REINSTALL - 2 PROBLEMS - REACTIVATE & EXTENDED PARTITION

dw

I reinstalled XPsp1, by deleting the partition it was originally installed
on, recreating the partition, and reformatting the partition, then
reinstalling via Windows Setup.

Now when I try to get Windows Updates it wants me to reactivate. My system
has not changed so why do I have to reactivate?

ALSO

I recreated the partition, and reformatted it, during XPsp1 sestup, and then
reinstalled XPsp1 - now, when I view the disks via Computer Management it
shows:
C: (the recreated/reformatted/with reinstalled XPsp1 partition) as
Extended Partition - Logical Drive (Boot)
D: (data) as Primary Partition (System)
E: (backups) as Primary Partition

So, do I have to start over again? (I began this little adventure back on
Thursday evening - I think I have stuffed up everything I could have so far!
:-/.)

Thanks for any assistance.

DeeDee

The activation information was stored on the drive that you reformatted.
If it has been over 120 days since the last activation, you should be able
to activate over the Internet.
If not then just activate over the phone.

The names commonly used for partitions containing the startup and operating
system files are system and boot partitions, respectively.
D has the startup files for XP. It must be the active partition.
Is it the first partition? It doesn't make any difference, just curious.
Did you reletter the drives?
What size is C?
--
Ron Sommer

"dw" <deedee@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I reinstalled XPsp1, by deleting the partition it was originally installed
> on, recreating the partition, and reformatting the partition, then
> reinstalling via Windows Setup.
>
> Now when I try to get Windows Updates it wants me to reactivate. My
> system
> has not changed so why do I have to reactivate?
>
> ALSO
>
> I recreated the partition, and reformatted it, during XPsp1 sestup, and
> then
> reinstalled XPsp1 - now, when I view the disks via Computer Management it
> shows:
> C: (the recreated/reformatted/with reinstalled XPsp1 partition) as
> Extended Partition - Logical Drive (Boot)
> D: (data) as Primary Partition (System)
> E: (backups) as Primary Partition
>
> So, do I have to start over again? (I began this little adventure back on
> Thursday evening - I think I have stuffed up everything I could have so
> far!
> :-/.)
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> DeeDee

deedee

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2003

Thank you so much for responding Ron.

I activated XP yesterday! Then reinstalled. So will have to reactivate
over the phone - hope they do this 24/7. I have to get this finished!

The c: (1st) extended partition/logical drive has XP Pro & Programs
installed on it.
The d: (2nd) partition/primary drive is just for data
The e: (3rd) partition/primary drive is for backups.

None of the drives are marked as "active".

So, no D is not the first partition. And I didn't reletter the drives. c:
is 20gig

It sounds like I do need to reinstall. Which is fine if I do. I just want
to get it finished and get it right finally. (I hope!)

In which case I would be doing clean install of XPsp1 by:

deleting ALL existing partitions
create first partition and reformat using XP setup
install XPsp1 on first partition
once XP is installed and loaded, create and format the remaining partitions
from within windows using XP

and, I need to nominate c as the "active" partition?

Does that sound right?

Thanks for your help and any further assistance you can offer.

DeeDee

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> The activation information was stored on the drive that you reformatted.
> If it has been over 120 days since the last activation, you should be able
> to activate over the Internet.
> If not then just activate over the phone.
>
> The names commonly used for partitions containing the startup and operating
> system files are system and boot partitions, respectively.
> D has the startup files for XP. It must be the active partition.
> Is it the first partition? It doesn't make any difference, just curious.
> Did you reletter the drives?
> What size is C?
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "dw" <deedee@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I reinstalled XPsp1, by deleting the partition it was originally installed
> > on, recreating the partition, and reformatting the partition, then
> > reinstalling via Windows Setup.
> >
> > Now when I try to get Windows Updates it wants me to reactivate. My
> > system
> > has not changed so why do I have to reactivate?
> >
> > ALSO
> >
> > I recreated the partition, and reformatted it, during XPsp1 sestup, and
> > then
> > reinstalled XPsp1 - now, when I view the disks via Computer Management it
> > shows:
> > C: (the recreated/reformatted/with reinstalled XPsp1 partition) as
> > Extended Partition - Logical Drive (Boot)
> > D: (data) as Primary Partition (System)
> > E: (backups) as Primary Partition
> >
> > So, do I have to start over again? (I began this little adventure back on
> > Thursday evening - I think I have stuffed up everything I could have so
> > far!
> > :-/.)
> >
> > Thanks for any assistance.
> >
> > DeeDee

You don't have to reinstall, but now would be the best time to straighten up
the partitions.
D has the boot files, so if you deleted D, then XP won't boot.
Boot to the install CD.
Cancel the install and go into maintenance.
Delete the first partition, create a primary partition, format and make it
active, install XP.
There is no need to delete the other partitions.
--
Ron Sommer

