Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Boot Error

Last response: in Windows 7
November 15, 2012 9:38:09 PM

Running Windows 7 in a RAID 0, and periodically I will get a boot failure error with the message No default or UI configuration directive found. This usually happens if I do some kind of heavy maintenance on my system. For example I might remove my graphics card or cpu cooler to blow the dust out of it. The other day I replaced the RAM and that triggered it. After doing those kinds of things inevitably when I go to restart I get this boot failure and message. So I go through the same process every time of booting to my Windows 7 repair disc and running automatic startup repair and most times that fixes it on the first attempt, but sometimes it takes 2-3 runs of the repair tool before it will boot normally again.

I googled the phrase "No default or UI configuration directive found" and found very little on this issue pertaining to Windows 7. Seems to be a big problem for Ubuntu users and people trying to boot to USB devices.

Can someone help me with this? I feel like I'm always walking on thin ice with this system. I've done it so many times now that I'm almost accustomed to it, but it's actually got me pretty nervous.

Help please.

More about : windows boot error

a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2012 11:04:20 PM

The Ubuntu users are having the problem because they have not configured their BIOS to boot from their boot device correctly. Overclocking can cause this problem so remove any overclocking. As your problem is intermittent I would suspect in the following order of probability a faulty motherboard, faulty power supply, faulty hard drive or faulty memory.
Substitution of the power supply and motherboard or software testing of the hard drive and memory is the way to track down this problem.
m
l
November 16, 2012 2:15:25 AM

Thank you for responding.

I have tested the RAM and PSU so I know they are not the issue. I do not overclock, and the RAID 0 array is also tested and perfectly healthy. That leaves the motherboard which I have no way of testing at present. Just out of curiosity what exactly would be defective on a motherboard that would not affect performance in other ways? Strangely the system runs great in every other way. It runs fast and cool and never gives me any problems other than this one intermittent issue.

Do motherboards become defective slowly or incrementally? I've not heard of this before. I just thought they crapped out and that was it.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 10:43:35 PM

It is possible that the SATA controller is intermittently faulty, try connecting the hard drive to another SATA port.
m
l
November 17, 2012 9:53:08 PM

Well, it's a two disc RAID 0 array, so I can't just switch the SATA ports. I really appreciate your help, but I don't believe this is related to hardware. Based on some anecdotal findings on the web I'm fairly convinced this is related to a corruption in some part of the boot files, maybe the MBR or something related.
m
l
!