IP address and it still was not found. The
> only way I got back to manage the router--and apply the new firmware--is to
> reset it.
>
> When I originally set up the router in Access Point mode, I let it DHCP its
> IP address. I later configured it statically because it was grabbing a bad
> IP after a power failure--it was booting faster than the DHCP server and not
> using it recent leased address.
>
> Now the issue:
> The documentation states that Access Point mode means it is a DHCP client,
> but that clearly is not the case (at least in the older firmware). If I set
> the IP address manually, will I again lose the ability to manage it--or is
> this just a coincidence?
>
> -sc

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 5:42:47 PM

None of those things would explain the problem, unless the router has a
problem with a particular group of addresses, or that I was hapless in
setting up an IP network. I couldn't say about the former, but will tell you
the latter is not the problem.

I used a 10.X.Y.0/24 network address. I'm not saying it didn't function
otherwise--wireless clients were connecting and traffic was flowing--I just
couldn't manage it because it wouldn't respond to anything on any port.

I've got four different wireless cards using the router (with WEP) without
problems--even a linux workstation with an MN-520. I'm just trying to figure
out if I'll have to continue resetting the configuration if I need manage
the router.

-sc

"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> What was the IP address it was assigned?
>
> What was it's subnet mask?
>
> What was your computers IP address?
>
> What was your computers subnet mask?
>

> I thing the answers to those 4 questions will explain why you couldn't
> access the MN-700 while it was in Access point mode.
>
> SAC wrote:
>
> > MN-700 in Access Point mode.
> >
> > I've had an issue where Management is greyed out in the MSBBNU, and I
could
> > not access the the router using a browser (http://routername nor
> > http://ipaddress). Further confusing me was that I could not find the
router
> > using a ping sweep--I knew the IP address and it still was not found.
The
> > only way I got back to manage the router--and apply the new firmware--is
> > reset it.
> >
> > When I originally set up the router in Access Point mode, I let it DHCP
its
> > IP address. I later configured it statically because it was grabbing a
bad
> > IP after a power failure--it was booting faster than the DHCP server and
not
> > using it recent leased address.
> >
> > Now the issue:
> > The documentation states that Access Point mode means it is a DHCP
client,
> > but that clearly is not the case (at least in the older firmware). If I
set
> > the IP address manually, will I again lose the ability to manage it--or
is
> > this just a coincidence?
> >
> > -sc

Related resources
August 26, 2004 5:42:48 PM

Well let me explain TCP/IP to you a little bit then. You have the IP
address which for v4 it is read in binary as well as the subnet mask.

thus 192.168. 2 .1 = 11000000.10101000.00000010.00000001
thus 255.255.255.0 = 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000

The subnet mask will break the IP address into two parts the left part
which is identified by the parts that are the number "1" in the subnet
mask While the part after that is only supposed to be zeros identifies
the device on that network.

The network is: 11000000.10101000.00000010
The Device is: 00000001

This creates a problem because a computer on one network can not connect
to a computer on a different network unless they have a router between
them that will connect the two networks together.

That is why I asked those questions. I was thinking that the network
was different on the MN-700 verses the computer trying to access it.

Since you are so arrogant as to refuse answering my questions I see no
point in helping you any further.

SAC wrote:

> None of those things would explain the problem, unless the router has a
> problem with a particular group of addresses, or that I was hapless in
> setting up an IP network. I couldn't say about the former, but will tell you
> the latter is not the problem.
>
> I used a 10.X.Y.0/24 network address. I'm not saying it didn't function
> otherwise--wireless clients were connecting and traffic was flowing--I just
> couldn't manage it because it wouldn't respond to anything on any port.
>
> I've got four different wireless cards using the router (with WEP) without
> problems--even a linux workstation with an MN-520. I'm just trying to figure
> out if I'll have to continue resetting the configuration if I need manage
> the router.
>
> -sc
>

> "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
>
>>What was the IP address it was assigned?
>>
>>What was it's subnet mask?
>>
>>What was your computers IP address?
>>
>>What was your computers subnet mask?
>>

>>I thing the answers to those 4 questions will explain why you couldn't
>>access the MN-700 while it was in Access point mode.
>>
>>SAC wrote:
>>

>>>MN-700 in Access Point mode.
>>>
>>>I've had an issue where Management is greyed out in the MSBBNU, and I
>
> could
>
>>>not access the the router using a browser (http://routername nor
>>>http://ipaddress). Further confusing me was that I could not find the
>
> router
>
>>>using a ping sweep--I knew the IP address and it still was not found.
>
> The
>
>>>only way I got back to manage the router--and apply the new firmware--is

>>>reset it.
>>>
>>>When I originally set up the router in Access Point mode, I let it DHCP
>
> its
>
>>>IP address. I later configured it statically because it was grabbing a
>
> bad
>
>>>IP after a power failure--it was booting faster than the DHCP server and
>
> not
>
>>>using it recent leased address.
>>>
>>>Now the issue:
>>>The documentation states that Access Point mode means it is a DHCP
>
> client,
>
>>>but that clearly is not the case (at least in the older firmware). If I
>
> set
>
>>>the IP address manually, will I again lose the ability to manage it--or
>
> is
>
>>>this just a coincidence?
>>>
>>>-sc

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:15:30 PM

Hey thanks for the explanation, the subnet mask is a completely new concept
to me. Did you figure this out all by yourself? Look in the mirror when
using the word "arrogance", you'll recognize it instantly.

