Presario 5711 Canadian

Hi:
Trying to install a USB 2.0 card in my old compaq. There is an available PCI
slot, but I can't remove the little metal cover that protects the opening
from invasion by dust. It's held in by an extension card retention bracket
which I can remove with no problem. However, the metal slot cover will not
come out. It seems to be sealed in there somehow. I can pry it apart at the
bottom and the sides, but in the middle it is firmly held by something. Any
ideas, anyone. I'm scared to push too hard on it for fear of damaging some
other parts.
Thanks in advance.

"jennyjay" <bgclarke@mts.net> wrote in message
> Hi:
> Trying to install a USB 2.0 card in my old compaq. There is an available
PCI
> slot, but I can't remove the little metal cover that protects the opening
> from invasion by dust. It's held in by an extension card retention bracket
> which I can remove with no problem. However, the metal slot cover will not
> come out. It seems to be sealed in there somehow. I can pry it apart at
the
> bottom and the sides, but in the middle it is firmly held by something.
Any
> ideas, anyone. I'm scared to push too hard on it for fear of damaging some
> other parts.
> Thanks in advance.

Don't know about your model but on other units you need to twist (that is to
break ) it off. I found something about installing a card specifically to
your model, perhaps this help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=br&docname=c00006862&pr
oduct=93570&dlc=pt&lang=en

hh

Check here for the Maintenance & Service Guide for your 5711:

http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/5700/

HH