"DeeDee" <DeeDee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > reinstalling via Windows Setup.
>> >
>> > Now when I try to get Windows Updates it wants me to reactivate. My
>> > system
>> > has not changed so why do I have to reactivate?
>> >
>> > ALSO
>> >
>> > I recreated the partition, and reformatted it, during XPsp1 sestup, and
>> > then
>> > reinstalled XPsp1 - now, when I view the disks via Computer Management
>> > it
>> > shows:
>> > C: (the recreated/reformatted/with reinstalled XPsp1 partition) as
>> > Extended Partition - Logical Drive (Boot)
>> > D: (data) as Primary Partition (System)
>> > E: (backups) as Primary Partition
>> >
>> > So, do I have to start over again? (I began this little adventure back
>> > on
>> > Thursday evening - I think I have stuffed up everything I could have so

Just one other point about Partitioning with the XP CD. Partitions are
generally initialized by a system boot. If you use the XP CD to change
the structures, I would exit the Install process after changes and boot
the machine again. This ensures that partitions are as you expect and
that Drive letters are assigned correctly. This can help you avoid the
end result of XP being installed on Drive D:, E:....In other words make
your changes and restart the installation process to verify that it is in
fact the way you want - those 5-7 minutes are worth it.

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> You don't have to reinstall, but now would be the best time to straighten
> up the partitions.
> D has the boot files, so if you deleted D, then XP won't boot.
> Boot to the install CD.
> Cancel the install and go into maintenance.
> Delete the first partition, create a primary partition, format and make it
> active, install XP.
> There is no need to delete the other partitions.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "DeeDee" <DeeDee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you so much for responding Ron.
>>
>> I activated XP yesterday! Then reinstalled. So will have to reactivate
>> over the phone - hope they do this 24/7. I have to get this finished!
>>
>> The c: (1st) extended partition/logical drive has XP Pro & Programs
>> installed on it.
>> The d: (2nd) partition/primary drive is just for data
>> The e: (3rd) partition/primary drive is for backups.
>>
>> None of the drives are marked as "active".
>>
>> So, no D is not the first partition. And I didn't reletter the drives.
>> c:
>> is 20gig
>>
>> It sounds like I do need to reinstall. Which is fine if I do. I just
>> want
>> to get it finished and get it right finally. (I hope!)
>>
>> In which case I would be doing clean install of XPsp1 by:
>>
>> deleting ALL existing partitions
>> create first partition and reformat using XP setup
>> install XPsp1 on first partition
>> once XP is installed and loaded, create and format the remaining
>> partitions
>> from within windows using XP
>>
>> and, I need to nominate c as the "active" partition?
>>
>> Does that sound right?
>>
>> Thanks for your help and any further assistance you can offer.
>>
>> DeeDee
>>
>> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>>
>>> The activation information was stored on the drive that you reformatted.
>>> If it has been over 120 days since the last activation, you should be
>>> able
>>> to activate over the Internet.
>>> If not then just activate over the phone.
>>>
>>> The names commonly used for partitions containing the startup and
>>> operating
>>> system files are system and boot partitions, respectively.
>>> D has the startup files for XP. It must be the active partition.
>>> Is it the first partition? It doesn't make any difference, just
>>> curious.
>>> Did you reletter the drives?
>>> What size is C?
>>> --
>>> Ron Sommer
>>>
>>> "dw" <deedee@yahoo.com> wrote in message

dw

OK, thanks again, and for such a quick response. Agree, I definitely want
to get things right now, rather than later. Will try your suggestions
immediately.

DeeDee

> You don't have to reinstall, but now would be the best time to straighten
up
> the partitions.
> D has the boot files, so if you deleted D, then XP won't boot.
> Boot to the install CD.
> Cancel the install and go into maintenance.
> Delete the first partition, create a primary partition, format and make it
> active, install XP.
> There is no need to delete the other partitions.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "DeeDee" <DeeDee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you so much for responding Ron.
> >
> > I activated XP yesterday! Then reinstalled. So will have to reactivate
> > over the phone - hope they do this 24/7. I have to get this finished!
> >
> > The c: (1st) extended partition/logical drive has XP Pro & Programs
> > installed on it.
> > The d: (2nd) partition/primary drive is just for data
> > The e: (3rd) partition/primary drive is for backups.
> >
> > None of the drives are marked as "active".
> >
> > So, no D is not the first partition. And I didn't reletter the drives.
> > c:
> > is 20gig
> >
> > It sounds like I do need to reinstall. Which is fine if I do. I just
> > want
> > to get it finished and get it right finally. (I hope!)
> >
> > In which case I would be doing clean install of XPsp1 by:
> >
> > deleting ALL existing partitions
> > create first partition and reformat using XP setup
> > install XPsp1 on first partition
> > once XP is installed and loaded, create and format the remaining
> > partitions
> > from within windows using XP
> >
> > and, I need to nominate c as the "active" partition?
> >
> > Does that sound right?
> >
> > Thanks for your help and any further assistance you can offer.
> >
> > DeeDee
> >
> > "Ron Sommer" wrote:
> >
> >> The activation information was stored on the drive that you
reformatted.
> >> If it has been over 120 days since the last activation, you should be
> >> able
> >> to activate over the Internet.
> >> If not then just activate over the phone.
> >>
> >> The names commonly used for partitions containing the startup and
> >> operating
> >> system files are system and boot partitions, respectively.
> >> D has the startup files for XP. It must be the active partition.
> >> Is it the first partition? It doesn't make any difference, just
curious.
> >> Did you reletter the drives?
> >> What size is C?
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer
> >>
> >> "dw" <deedee@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Management

The reactivation requirement is normal if clean installed.

There's something you're not telling us regarding the partition's previous
condition, and windows boot partition location.

"dw" <deedee@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I reinstalled XPsp1, by deleting the partition it was originally installed
> on, recreating the partition, and reformatting the partition, then
> reinstalling via Windows Setup.
>
> Now when I try to get Windows Updates it wants me to reactivate. My
system
> has not changed so why do I have to reactivate?
>
> ALSO
>
> I recreated the partition, and reformatted it, during XPsp1 sestup, and
then
> reinstalled XPsp1 - now, when I view the disks via Computer Management it
> shows:
> C: (the recreated/reformatted/with reinstalled XPsp1 partition) as
> Extended Partition - Logical Drive (Boot)
> D: (data) as Primary Partition (System)
> E: (backups) as Primary Partition
>
> So, do I have to start over again? (I began this little adventure back on
> Thursday evening - I think I have stuffed up everything I could have so
far!
> :-/.)
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> DeeDee

dw

Thanks to all for help offered.

I have repartitioned, reformatted, reinstalled. Whilst it looks OK now. I
wasn't given any opportunity to mark the partition as Active from within
setup - and wasn't overly concerned as I thought I would be able to do this
from Computer Management - however, I am only able to mark either the 2nd or
3rd partitions as active, when I try to do so for the 1st partition - the
option is dimmed out. Is this an issue now, or in the future?

Thanks again.

DeeDee

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Just one other point about Partitioning with the XP CD. Partitions are
> generally initialized by a system boot. If you use the XP CD to change
> the structures, I would exit the Install process after changes and boot
> the machine again. This ensures that partitions are as you expect and
> that Drive letters are assigned correctly. This can help you avoid the
> end result of XP being installed on Drive D:, E:....In other words make
> your changes and restart the installation process to verify that it is in
> fact the way you want - those 5-7 minutes are worth it.
>
> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> > You don't have to reinstall, but now would be the best time to
straighten
> > up the partitions.
> > D has the boot files, so if you deleted D, then XP won't boot.
> > Boot to the install CD.
> > Cancel the install and go into maintenance.
> > Delete the first partition, create a primary partition, format and make
it
> > active, install XP.
> > There is no need to delete the other partitions.
> > --
> > Ron Sommer
> >
> > "DeeDee" <DeeDee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Thank you so much for responding Ron.
> >>
> >> I activated XP yesterday! Then reinstalled. So will have to
reactivate
> >> over the phone - hope they do this 24/7. I have to get this finished!
> >>
> >> The c: (1st) extended partition/logical drive has XP Pro & Programs
> >> installed on it.
> >> The d: (2nd) partition/primary drive is just for data
> >> The e: (3rd) partition/primary drive is for backups.
> >>
> >> None of the drives are marked as "active".
> >>
> >> So, no D is not the first partition. And I didn't reletter the drives.
> >> c:
> >> is 20gig
> >>
> >> It sounds like I do need to reinstall. Which is fine if I do. I just
> >> want
> >> to get it finished and get it right finally. (I hope!)
> >>
> >> In which case I would be doing clean install of XPsp1 by:
> >>
> >> deleting ALL existing partitions
> >> create first partition and reformat using XP setup
> >> install XPsp1 on first partition
> >> once XP is installed and loaded, create and format the remaining
> >> partitions
> >> from within windows using XP
> >>
> >> and, I need to nominate c as the "active" partition?
> >>
> >> Does that sound right?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help and any further assistance you can offer.
> >>
> >> DeeDee

Management
as

Ron Sommer

"dw" <dd_words@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Thanks to all for help offered.
>
> I have repartitioned, reformatted, reinstalled. Whilst it looks OK now.
> wasn't given any opportunity to mark the partition as Active from within
> setup - and wasn't overly concerned as I thought I would be able to do
> this
> from Computer Management - however, I am only able to mark either the 2nd
> or
> 3rd partitions as active, when I try to do so for the 1st partition - the
> option is dimmed out. Is this an issue now, or in the future?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> DeeDee

snipped