I asked a specific, and I thought legitmate, question about a quirky
behavior in the router. One, in fact, that has several references in this
forum but no real explanation (yes, I did look). The question wasn't "why
doesn't the internet work" or something else that would indicate a problem
with the IP settings.

I understand that in trying to get at an issue, you have to start
somewhere--and it's usually best to start at the beginning. I thought I was
rather reserved in letting you know that the direction you were taking was
going down the wrong road, but you chose to get nasty rather than move on.

Next you'll be telling me what a CIDR is, I'm all tingly with anticipation.

news:o Gx5fD6iEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Well let me explain TCP/IP to you a little bit then. You have the IP
> address which for v4 it is read in binary as well as the subnet mask.
>
> thus 192.168. 2 .1 = 11000000.10101000.00000010.00000001
> thus 255.255.255.0 = 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000
>
> The subnet mask will break the IP address into two parts the left part
> which is identified by the parts that are the number "1" in the subnet
> mask While the part after that is only supposed to be zeros identifies
> the device on that network.
>
> The network is: 11000000.10101000.00000010
> The Device is: 00000001
>
> This creates a problem because a computer on one network can not connect
> to a computer on a different network unless they have a router between
> them that will connect the two networks together.
>
> That is why I asked those questions. I was thinking that the network
> was different on the MN-700 verses the computer trying to access it.
>
> Since you are so arrogant as to refuse answering my questions I see no
> point in helping you any further.
>
> SAC wrote:
>
> > None of those things would explain the problem, unless the router has a
> > problem with a particular group of addresses, or that I was hapless in
> > setting up an IP network. I couldn't say about the former, but will tell
you
> > the latter is not the problem.
> >
> > I used a 10.X.Y.0/24 network address. I'm not saying it didn't function
> > otherwise--wireless clients were connecting and traffic was flowing--I
just
> > couldn't manage it because it wouldn't respond to anything on any port.
> >
> > I've got four different wireless cards using the router (with WEP)
without
> > problems--even a linux workstation with an MN-520. I'm just trying to
figure
> > out if I'll have to continue resetting the configuration if I need
manage
> > the router.
> >
> > -sc
> >

> > "joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>What was the IP address it was assigned?
> >>
> >>What was it's subnet mask?
> >>
> >>What was your computers IP address?
> >>
> >>What was your computers subnet mask?
> >>

> >>I thing the answers to those 4 questions will explain why you couldn't
> >>access the MN-700 while it was in Access point mode.

> > could

> > router

> > The

> > its

> > bad

> > not

> > client,

> > set

> > is

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 6:25:23 PM

When in Access Point mode, the MN-700 is always a DHCP client. I am pretty
sure it has been that way since before the product was released. You can and
should set the hostname so that you can access it by name.

If there is a problem with the boot sequence, a simple power cycle of the
MN-700 only should allow it to get a proper address from the DHCP server.

--
Neel Malik
Program Manager

"SAC" <nothanks@aol.org> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> > None of those things would explain the problem, unless the router has a
>> > problem with a particular group of addresses, or that I was hapless in
>> > setting up an IP network. I couldn't say about the former, but will
>> > tell
> you
>> > the latter is not the problem.
>> >
>> > I used a 10.X.Y.0/24 network address. I'm not saying it didn't function
>> > otherwise--wireless clients were connecting and traffic was flowing--I
> just
>> > couldn't manage it because it wouldn't respond to anything on any port.
>> >
>> > I've got four different wireless cards using the router (with WEP)
> without
>> > problems--even a linux workstation with an MN-520. I'm just trying to
> figure
>> > out if I'll have to continue resetting the configuration if I need

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 9:27:57 PM

That's the way the docs read, but found I could "force" a static IP if I
configured it first (can't remember if it was the WAN or LAN setting), then
set it to Access Point mode. Maybe it just reverted to the configured IP
when failing to find a DHCP server, but I don't have any records of a DHCP
request from the router in my DHCP server logs.

I'm going to try this again and see if it works the same with the new
firmware. (Anyone care to venture a guess why AP mode must do DHCP?)

A power cycle may be simple, but it's difficult when I'm not home to do it
an the rest of the house wants to do some browsing. I showed the wife, but
not sure it "took".

Thanks for the sane response.

-sc

"Neel Malik [MSFT]" <neelm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When in Access Point mode, the MN-700 is always a DHCP client. I am pretty
> sure it has been that way since before the product was released. You can
and
> should set the hostname so that you can access it by name.
>
> If there is a problem with the boot sequence, a simple power cycle of the
> MN-700 only should allow it to get a proper address from the DHCP server.
>
> --
> Neel Malik
> Program Manager
> Microsoft Corporation

rights.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 10:36:21 PM

You can do this for the MN500, but I've never seen this work reliably (if at
all) with the MN700.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -